FUBAR Game 2021

This forum is for games of various sorts. Moderators may lock games that are too similar to already existing ones.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: FUBAR Game 2021

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-24, 12:46

I think maybe they just thought it would be a neat idea, but I don't think it really made that much of a difference back then. :lol:

Normally, it doesn't make that much of a difference now for the opposite reason (it used to not make a difference because the translations were terrible, but now it usually doesn't because the translations are actually very good), except that this time, we've really managed to almost all pick languages we're not familiar with, so the text has already gotten pretty FUBAR!

EDIT: In the first BTG, the text was already pretty FUBAR within about three translations. It was translated from English to French, then from French to Japanese, and then from Japanese to German. The person translating from Japanese to German was a native speaker of German but clearly didn't know Japanese that well!

How did he even end up translating from Japanese??
...He specifically offered that language combination even though he doesn't even have Japanese in his language profile and only really claims to speak German, Polish, and English. :shock:
And on top of it all, the host didn't particularly try to make sure the person translating either from French to Japanese or from Japanese to German was okay with the language combination they had been assigned, and the person translating from Japanese to German failed to check his PMs and had to get his translation done in a hurry!

azhong

Postby azhong » 2021-10-24, 12:57

vijayjohn wrote:EDIT: Oh, wow, in the first FUBAR game, you had to use languages that you were no better than intermediate level in! So back then, azhong couldn't have played without picking languages he was completely unfamiliar with. :P

That's never a problem to find a language one feels unfamiliar with. A more usual problem for me is, instead, to find a language I am confident in.

Self introduction. I once touched German, Japanese, and Indonesian in my life, all almost being forgotten. And thanks to your encouragement, Vijay, I digged out my previous thread in the German subforum, where i received a lot of helpful websites. I might have another fighting with the language again.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-24, 12:59

azhong wrote:another fighting with

You mean another fighting chance with?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2021-10-24, 13:02

Nah, another fight with.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2021-10-24, 13:18

It's really fun to see you guys teasing one another. This is not what I've experienced when I studied alone receiving help in the subforums. I'm really glad that, under your long-term help, I can move here with improved language ability chatting and playing games together with you.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-24, 13:29

I still don't know what you meant by another fighting with, though! :lol:

azhong

Postby azhong » 2021-10-24, 16:05

I think fight is the noun I need: a struggle to conquer German language. A fighting refers to a violence or a conflict, while a fight refers to a struggle.
I feel a fighting chance means roughly the same as a fight?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-24, 16:14

I would just say struggle.

Apparently, the Chinese equivalent of fighting chance is 一线生机.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2021-10-24, 16:53

Another: struggle with, go at, attempt at, etc.
Personally I'd probably say either "another attempt at" or "another go at the language". The fight or struggle would either be implied, or fleshed out elsewhere. But that's me.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-10-24, 17:08

I'm not sure fighting works at all here. At least, to me, another fighting sounds ungrammatical and either makes me think, as Vijay did, another fighting chance, or, as księżycowy said, another fight.

azhong wrote:I feel a fighting chance means roughly the same as a fight?

For me, they're not. The implication is more positive vs negative. Well, a fight just means a fight and doesn't imply negative per se because the focus is not on what you believe about the outcome. A fighting chance implies positive because it says you believe you have a chance to win the fight or to conquer. For example, "I now have a fighting chance with this test thanks to your help!"
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-24, 17:15

dEhiN wrote:I'm not sure fighting works at all here. At least, to me, another fighting sounds ungrammatical and either makes me think, as Vijay did, another fighting chance, or, as księżycowy said, another fight.

That's why he said he thinks he meant fight.
azhong wrote:I feel a fighting chance means roughly the same as a fight?

For me, they're not. The implication is more positive vs negative. Well, a fight just means a fight and doesn't imply negative per se because the focus is not on what you believe about the outcome. A fighting chance implies positive because it says you believe you have a chance to win the fight or to conquer. For example, "I now have a fighting chance with this test thanks to your help!"

I guess the way I see it is that a fight means a struggle, I suppose, and a fighting chance means the opportunity to win in such a struggle.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-27, 20:08

I have unfortunate news for the FUBAR game. Aaakknu is in hospital for surgery.

She has suggested going on without her although she has started on her translation. I trust that we can wait until she feels well enough to send it, even if that means we have to wait until sometime next year. However, I also told her I would try to see whether someone else is willing to do the translation instead and let her know if I do find someone.

Sorry for the inconvenience, everyone. Let's all wish her good health and hope for her speedy recovery!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2021-10-27, 20:12

1) in the hospital
Muricah, damn it!

2) I hope she's ok! Well wishes and prayers!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-27, 20:20

I'm sorry, Indianisms sneak into my English every now and then ("You are in hospital and have a choice of various kinds of fruit to eat for dessert. Choose a fruit").

EDIT: Apparently, "choose a fruit" is completely acceptable for księżycowy as well!

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-10-28, 4:55

I hope she gets better! Do you know what the surgery is for? Anything major?

I'd be up for doing the translation, but I would rather wait for aaakknu first and only translate IF she couldn't or chose to bow out.

And yeah, księżycowy, I already did a translation, but I'd be doing completely different languages with several links in between. Plus, you can't because you did the Turkmen translation. And yeah, I would translate just whatever the hell your wrote in Turkmen, or at least, what I understand of it. Plus, Galician was a language I started on earlier this year.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-28, 5:05

dEhiN wrote:I hope she gets better! Do you know what the surgery is for? Anything major?

I have no idea.
I'd be up for doing the translation, but I would rather wait for aaakknu first and only translate IF she couldn't or chose to bow out.

And yeah, księżycowy, I already did a translation, but I'd be doing completely different languages with several links in between. Plus, you can't because you did the Turkmen translation. And yeah, I would translate just whatever the hell your wrote in Turkmen, or at least, what I understand of it. Plus, Galician was a language I started on earlier this year.

Thanks, but tbh, you also have already seen the text, so it wouldn't really be fair. At this point, it would hardly be different from me just translating it myself. I'd rather try to either find someone else to do it or just wait for aaakknu.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-10-28, 5:19

But that's what I was trying to say: even though I saw the original text, I would stick to the Turkmen translation since the fun for me would be in translating from Turkmen and into Galician. I wouldn't care if every word of the Turkmen was basically a 180 of the original.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-28, 5:24

Yes, I know, but the fact that you've already seen it would influence your translation anyway, compared to someone who hasn't seen any other form of the text at all.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-10-28, 5:50

vijayjohn wrote:Yes, I know, but the fact that you've already seen it would influence your translation anyway, compared to someone who hasn't seen any other form of the text at all.

Yeah, but then poor Car has to wait potentially until next year! And, the only way I can see it influencing is if a Turkmen word used had 2 or more disparate meanings and one happened to be a word found in the original text while the other didn't, I would choose the first one. But even then, that would be a negative influence only if księżycowy meant the second meaning.

Plus if the text is currently as FUBAR'd as you say, then seeing the original text won't really influence me either way.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2021-10-28, 9:32

dEhiN wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Yes, I know, but the fact that you've already seen it would influence your translation anyway, compared to someone who hasn't seen any other form of the text at all.

Yeah, but then poor Car has to wait potentially until next year!

I'm fine with waiting.

aaakknu, get well soon!
Please correct my mistakes!

Return to “Games”