FUBAR Game 2021

This forum is for games of various sorts. Moderators may lock games that are too similar to already existing ones.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: FUBAR Game 2021

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-19, 19:53

kevin wrote:
EDIT: Oh, and I'm afraid księżycowy is already hellbent on forcing all of us to wait. :P

Next time we'll play without him. :P

UH-oh...

EDIT: Well, aaakknu has suggested she may take a while as well.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2021-10-19, 22:11

Sorry to be employed and have a life, guise. :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-19, 22:31

IINM some of the quickest translators in this game are also employed and have a life.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-10-20, 2:43

What are you saying exactly?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-20, 3:20

księżycowy or me? :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-20, 22:43

The FUBAR game is approaching its conclusion! księżycowy sent his translation off to aaakknu earlier than he originally promised.

Incidentally, I forgot to congratulate our new participants, Meera and Ciarán! Good job translating the text, guys! :D (And also making it more FUBAR ;) )

azhong

Postby azhong » 2021-10-21, 0:13

vijayjohn wrote:The chain (bold indicates which link the chain is currently at):

vijayjohn (Malayalam > English) > kevin (Welsh) > dEhiN (Indonesian) > linguoboy (Korean) > Meera (Japanese) > Rí.na.dTeangacha (Irish) > księżycowy (Turkmen) > aaakknu (Galician) > Car (English) (> vijayjohn (Malayalam))

I'd like to give the game a try for the first time.
Azhong: English <-> Chinese
So, I might be able to take Car's English translation and then transfer it into a Chinese translation.

But there is a small time problem for me: I will stay in a buddism temple for a meditation practice workshop for twenty days, from Nov. 5 to 25, and during the period I will not access internet at all. So, the text has to come to me soon in these two days, later in December, or I just wait till a new game starts in the next year. Thank you in advance for letting me join in with my imperfect English language.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-21, 0:53

Sorry, we can't really do that since the text I sent to kevin was in English, and the final translation is supposed to be in English as well. Maybe if people are interested, we can try again another time. :)

azhong

Postby azhong » 2021-10-21, 2:24

Sure, and count me in in the next year please.
( But, Vijay, just for a discussion, I see no reason why it's impossible technically. See this:

... Car (English) > Azhong (Chinese) > someone (English) (> vijayjohn (Malayalam)

Anyway, it's true my schedule is tight in Nov and might cause the game a long pause.)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-21, 2:40

It's technically possible, but the point of the game is to compare the translation at the beginning to the translation at the end. If the translation at the beginning is in English and the one at the end is in Chinese, people won't know how to compare them. :)

EDIT: Oh, never mind, I see what you're saying. That would require someone else to participate in the game as well and translate from Chinese to English at the end. :hmm:
It would also use English twice, which makes the game a little less interesting, although it certainly has been done before!

azhong

Postby azhong » 2021-10-21, 2:59

I see now. You are expecting guys to translate the passage from aaakknu in Galician into another language; the English translation out of Car will be the final one.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-21, 3:03

aaakknu will translate from Turkmen to Galician, and then Car will do the last translation from Galician to English. :)

azhong

Postby azhong » 2021-10-21, 3:26

I see. I had my post in the thread today because I saw the earlier information below, and I suppose you are still expecting new participators. ^_^

Re: Random language thread 6
Post2021-10-07, 21:18

Are you interested in participating in FUBAR? Is anyone else? I know linguoboy is.

I've been doing a fairly good job of reading in Malayalam and Mandarin Chinese lately, but I haven't made much progress on a book I started reading in English!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-21, 13:13

Yes, I posted that on the 7th, but many people were very impatient to get the game started, so I had already started the game. Now that the game is almost over, it would be difficult or maybe even impossible to add anyone.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2021-10-21, 13:57

I see. And I didn't find this thread started on Oct. I thought it started on January...

An idea: May I have a copy of your English translation? I'll translate it into Chinese, as an independent branch, an out-FABUR activity. The extra branch can just stop here for my personal language practice; or it can also get developed if anyone then is interested in challenging their Chinese and translating it further into another language. There will be no pressure to develop the extra branch into a translation circle but can just let it go free. By doing so, your previous arrangement won't be bothered, and I can also join.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-21, 14:50

I PMed you a copy of my English translation. :)

azhong

Postby azhong » 2021-10-22, 3:31

vijayjohn wrote:

Yasna wrote:

Vijay:

Fyi, I have privately invited some Unlangers possibly interested in taking my Chinese translation and translating it forward. And Yasna has agreed. But I don't know what language Yasna will select.

To respect you as the host of the game, we players in the side branch will also follow the rules you set. i.e. sending you a carbon copy, and send it to the next person, if any.

So, the out-FABUR branch would be, so far,

Vijay ( Malayalam > English) > Azhong (Chinese) > Yasna (?)

For those who might have interest in joining the side branch: you might need to choose a target language on your own or decide one by discussing with the persons next to you. And, it is appreciated if you can help find a next person to take your performance and extend the game.

I think the end time of the side branch will also be decided by our host Vijay.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-22, 4:34

I'm sorry, I can't allow another team of translators for this FUBAR game. The game has almost ended, and people have already expressed eagerness to see the results. I'm not going to make them wait before another team of translators is done.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2021-10-22, 6:02

As I've confirmed with Vijay, the out-FABUR will be stopped anytime by Vijay when the main branch comes to an end. The side branch does not aim to have a complete translation circle at all from the beginning, but just to have some fun. So, the translators in the main branch won't be suspended at all.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2021-10-22, 12:28

(A writing practice exercise to tell the story why I posted in the thread. What I'm trying to share is not less important than the language ability, I think.)

I saw in some other thread yesterday that Vijay had an earlier post looking for people to join this game, FABUR 2021. I did note his post was on Oct. 7, and I thought objectively it was not long ago. I decided to join, although I do also know I am really not as a linguist as most of you are. My motivation was simple: Vijay needs more people to join, and I'd like to provide what I can.

But there was something I didn't notice. The FABUR 2021 didn't really start from January; it didn't start until Oct 2. That is, the invitation has expired already, but I didn't know. More than that, I supposed Vijay will judge the language ability of the new comer and inserted them into a proper position in the translation queue, thus I nicely gave a suggestion where I can properly stand so as to save his energy.

And then, after these misunderstandings were finally clear, a third one came. I tried to invite some people to join the side branch because I thought there are still more than two months before 2021 ends, which again didn't go with Vijay's existing plan. The game will not last to the end of the year, neither; in fact it's almost ended.

One misunderstanding, another misunderstanding, and still another one. That's what has happened between Vijay and me on this event. I planned to provide my help by joining in, but instead, my misunderstanding has continuously caused him inconvenience again and again.

What's fortunate, however, is that I met Vijay once face to face in the real world when he came to Taiwan to have a job, and we had a pleasant evening hanging out together. Thus there might be less wrong imagination between us coming from the communication thru only texts when it's able neither to hear the tone nor to see the expression of each other.

So, this is the story I want to share; a story not about languages but about communication. ^_^

Return to “Games”