Broken Translation Game 2018

This forum is for games of various sorts. Moderators may lock games that are too similar to already existing ones.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Broken Translation Game 2018

Postby OldBoring » 2018-12-24, 11:10

I, too, am working today on Christmas Eve.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-12-24, 13:30

Have a nice Christmas Eve at work then! :)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-12-31, 20:19

Hey all, I've started working on the Tamil - Spanish translation.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-12-31, 23:56

I'm curious about what it's like for you! I read my Tamil translation out loud to my dad, and he burst out laughing and said it was just Malayalam with some extra suffixes (it's not :P). I was like "that's kind of what Tamil is!" :lol: Later, he tried to imitate my Tamil, which made me laugh so hard I almost cried.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2019-01-01, 4:07

vijayjohn wrote:I'm curious about what it's like for you! I read my Tamil translation out loud to my dad, and he burst out laughing and said it was just Malayalam with some extra suffixes (it's not :P). I was like "that's kind of what Tamil is!" :lol: Later, he tried to imitate my Tamil, which made me laugh so hard I almost cried.

Well...let's just say that when I copied it over into a Google Docs document (with Tamil being set as one of my Google Chrome languages), almost every word was highlighted in red. The same thing happened when I copied the text into a MS Word document (again with having the Tamil language tools installed on my Windows). Some of the words had suggestions but some of them didn't.

This might take me longer than I thought, though I should still be able to finish by Friday. I probably shouldn't have chosen Tamil for this game because I'm effectively having to look up each word. However, I think I have enough of a knowledge of Tamil suffixes and basic grammar rules to figure out what you're trying to say when I combine my knowledge with what I find in the dictionary. If I get really stuck, I do plan to ask my uncle or the Whatsapp Tamil group I mentioned in my 2019 TAC thread. But I'd do that for individual words or short phrases (where I've already tried figuring out the phrase and am stuck). My understanding is that this wouldn't be cheating.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-01, 5:00

I don't think it would be, although you're lucky you have a relative to ask and I got a little nervous when I saw "Google" because I thought the next word would be "Translate." :lol:

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2019-01-01, 13:55

vijayjohn wrote:I'm curious about what it's like for you! I read my Tamil translation out loud to my dad, and he burst out laughing and said it was just Malayalam with some extra suffixes (it's not :P). I was like "that's kind of what Tamil is!" :lol: Later, he tried to imitate my Tamil, which made me laugh so hard I almost cried.

After all, Tamil is bad Malayalam / de-Sanscritized Malayalam.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-03, 1:06

OldBoring wrote:

After all, Tamil is bad Malayalam / de-Sanscritized Malayalam.

Exactly! :D

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2019-01-06, 6:33

Hey all, I haven't forgotten about this game. It's taking me a lot longer than I thought to translate from Tamil. I'll hopefully have it done in the next 2 or 3 days.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-07, 1:57

I understand that; like I said, I don't think the text translates into Tamil very well to begin with for the purposes of a game like this, so the Tamil in my translation is probably pretty weird since I was trying not to paraphrase things.

Any word on FUBAR by the way? Did OB ever reply to you? Did you tell Ser to translate to English instead of Mandarin?

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2019-01-07, 6:21

vijayjohn wrote:I understand that; like I said, I don't think the text translates into Tamil very well to begin with for the purposes of a game like this, so the Tamil in my translation is probably pretty weird since I was trying not to paraphrase things.

Any word on FUBAR by the way? Did OB ever reply to you? Did you tell Ser to translate to English instead of Mandarin?

Oh shoot, I completely forgot about FUBAR! I'll message Ser now. And I should hopefully have my Tamil to English translation done by tomorrow, and then by Tuesday I should have my Spanish translation done. I guess one benefit to my taking so long is that kevin didn't have to do two translations within a week!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-07, 7:39

What's with y'all (you and księżycowy at least) translating everything into English first? You don't think you can translate into the target language directly? :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-07, 9:04

Yeah, cause I know Old English that well. :P
Last edited by księżycowy on 2019-01-07, 9:18, edited 1 time in total.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-07, 9:07

Lol, I didn't even translate into English first for Cayuga. (It wouldn't have helped anyway).

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2019-01-07, 9:21

I for one didn't translate into English first! Only into German. :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-07, 10:17

Which would be equivalent to me or dEhiN translating into English, so..... :P

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2019-01-07, 11:16

Minor details... ;)

Though I didn't really translate German into Latin in the second step, but looked at both version when writing the Latin. The OE dictionary I dug up even included both German and Latin, so I could start from there when looking up Latin words.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-07, 12:42

I guess that is at least partially why I did it into English. My dictionary was only Modern English to Old English, not Polish to Old English.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-07, 18:43

I don't get any of you. :P All the dictionaries and references I used were between English and another language. That still doesn't mean I have to translate the same text twice (first into English and then into the other language). For instance, let's say that I had to translate mein Gepäck ist blau from German into Cayuga and assume that I had access to a good English-Cayuga dictionary and a good grammar for Cayuga. I just look up how to say 'my luggage' and 'is blue' in Cayuga, use a grammar to figure out how to construct this sentence in Cayuga, and voilà, I now have the Cayuga translation. No need for me to write out my luggage is blue in English first.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-07, 18:47

I like giving myself extra work.

Return to “Games”