BTG Archives

This forum is for games of various sorts. Moderators may lock games that are too similar to already existing ones.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

linguaholic

Re: BTG Archives

Postby linguaholic » 2012-04-24, 14:21

FuBAR 1 was the best one ever!

Once upon a time there was a lamp and a bowl. One day the lamp's light was struck by an unforeseen grievance, and exclaimed: "make me so that I can be differentiated from the sun!". There was someone who became completely cold, I immediately turned off the light. This person pointed out to the light "come on, don't darken the light! Not during the past and not during the future ." "Choose your torch!", I responded, "I reject the stars, and refuse to make the choice".

If this isn't world literature I don't know what is. :mrgreen:
native: Deutsch / advanced: English, Nederlands / intermediate: Esperanto / forgotten: Français / fighting my way through: עברית מקראית / dreaming of: Čeština, עברית / admiring from a safe distance: فارسی

hashi

Postby hashi » 2012-04-24, 14:32

Haha, yeah. I love going over these so much :P I have decided my second favourite excerpt:

BTG 5:
Whenever you don’t know how to behave, pull your buckle off and go away. Calm yourself down and praise the first person in front of you to the skies.

Ser

Postby Ser » 2012-04-25, 2:36

hashi wrote:Some of the games are incomplete:
- BTG 15
- Moonspeak BTG
- FuBAR BTG 4
- FuBAR BTG 5
- ConBTG 2
Fuckkkkkkk. Gotta get them done.

BTG 15: screw Old Spanish, the text is untranslatable to it. Loqu, get ready for the French. :lol: I've no idea if the game can still be finished though, would Dminor translate it in another lang for Aleco? Anesthesia hasn't been here since the beginning of April either.

FUBAR 5: I could take Satsuma's Spanish and transform it into French or Latin for loqu (yes, I don't think I really care about the bias...). Bizet hasn't visited us since November last year however, and I'm not sure if he's gonna be back after sending him PMs. So loqu, once you receive it, you can, you know, read it and understand it, but you'll have to wait to see if it'll be Bizet or Szarooki who will receive your trslation. (EDIT: DONE. Did it into Latin in the end. I didn't look at the English translation Satsuma provided for his Spanish text, in fact, now that I look at it I would've changed a couple things. Also, it's been so many months since the last time I saw the original text...)

ConBTG 2: WTF!? Anyway, this is what happens when I open Vortex's PM:
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l445/Neqitan/CTG_Vortex.png

In other words, the document he had uploaded to UniLang isn't there anymore, maybe he erased it or it expired (?). I'd suggest we continue it, or if not possible just chuck it as it is.

hashi

Postby hashi » 2012-04-25, 2:56

Hmm, perhaps the attachment did expire or something.

What I'm hoping for mostly is just to have the texts that were translated, even if they never made it back to English, so I can still put them into the site. That'd be cool though if we could get a resolution for the FuBAR 5, as after the BTG 16 I was thinking of starting the FuBAR 6 depeding how well BTG 16 goes.

Speaking of the site, I need some feedback as to whether it's readable/easy enough to navigate or what :)

Ser

Postby Ser » 2012-04-25, 4:14

There are some encoding issues for the names of some users, Æren in the BTG 14 becomes "Ã[U+0083]Â[U+0086]ren"... Also, Wolfox in FUBAR 3 should appear as translating into Cantonese, in both Traditional and Simplified. (In the FUBAR 5, there's also the situation where Satsuma translated from French into Spanish in the forwards chain, but from Spanish into Korean in the backwards chain).

Other than that, the site looks good and it's easy to navigate. :y:

Meanwhile, I just sent loqu the BTG 15 message in French.

hashi

Postby hashi » 2012-04-25, 4:25

Serafín wrote:There are some encoding issues for the names of some users, Æren in the BTG 14 becomes "Ã[U+0083]Â[U+0086]ren"...

Yeah, there was an issue with the script that was inserting them into the database, which I have since fixed. I just haven't been bothered to go through and fix them up ;)

Also, Wolfox in FUBAR 3 should appear as translating into Cantonese, in both Traditional and Simplified.

Ah, I made no distinction between the Chinese's, I will fix this now :)
Edit: I've fixed it for the Forwards text, but in the Backwards text, was your Chinese translation into Cantonese or Mandarin? It is currently in the database as the latter.

Ser

Postby Ser » 2012-04-25, 4:53

It's correct, it was into Mandarin.

hashi

Postby hashi » 2012-04-25, 4:57

Serafín wrote:It's correct, it was into Mandarin.

Wonderful!

loqu
Location: Sevilla [seˈβiʝa] (Andalucía), born in Cádiz [ˈkaði]

Postby loqu » 2012-04-25, 10:20

Serafín, me acabas de destruir. Sólo te digo eso.

I'll try to have both texts translated before tomorrow evening.
Dir la veritat sempre és revolucionari.

Dminor
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dminor » 2012-04-25, 13:19

Serafín wrote:Loqu, get ready for the French. :lol: I've no idea if the game can still be finished though, would Dminor translate it in another lang for Aleco?

This is a possibility, although I'm not really familiar with the three languages Aleco listed (Norwegian Nynorsk, Icelandic, Japanese). I could try Norwegian (B), although that would really screw it up. Aleco's interest in Frisian seems to have been flaring up lately, maybe that's an option? Or simply Dutch? It's up to Aleco.
काव्यशास्त्रविनोदेन कालो गच्छति धीमताम् । व्यसनेन च मूर्खाणां निद्रया कलहेन वा

kibo

Postby kibo » 2012-04-25, 13:38

But wait, according to this Aleco already got the Dutch text and finished the translation. Or am I missing something?
Goals:
[flag=]es[/flag] ➜ C1 (DELE)
[flag=]de[/flag] ➜ B2 (Goethe-Zertifikat) / C1
[flag=]sv[/flag] ➜ B1/B2

Dminor
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dminor » 2012-04-25, 13:56

Oh, I don't remember that, but it seems authentic... :P

Ser

Postby Ser » 2012-04-25, 15:50

loqu wrote:Serafín, me acabas de destruir. Sólo te digo eso.
Vamos, que el formato se puede convertir a algo más legible. Lo único extraño que hice fue separar las oraciones de manera vaga, pero aun así...
kibo wrote:But wait, according to this Aleco already got the Dutch text and finished the translation. Or am I missing something?
Actually, I've just been informed that Ayiaearel never updated the chains in the opening post of the BTG 15 thread. It's either culúrien or míkl who currently has the text in Team 1, and Bryon is the other one in Team 2.

Also, hashi, do you happen to have the CTB stuff somewhere?

kibo

Postby kibo » 2012-04-25, 16:49

Serafín wrote:
kibo wrote:But wait, according to this Aleco already got the Dutch text and finished the translation. Or am I missing something?
Actually, I've just been informed that Ayiaearel never updated the chains in the opening post of the BTG 15 thread. It's either culúrien or míkl who currently has the text in Team 1, and Bryon is the other one in Team 2.

culúrien said she finished the text and míkl said he received it but his last visit was in December. :P

Someone needs to take over the organization of that game. (if nobody wants to, I can)

edit: and it's reasonable to check first if the people who are left still want to participate before continuing the game (if they don't who can blame them) and then rearrange the chains if necessary.

edit2: I made the two 'open' BTGs into sticky threads.
Goals:
[flag=]sv[/flag] ➜ B1/B2

Bryon

Postby Bryon » 2012-04-25, 17:50

Serafín wrote:Actually, I've just been informed that Ayiaearel never updated the chains in the opening post of the BTG 15 thread. It's either culúrien or míkl who currently has the text in Team 1, and Bryon is the other one in Team 2.
Nope, it's not me. :P As far as I know, both Muisje and I finished our translations.
Main: [flag]fi[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]ru[/flag] [flag]es-mx[/flag]
Ole ystävällinen ja korjaa virheeni!

Ser

Postby Ser » 2012-04-25, 18:28

kibo wrote:Someone needs to take over the organization of that game. (if nobody wants to, I can)

edit: and it's reasonable to check first if the people who are left still want to participate before continuing the game (if they don't who can blame them) and then rearrange the chains if necessary.
I agree with both things. Though as for the first one, unless Ayiaearel helps us here, we'll just compare the beginning text (having asked Balaur/Vogelvrij for it) and the results (unless we could coordinate everybody to give their translations, and I'm not sure if it's possible).

The same goes for the FUBAR 4. Actually, it's been going for so long that I think we should just call it quits, quite a number of them don't come anymore (csjc, Fionúir...). Basically, tell loqu/Linguaholic to do the backwards text to English, and Eginhard/Vortarulo, the forwards text to English. But, we still can't get the complete details unless ILuvEire gives them to us, since he has all the texts...

Also, I just realized, why haven't the texts been uploaded for the Oral Translation Game? The audio may be lost (I already tried and couldn't find my own recording in n00b Italian, at least this is really lost), but the written texts are still all there. (Unless we could get everybody to record themselves again. XD Well, not really, since our pronunciation may have improved since then. At least now I know that <c> is pronounced [tʃ] before <i, e>. Yes, my Italian was THAT n00b. Sorry Dminor.)
Bryon wrote:
Serafín wrote:Actually, I've just been informed that Ayiaearel never updated the chains in the opening post of the BTG 15 thread. It's either culúrien or míkl who currently has the text in Team 1, and Bryon is the other one in Team 2.
Nope, it's not me. :P As far as I know, both Muisje and I finished our translations.
Well... That changes the panorama again. So, is it Michael who has it? Or Anesthesia? Either way, it was so close to finish! :shock:

kibo

Postby kibo » 2012-04-25, 18:47

Serafín wrote:Though as for the first one, unless Ayiaearel helps us here, we'll just compare the beginning text (having asked Balaur/Vogelvrij for it) and the results (unless we could coordinate everybody to give their translations, and I'm not sure if it's possible).

I think it might be possible, we just the both received and sent translation from every other person in the chain. I already have two translations from the second chain.

Ok, I'll take over BTG 15 and I'll start sending out the PMs to the participants. 8-)
Goals:
[flag=]sv[/flag] ➜ B1/B2

Dminor
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dminor » 2012-04-25, 18:56

Serafín wrote:Also, I just realized, why haven't the texts been uploaded for the Oral Translation Game? The audio may be lost (I already tried and couldn't find my own recording in n00b Italian, at least this is really lost), but the written texts are still all there. (Unless we could get everybody to record themselves again. XD Well, not really, since our pronunciation may have improved since then. At least now I know that <c> is pronounced [tʃ] before <i, e>. Yes, my Italian was THAT n00b. Sorry Dminor.)

I think I still have both of our recordings somewhere. :P

Ser

Postby Ser » 2012-04-25, 18:59

That'd be great! See if it's somewhere in your files.

loqu
Location: Sevilla [seˈβiʝa] (Andalucía), born in Cádiz [ˈkaði]

Postby loqu » 2012-04-25, 19:09

It's so comforting to know those games are being retaken!!

Thanks to everyone!

Serafín, no es que me acabaras de destruir por como has escrito el latín, sino por los dos textos que venían de ninguna parte y que no me esperaba, jajaja.
Dir la veritat sempre és revolucionari.

Return to “Games”