Broken Translation Game 2018

This forum is for games of various sorts. Moderators may lock games that are too similar to already existing ones.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator
Broken Translation Game 2018

Postby aaakknu » 2018-11-09, 18:27

Here is the next BTG!

The game is played as follows:
Person A translates the original English text into Language 1
Person B translates Language 1 into Language 2
Person X translates Language n back into English (and this is the resulting text)

Rules
- Once you receive the text, you will have 5 days to complete the translation into the designated target language.
- You may not use online/automated translators like Google Translate or BabelFish.
- The translation must be completed by yourself
- Failure to complete the translation within the time-frame without explanation will result in expulsion from the game.
- When you complete a translation, you need to forward the correct language version to the next person in the chain.
- Please also send a carbon-copy (CC) to me when you send it. This is important.
- You must not discuss the text with anyone else in the chain/game until the game has finished.
- Once the game has entirely finished, the results will be posted

So, if you want to participate, just reply to this thread and mention the language pairs you're willing to translate to/from. For instance:

English -> Spanish
English -> Japanese
English -> Arabic
Spanish -> English
German -> Spanish

It won't be a long text, nothing more than a small paragraph.

THE CHAIN:

English - French (Acceptance4All:)) - Portuguese (Luís) - Mandarin (OldBoring) - Standard Arabic (Ser) - Tamil (vijayjohn) - Spanish (dEhiN) - Italian (Car) - Irish (linguoboy) - German (kevin) - English (księżycowy)
Last edited by aaakknu on 2018-12-08, 16:05, edited 8 times in total.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

Luís
Forum Administrator

Re: Broken Translation Game 2018

Postby Luís » 2018-11-09, 20:03

I'm in... :)

I can translate to and from: Portuguese, Spanish, French and English

In case there's a problem forming the chain, I can also translate from other Romance languages (e.g. Catalan, Italian) but this wouldn't be my first choice...
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-09, 20:24

I'm in too!

I can translate: English <-> German

Reluctantly, I offer the following if a chain is hard to form: Japanese -> English/German; Irish -> English/German.

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2018-11-09, 20:40

Me as well. I can offer from and to German, English, Dutch and Irish.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-09, 20:57

I can do to/from English and French. Depending on how complicated the text is, I could attempt to/from English and Tamil, English and Spanish, and English and Portuguese.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-11, 22:23

Oh wow! I totally didn't realize this thread existed until today!

I of course am going to be the linguistic wildcard as before... :P

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-12, 18:54

dEhiN wrote:I can do to/from English and French. Depending on how complicated the text is, I could attempt to/from English and Tamil, English and Spanish, and English and Portuguese.

I just realized that if all my pairs involve English, that's very limiting. So, I'll offer all four languages - French, Tamil, Spanish, Portuguese - with any pairing.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-12, 18:58

Which ones do you feel comfortable writing in? I think you're pretty comfortable writing in French, right? (And IIRC you did that in the last game, too).

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-12, 19:58

vijayjohn wrote:Which ones do you feel comfortable writing in? I think you're pretty comfortable writing in French, right? (And IIRC you did that in the last game, too).

Yes, and I think I did from Portuguese to French. I definitely am most comfortable writing in French over the other three. I could handle reading in the other three, including in Tamil.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-12, 20:28

*Looks at the chain*

Whelp, I guess this is going to get FUBAR from the start. :lol:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-12, 20:39

Oh, I didn't look at the chain! In that case, I like where Salajane has put me, at the end with the final translation back into English.

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-11-12, 21:10

What if I switch your places? That way it won't be fubar from the start. :D

English - French (dEhiN) - Portuguese/Spanish (Luís) - other languages - German (kevin) - English (księżycowy)

This order is better for the regular game, I think.

By the way, how many participants should we have before we can start?
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-12, 21:16

Salajane wrote:What if I switch your places? That way it won't be fubar from the start. :D

English - French (dEhiN) - Portuguese/Spanish (Luís) - other languages - German (kevin) - English (księżycowy)

This order is better for the regular game, I think.

That works for me; I think księżycowy was the last one last time too!

By the way, how many participants should we have before we can start?

It's up to you, but I suggest waiting for another 2 or 3, at least. You could try advertising about it in the General Language thread, or making it part of your signature.

Depending on if you're ok going into 2019 - starting this year of course - you could count backwards to decide how long to wait. Right now we have 5 of us (including Vijay, with him doing Portuguese/Spanish to German), which means 25 days for the game.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-12, 21:23

If I do Portuguese to German, then what will kevin do?

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2018-11-12, 21:23

dEhiN wrote:That works for me; I think księżycowy was the last one last time too!

And he already knows what it's like to translate my result. Is this his curse? :P

Depending on if you're ok going into 2019 - starting this year of course - you could count backwards to decide how long to wait. Right now we have 5 of us (including Vijay, with him doing Portuguese/Spanish to German), which means 25 days for the game.

If I understand correctly, I'm supposed to translate whatever language into German, so maybe Vijay could do Portuguese/Spanish to Irish as the missing link. Or Dutch if he doesn't want to do Irish. (Or, of course, we can add more languages in between.)

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-11-12, 21:26

kevin wrote:If I understand correctly, I'm supposed to translate whatever language into German, so maybe Vijay could do Portuguese/Spanish to Irish as the missing link. Or Dutch if he doesn't want to do Irish. (Or, of course, we can add more languages in between.)

Yes, you understand correctly, but I hope that there will be some other participants.
TAC 2019

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-12, 21:31

I'll ask my girlfriend if she would like to participate. If she does, however, her only pair would be to/from English and French. But, she could be first and translate into French, and then I could attempt French into Portuguese, letting Luís do Portuguese to Spanish and Vijay to do Spanish to Irish/Dutch. Although that does mean Luís will have to put up with me butchering his beautiful native language! :silly:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-12, 21:34

Me translating into Dutch would be bad enough, but translating into Irish would be even worse. It'll be complete garbage at that point. :lol:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-12, 21:37

vijayjohn wrote:Me translating into Dutch would be bad enough, but translating into Irish would be even worse. It'll be complete garbage at that point. :lol:

But you speak German and English! (Some guy at a language exchange once told me that! Basically because he knew German and English, he was able to communicate with some people speaking Dutch, and apparently they didn't realize he didn't know Dutch! (I could be misremembering that last part - maybe he was just able to understand them and that was it.))

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-12, 21:39

You have no idea how often things like that happen where I work. :P

Return to “Games”