Broken Translation Game 2018

This forum is for games of various sorts. Moderators may lock games that are too similar to already existing ones.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Broken Translation Game 2018

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-07, 18:52

I hope it helps you feel less guilty about all the work I have to put in to try to keep up with all the study groups. :twisted:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-07, 18:54

Less guilty? Who said I was feeling guilty at all?

I intend to worse you like a dog!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-07, 22:13

księżycowy wrote:Less guilty? Who said I was feeling guilty at all?

Me! :twisted:
I intend to worse you like a dog!

Worse? :lol:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-07, 22:17

Work.

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2019-01-07, 22:54

vijayjohn wrote:For instance, let's say that I had to translate mein Gepäck ist blau from German into Cayuga and assume that I had access to a good English-Cayuga dictionary and a good grammar for Cayuga. I just look up how to say 'my luggage' and 'is blue' in Cayuga, use a grammar to figure out how to construct this sentence in Cayuga, and voilà, I now have the Cayuga translation. No need for me to write out my luggage is blue in English first.

Maybe that has something to do with the difference between your level in German and my level in Old English? If I had been able to just read and immediately understand the source language, I would have done what you describe.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-07, 23:03

kevin wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:For instance, let's say that I had to translate mein Gepäck ist blau from German into Cayuga and assume that I had access to a good English-Cayuga dictionary and a good grammar for Cayuga. I just look up how to say 'my luggage' and 'is blue' in Cayuga, use a grammar to figure out how to construct this sentence in Cayuga, and voilà, I now have the Cayuga translation. No need for me to write out my luggage is blue in English first.

Maybe that has something to do with the difference between your level in German and my level in Old English? If I had been able to just read and immediately understand the source language, I would have done what you describe.

No, because I had to translate from one language I barely know into another language I barely know. :P

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2019-01-08, 1:58

vijayjohn wrote:What's with y'all (you and księżycowy at least) translating everything into English first? You don't think you can translate into the target language directly? :P

It depends on the language pair. For the 2017 BTG, I translated directly from Portuguese to French using only dictionaries as need be.

vijayjohn wrote:I don't get any of you. :P All the dictionaries and references I used were between English and another language. That still doesn't mean I have to translate the same text twice (first into English and then into the other language). For instance, let's say that I had to translate mein Gepäck ist blau from German into Cayuga and assume that I had access to a good English-Cayuga dictionary and a good grammar for Cayuga. I just look up how to say 'my luggage' and 'is blue' in Cayuga, use a grammar to figure out how to construct this sentence in Cayuga, and voilà, I now have the Cayuga translation. No need for me to write out my luggage is blue in English first.

So you do the same thing, but in your head. I take it you also do it either one sentence or one clause at a time? How is it any different from us writing it out into English? I also think that your method would be harder if you were translating from a language you don't know well. If you were going from Cayuga to German, you would have to possibly look up each word and also a grammar, and I think doing that for a full paragraph or even for several sentences without writing anything down would be hard. In the same vein, I think if I were going from something like French to Tamil, I would be using the same approach as in your example from German to Cayuga.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-08, 2:45

I'm starting to think maybe I should open a new thread in the general language forum (outside the games forum) to demonstrate how I go about translating something, preferably between two completely unfamiliar languages (or at least as unfamiliar as possible), step by step. :) (Especially since otherwise this thread could easily go OT anyway :lol:).

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2019-01-08, 4:53

vijayjohn wrote:I'm starting to think maybe I should open a new thread in the general language forum (outside the games forum) to demonstrate how I go about translating something, preferably between two completely unfamiliar languages (or at least as unfamiliar as possible), step by step. :) (Especially since otherwise this thread could easily go OT anyway :lol:).

Don't we have a translations forum? Does that forum have to be only for multilingual translations? Why not do a thread on translation techniques and approaches? A general-type thread though, i.e., not meant as a discussion for professional translators.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-08, 7:33

Okay, although I was actually thinking along the lines of a thread where people pick languages for me to translate to and from and then I elaborate my procedure for doing that step by step! :P

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2019-01-08, 18:36

vijayjohn wrote:Okay, although I was actually thinking along the lines of a thread where people pick languages for me to translate to and from and then I elaborate my procedure for doing that step by step! :P

Oh cool! I like that idea too.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2019-01-10, 19:33

Ok all, I finally finished my Spanish translation! I'm sorry I took so long. My initial interpretation of the Tamil didn't seem to quite make sense, so I tried to do a more careful pass. But that just confused me, so I finally went with my initial translation. I don't know how cohesive the whole text is, but at least each sentence makes sense! :D

English (Ser) - French (Acceptance4All:)) - Portuguese (Luís) - Tamil (vijayjohn) - Spanish (dEhiN) - Italian (Car) - Irish (linguoboy) - German (kevin) - English (księżycowy)

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2019-01-10, 21:29

Done.
Please correct my mistakes!

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-01-10, 21:31

Car wrote:Done.

Das ging doch schnell!
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2019-01-10, 21:35

linguoboy wrote:

Das ging doch schnell!

She was like that with the FUBAR game as well! She's quite the translator!

English (Ser) - French (Acceptance4All:)) - Portuguese (Luís) - Tamil (vijayjohn) - Spanish (dEhiN) - Italian (Car) - Irish (linguoboy) - German (kevin) - English (księżycowy)[/quote]

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-01-10, 23:07

Fuck me, my Irish is rusty! I was hoping to equal her, but I'm not going to have it done today.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2019-01-11, 10:54

dEhiN wrote:
linguoboy wrote:

Das ging doch schnell!

She was like that with the FUBAR game as well! She's quite the translator!

:lol: I wish. No, I just don't spend ages looking up things and I limit the languages I translate from on purpose.
Please correct my mistakes!

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2019-01-11, 13:39

It's probably just a matter of actually doing it? I mean, it's not like I'm fluent in Old English or Latin, but it didn't take me that much longer. ;)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-01-11, 16:19

kevin wrote:It's probably just a matter of actually doing it? I mean, it's not like I'm fluent in Old English or Latin, but it didn't take me that much longer. ;)

I'd be done by now if I didn't keep second-guessing myself. I'm always worried my English is influencing my Irish too much.

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2019-01-11, 18:44

I hope this didn't come across as criticism on you, that was not at all what I intended. You seem to make good progress and even if you sent the translation only tomorrow, you would still have used a lot less time than the average.

Return to “Games”