Oral Broken Translation Game 2

This forum is for games of various sorts. Moderators may lock games that are too similar to already existing ones.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Bubulus
Oral Broken Translation Game 2

Postby Bubulus » 2017-12-04, 19:29

Rules (copied from BTG17 with modifications)
- Once you receive the text, you will have 14 days to complete the translation into the designated target language. Please do the translation as soon and as quickly as possible.
- You may not use online/automated translators like Google Translate or BabelFish.
- The translation must be completed by yourself.
- Failure to complete the translation within the time-frame without explanation will result in expulsion from the game.
- When you receive an audio recording, first transcribe it into written form to be able to see what you understood better.
- Translate the text you received and record your translation a little slowly and as clearly as possible.
- Then you need to send only the audio recording of your translation to the next person in the chain.
- Right afterwards, send a copy of both the link to audio recording and your two transcriptions (what you received and what you passed) to me. This is important.
- You must not discuss the text with anyone else in the chain/game until the game has finished.
- Once the game has entirely finished, the results will be posted.

Considering the huge struggle that Aleco had last time to keep the first oral broken translation game continuing, I strongly suggest only posting languages that you're very familiar with as available for translation. The text hasn't been chosen yet but it will consist of a paragraph of 80~100 words.

How to do the recording?

(EDIT: The following are just suggestions. Feel free to use another site or method to get your audio recording online. soundcloud.com is fine too, for example.)

You can use your phone or your laptop to record it. https://vocaroo.com/ is a convenient web application for making audio recordings from a laptop or computer + microphone, but it needs Adobe Flash Player to be activated in your browser. I think Firefox comes with Adobe Flash already installed and activated (but I haven't checked whether this is true of the latest Firefox that recently came out).

(EDIT: I downloaded the latest Firefox, and it does come with Flash but deactivated. When visiting vocaroo.com, it will ask you whether you want to allow running Flash. Just click on "Allow Now" and it will work.)

Alternatively, you can download Audacity and record it using that program, and then upload the file to https://vocaroo.com/?upload I would suggest saving the recording in OGG format first.

Phones, even ones that are not smartphones, usually come with an application somewhere to record audio. The problem is passing it to the computer: figure out how you can pass the file to your computer (in "dumbphones" it often involves using a cable or a non-straightforward bluetooth connection), and then upload it to https://vocaroo.com/?upload

My languages (from and to):
Spanish, English, French, Standard Arabic, Mandarin, Latin
Last edited by Bubulus on 2017-12-04, 20:58, edited 2 times in total.

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Oral Broken Translation Game 2

Postby aaakknu » 2017-12-04, 20:19

This should be more difficult than the written game. But I want to try. :D

From and into: Ukrainian, English, Estonian, Spanish.
Only into: Finnish.
Last edited by aaakknu on 2017-12-04, 20:45, edited 2 times in total.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-04, 20:33

Question: Does it have to be through Vocaroo? Can we use Soundcloud?

Iván
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Iván » 2017-12-04, 20:42

This sounds awesome. Interpreting is always more exciting than translating.

My languages: Spanish, Catalan, English, Finnish and German.
Minkä nuorena oppii, sen vanhana taitaa.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2017-12-04, 20:58

vijayjohn wrote:Question: Does it have to be through Vocaroo? Can we use Soundcloud?

It doesn't have to be Vocaroo. Soundcloud is fine too.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-12-04, 22:05

What speed will the recordings be at? Could you record a sample of a few lines or something to demonstrate? Because the speed will determine which languages I can do.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-04, 22:35

Ser wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Question: Does it have to be through Vocaroo? Can we use Soundcloud?

It doesn't have to be Vocaroo. Soundcloud is fine too.

Thanks! :)

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2017-12-04, 22:44

I just read the results of last time. This became FUBAR pretty quickly. :lol:

Maybe it would help to use an easier text this time.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2017-12-22, 15:19

dEhiN wrote:What speed will the recordings be at? Could you record a sample of a few lines or something to demonstrate? Because the speed will determine which languages I can do.

https://soundcloud.com/serafin36/el-mudito

The text I read:
El niño mudo

Pedrito era un niño muy callado y al que todos en la escuela asumían como mudo. Incluso lo apodaban ‘el mudito’. Él parecía vivir al margen de todas las burlas; como si habitara en otro espacio. Le gustaba quedarse observando a las hormigas, fascinado con esas que iban a paso lentísimo. Sus compañeras las pisoteaban en su enloquecida marcha del hormiguero a las rosas ida y vuelta, pero ellas seguían a su ritmo, haciendo su trabajo que consistía en algo mucho más importante que aprovisionar el hormiguero para el invierno. Su vida era contemplar y comprender el ir y venir de sus hermanas para interpretar la esencia de las hormigas. Y eso también hacía Pedro.

It's the first paragraph from this children's story. I don't know why an author of a children's story would use words like aprovisionar and poetic word order as in su enloquecida marcha, but I think authors of children's stories are just weird. :lol:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-24, 6:11

Thanks, Ser! :)

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2018-11-16, 10:06

Oral... I could probably only do Italian, Mandarin and (not sure) English...

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2019-02-05, 18:15

After seeing that only 3-4 people joined, I've decided not to run this game. It'd be quite interesting if more people joined and we made it happen though.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-02-06, 4:14

There were six people who posted here, though... :hmm:

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2019-02-06, 4:31

vijayjohn wrote:There were six people who posted here, though... :hmm:

Were there? Me, aaakknu, you, Iván, and OldBoring. It didn't seem like kevin and dEhiN intended to join.

Would a five-person chain be long enough?

Here's a tentative chain...
English -> Ser: Mandarin -> OldBoring: English (or Portuguese or Italian) -> vijayjohn: Spanish -> aaakknu: Finnish -> Iván: English.

If OldBoring is willing to translate into Spanish, we could also get rid of the English mid-step with something like...
English -> Ser: Mandarin -> OldBoring: Spanish -> aaakknu: Finnish -> Iván: German -> vijayjohn: English.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-02-06, 13:23

This might be another game we'd have to time differently from the other translation games for it to be fun. :hmm:

Return to “Games”