A new broken translation game?

This forum is for games of various sorts. Moderators may lock games that are too similar to already existing ones.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Passe-Cale

Postby Passe-Cale » 2006-08-11, 20:52

celebrian23 wrote:
Canard wrote:What about those of us with fairly run-of-the-mill language pairs like French<->English? I doubt anyone here speaks Sjal besides me, and my Swedish is lame :lol:

what would it matter then if it's common languages?

Yeah we wouldn't want to have all pairs excentric. :wink: We'd need to take into consideratino that many will have only a few pairs, and classic ones at that, and will still want to participate. And anyway in this game it's fun to go back to the more popular languages a few times, like have regular english/french/spanish... transitions, so that most will be able to follow the text through many steps.
Native : [flag]fr-QC[/flag] . . Fluent : [flag]en-CA[/flag] . .. . .. . .Currently interested in : [flag]ru[/flag] [flag]sv[/flag] [flag]he[/flag]
Conversant : [flag]es[/flag] [flag]zh.Hans[/flag] [flag]eo[/flag] . . . . . Also studied : [flag]grc[/flag] [flag]la[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag] [flag]it[/flag] [flag]de[/flag] [flag]ja[/flag]

Nero

Postby Nero » 2006-08-11, 20:53

celebrian23 wrote:
Passe-Cale wrote:Hmm, maybe a 5 person section at a time would work nice. Every time you begin a new section, you ask who would be available in the next week and match them. We could set objectives, like have certain languages and look actively for the people who could do them...

At first I was thinking more like, I start the chain in french, I ask for someone to translate from french into russian, then english, then... Something like that, ask for someone when the time comes. Or maybe have, like the last times, a list of people and their language pairs, and so I would have a list of people able to translate FROM french into another language, and choose the first one of them who is available, then, if he/she translated from french into klingon (:lol:), we would try very hard to find someone who can do FROM klingon into anything else.

But I'm just brainstorming here. 8)

the problem with languages not well known is my greatest concern with doing it that way. like if i translated from spanish to welsh lol :P

Agreed. In any game we play, Vortarulo/Adina would have to come next to me, because we're the only speakers of Klingon :oops:

culúrien

Postby culúrien » 2006-08-11, 21:01

it's why i'm not sure a 5 people at a time thing would work. Evil Weasal is the only welsh other speaker who comes here often enough to participate. So I feel your pain. I guess the moderator will have to weigh both sides of the argument
استیسی

darkina

Postby darkina » 2006-08-11, 21:21

Hmm I still think the old way is less confusing, but maybe because I didn't witness the last chain's stops...
век живи, век учись, а дураком помрешь

Pleasures remain, so does the pain

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2006-08-31, 18:31

Come on :D
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

darkina

Postby darkina » 2006-08-31, 21:59

Aleco wrote:Come on :D

LOL.. I thought about it a few days ago but now it's too late for me to volunteer to moderate it, I have only two weeks of free time left.

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2006-09-01, 16:01

hmmm... :(
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

Nero

Postby Nero » 2006-09-23, 0:58

:whistle:

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2006-09-23, 2:47

I can participate with Mamo and the order could go ->

English -> Hawai'ian -> Māori -> Hawai'ian -> English

?
Linguicide IS genocide. :)

He ingoa ōpaki a Riki; he ingoa ōkawa a Ariki.

Riki is an informal name; Ariki is a formal name.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2006-09-23, 11:04

I don't understand it anymore :(
Native: Dutch
Learns: Latin and French
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

Dminor
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dminor » 2006-09-23, 11:41

The problem is that the game doesn't start because nobody seems willing to organise it - obviously because everyone wants to participate. :D

Het probleem is dat het spel niet begint omdat niemand bereid lijkt te zijn om het te organiseren - natuurlijk omdat iedereen mee wil doen. :D
काव्यशास्त्रविनोदेन कालो गच्छति धीमताम् । व्यसनेन च मूर्खाणां निद्रया कलहेन वा

Nero

Postby Nero » 2006-09-23, 12:12

riki wrote:I can participate with Mamo and the order could go ->

?

Ita, sed Riki.... possumus vertere fabulam semel. Potes facere lingua brittanorum in Maorem, et postea dare fabulam Mamoi, sed ille potest transferre Maroem -> Hawaiiem et deinde nemo alius Hawaiiem in linguam aliam potest facere.

Yo veo una problema, Riki... Podemos traducir solamente una vez. Puedes traducir el inglés a Maori, y entonces dar el texto a Mamo, pero el puede traducir Maori -> Hawaiian y nadie puede traducir su Hawaiian luego

Je vois un problème, Riki... Nous pouvons traduire une fois seulement. Tu peux traduire l'anglais à Maori, et puis donner le text à Mamo, mais il peut seulment traduire Maori -> Hawai'i y personne ne peuvent traduire l'Hawai'i après.

mi lukim wanpela wari, riki... mipela tanim tok wanpela taim, tasol. Yu ken tanim tok Inglis long tok Maori na dispela taim yu givim stori long Mamo, tasol Mamo ken tanim Tok Maori -> Tok Hawai'ian na no-man i ken tanim hawaiian bihain.

culúrien

Postby culúrien » 2006-09-23, 12:26

Nero wrote:
riki wrote:I can participate with Mamo and the order could go ->

?

Ita, sed Riki.... possumus vertere fabulam semel. Potes facere lingua brittanorum in Maorem, et postea dare fabulam Mamoi, sed ille potest transferre Maroem -> Hawaiiem et deinde nemo alius Hawaiiem in linguam aliam potest facere.

Yo veo una problema, Riki... Podemos traducir solamente una vez. Puedes traducir el inglés a Maori, y entonces dar el texto a Mamo, pero el puede traducir Maori -> Hawaiian y nadie puede traducir su Hawaiian luego

Je vois un problème, Riki... Nous pouvons traduire une fois seulement. Tu peux traduire l'anglais à Maori, et puis donner le text à Mamo, mais il peut seulment traduire Maori -> Hawai'i y personne ne peuvent traduire l'Hawai'i après.

mi lukim wanpela wari, riki... mipela tanim tok wanpela taim, tasol. Yu ken tanim tok Inglis long tok Maori na dispela taim yu givim stori long Mamo, tasol Mamo ken tanim Tok Maori -> Tok Hawai'ian na no-man i ken tanim hawaiian bihain.

Please change your avatar, it's scaring the crap out of me :cry:
استیسی

Nero

Postby Nero » 2006-09-23, 15:02

C'est seulement David Bowie :lol:

culúrien

Postby culúrien » 2006-09-23, 15:20

Nero wrote:C'est seulement David Bowie :lol:

otherwise known as the man who in labrynith who was wearing really really really tight pants with a very obvious cup :cry:

He terrifies me now :cry:
استیسی

darkina

Postby darkina » 2006-09-23, 20:47

Dminor wrote:The problem is that the game doesn't start because nobody seems willing to organise it - obviously because everyone wants to participate. :D

Het probleem is dat het spel niet begint omdat niemand bereid lijkt te zijn om het te organiseren - natuurlijk omdat iedereen mee wil doen. :D

Told you, I'd moderate it but my free time is over...if you can cope with a mod that comes online once a day or maybe less, then I'll see how my schedule really is and see if I can do it... give me a couple of weeks to experiment my new life...

celebrian23 wrote:otherwise known as the man who in labrynith who was wearing really really really tight pants with a very obvious cup :cry:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

FiliusLunae

Postby FiliusLunae » 2006-09-23, 23:50

Dminor wrote:The problem is that the game doesn't start because nobody seems willing to organise it - obviously because everyone wants to participate. :D

So true... :P

~FILIUS

culúrien

Postby culúrien » 2006-09-23, 23:53

FiliusLunae wrote:

~FILIUS

FiliusLunae, I order you to!
استیسی

FiliusLunae

Postby FiliusLunae » 2006-09-24, 0:08

celebrian23 wrote:
FiliusLunae wrote:

~FILIUS

FiliusLunae, I order you to!

Tschellebe... don't order me to do things... on a Saturday afternoon... in September... ... all other days are fine. :P

~FILIUS

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2006-09-24, 3:31

Well its the only way that Mamo and I can participate with the languages that we know
Linguicide IS genocide. :)

He ingoa ōpaki a Riki; he ingoa ōkawa a Ariki.

Riki is an informal name; Ariki is a formal name.

Return to “Games”