FUBAR Game 2021

This forum is for games of various sorts. Moderators may lock games that are too similar to already existing ones.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: FUBAR Game 2021

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-12, 16:43

Woohooo you can do iiiiiiiit! :woohoo:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-18, 21:00

Meera has now finished her translation and sent it off to Ciarán, our other brand-new member of the FUBAR translation team! Good luck, Ciarán! :D

I think everyone misunderstood the second sentence except for Meera (and of course kevin), who FWICT did a great job translating linguoboy's second sentence!

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-10-18, 21:48

vijayjohn wrote:I think everyone misunderstood the second sentence except for Meera (and of course kevin), who FWICT did a great job translating linguoboy's second sentence!

I translated exactly what I was given, even when it didn't make a whole lotta sense. (In one case I even kept in a particular word which dEhiN confirmed afterwards was not the word he meant to use. I'd suspected this was the case, but IMO this game is not about trying to reconstruct what the original text might have been, it's about fidelity to the text you actually have in front of you.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-18, 22:23

I think you might end up being surprised at how simple the original second sentence was. :lol:

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2021-10-18, 22:29

linguoboy wrote:IMO this game is not about trying to reconstruct what the original text might have been, it's about fidelity to the text you actually have in front of you

I agree that this is what people should do, isn't it like the whole point of the game? Last time, I was a bit disappointed when my Latin text wasn't really continued, but the translation was basically just a guess at what the story could originally have been.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-18, 23:15

I do try to guess what the text was (saying) tbh. :P

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-10-19, 0:42

vijayjohn wrote:I think everyone misunderstood the second sentence except for Meera (and of course kevin), who FWICT did a great job translating linguoboy's second sentence!

That makes it sound like linguoboy fucked up the second sentence and Meera, more or less, managed to fix it! Methinks this host needs to not insert himself so much during the process. :whistle: :D

linguoboy wrote:I translated exactly what I was given, even when it didn't make a whole lotta sense. (In one case I even kept in a particular word which dEhiN confirmed afterwards was not the word he meant to use. I'd suspected this was the case, but IMO this game is not about trying to reconstruct what the original text might have been, it's about fidelity to the text you actually have in front of you.)

Haha, I totally forget which word, and I'm too lazy to check our PMs right now. This has now made me wonder: if say someone who was A1 in French were to translate into French, and I followed, what would I do? I think, as long as the mistranslation could make sense, I would stick to it. But, if the misused word made no sense and it was quite clear which word the person before me meant to use, I would probably assume they wanted that other word, and go with that in my translation.

kevin wrote:
linguoboy wrote:IMO this game is not about trying to reconstruct what the original text might have been, it's about fidelity to the text you actually have in front of you

I agree that this is what people should do, isn't it like the whole point of the game? Last time, I was a bit disappointed when my Latin text wasn't really continued, but the translation was basically just a guess at what the story could originally have been.

I think you and linguoboy are saying the same thing, no? Basically, you both believe one should translate what they're given, even if part of the text isn't cohesive or coherent with the rest, and one can fathom a guess of what that part should have been based on the rest of the text. I agree too, and that's what I do. I do try to gather as many possible senses of a word as possible and determine which might make the most sense based upon the rest of the text. This could obviously backfire if, near the beginning of translation, I choose certain senses of meaning over others and then try to make the rest of the text fit that which I initially chose.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-19, 1:24

dEhiN wrote:

That makes it sound like linguoboy fucked up the second sentence and Meera, more or less, managed to fix it! Methinks this host needs to not insert himself so much during the process. :whistle: :D

I think I just noticed a mistake in kevin's second sentence, actually. I'm sure we'll find out at the end what exactly went wrong. :) But then I think you misinterpreted that sentence, and I also think linguoboy misread one little word, which changed the meaning of the sentence dramatically. Otherwise I don't see how this word got into the Korean translation. :hmm:
I think you and linguoboy are saying the same thing, no? Basically, you both believe one should translate what they're given, even if part of the text isn't cohesive or coherent with the rest, and one can fathom a guess of what that part should have been based on the rest of the text.

Yes.

I don't think I mentioned this here, but some of the participants have expressed interest in having me also back-translate the last English translation into Malayalam and then gloss it! I've already tried to include, transliterate, and gloss the original text. I think I'll have to actually compare the final translation to the original to do that, though, because I don't think the final product in Malayalam would even stand a chance of being acceptable written Malayalam otherwise.

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2021-10-19, 9:03

vijayjohn wrote:I think I just noticed a mistake in kevin's second sentence, actually.

The typo in the verb ending or another one? I really hope that one wasn't too confusing. I think it doesn't give it a different meaning, but then you get a leftover pronoun...

dEhiN wrote:I think you and linguoboy are saying the same thing, no?

Yes. I believe this is what "I agree" indicates, but if not, maybe I should do English in the next FUBAR game. :P

Obviously, if the meaning is ambiguous or just unclear, I try to interpret it in the way that makes most sense to me in the context as long as it's a possible meaning of my source. But if the source is unambiguous, I'll translate it like that even if the meaning is absurd.

vijayjohn wrote:I think I'll have to actually compare the final translation to the original to do that, though, because I don't think the final product in Malayalam would even stand a chance of being acceptable written Malayalam otherwise.

This is a FUBAR game, it's not a requirement to be acceptable written anything. ;)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-19, 13:17

kevin wrote:The typo in the verb ending or another one? I really hope that one wasn't too confusing. I think it doesn't give it a different meaning, but then you get a leftover pronoun...

That happened in the second sentence of what you sent? :hmm:
No, I just thought you included an unnecessary definite article particle/preposition. I'm no expert on Welsh, though, ofc, so...I could somehow be wrong, but I think I found a Google search result that suggests there's no need for one there. *shrug*
vijayjohn wrote:I think I'll have to actually compare the final translation to the original to do that, though, because I don't think the final product in Malayalam would even stand a chance of being acceptable written Malayalam otherwise.

This is a FUBAR game, it's not a requirement to be acceptable written anything. ;)

I guess that's true...but I'm also concerned about delaying the final posting of the results too long. Plus it would probably make the contrast between the original and the final versions look even more pronounced than they would be if written by a professional writer (even a professional writer translating a FUBAR text! :P ).

Rí.na.dTeangacha

Postby Rí.na.dTeangacha » 2021-10-19, 14:33

vijayjohn wrote: Good luck, Ciarán! :D

Thanks!

linguoboy wrote:I translated exactly what I was given, even when it didn't make a whole lotta sense. (In one case I even kept in a particular word which dEhiN confirmed afterwards was not the word he meant to use. I'd suspected this was the case, but IMO this game is not about trying to reconstruct what the original text might have been, it's about fidelity to the text you actually have in front of you.)

kevin wrote:I agree that this is what people should do, isn't it like the whole point of the game? Last time, I was a bit disappointed when my Latin text wasn't really continued, but the translation was basically just a guess at what the story could originally have been.

Well I've finished my translation, but now you have me doubting myself, I may have "interpreted" it too much rather than sticking strictly to what was there. The thing is, it's really hard to translate Japanese literally into Irish, they're too different a lot of the time, so I kind of have to interpret it. :/ I'll try to screw it up a bit more! :P (this goes against pretty much everything I was taught in college!)
(pt-br)(ja) - Formerly Ciarán12

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-19, 14:34

I'd just send it (EDIT: but ofc it's up to you). I myself try to figure out what it's saying.
Besides, the differences in approaches to this game might make it even more interesting in a way. :twisted:

Rí.na.dTeangacha

Postby Rí.na.dTeangacha » 2021-10-19, 14:50

Sent (with adjustments made to make it more literal). Good luck księżycowy!
(pt-br)(ja) - Formerly Ciarán12

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-19, 15:02

All right, księżycowy, do your stuff! :P

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2021-10-19, 15:58

vijayjohn wrote:That happened in the second sentence of what you sent? :hmm:
No, I just thought you included an unnecessary definite article particle/preposition.

Possessive pronoun? :D

And no, of course, it didn't happen at all! :whistle: Maybe I should stop commenting any more. You know, si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses.. 8-)

I guess that's true...but I'm also concerned about delaying the final posting of the results too long.

I'm not sure how settling for lower translation quality would make it take any longer, but if that's the case, I'll let you just do the proper thing.

Rí.na.dTeangacha wrote:Sent (with adjustments made to make it more literal). Good luck księżycowy!

You might win the category "fastest translator", looks like you beat linguoboy by about half an hour!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2021-10-19, 16:12

Rí.na.dTeangacha wrote:Sent (with adjustments made to make it more literal). Good luck księżycowy!

Fear not, Ciarán. I'll screw it up for both of us. :P :wink:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-19, 16:34

kevin wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:That happened in the second sentence of what you sent? :hmm:
No, I just thought you included an unnecessary definite article particle/preposition.

Possessive pronoun? :D

No... :hmm:
I'm not sure how settling for lower translation quality would make it take any longer, but if that's the case, I'll let you just do the proper thing.

Well, I'm guessing not looking at the original text while translating would probably make it longer!

You might win the category "fastest translator", looks like you beat linguoboy by about half an hour!

Did he really? :o Let's see:
I sent it to you on Oct. 5 at 12:13 PM my time.
You sent your translation the next day at 5:10 PM.
dEhiN sent his on the 11th at 4:18 PM.
linguoboy sent his the next day at 10:47 AM.
Meera sent hers yesterday at 3:46 PM.
Ciarán sent his today at 9:49 AM.

So those are intervals of: 28 hours and 57 minutes; 4 days, 23 hours, and 8 minutes; 18 hours and 29 minutes; 6 days, 4 hours, and 59 minutes; and 18 hours and three minutes, respectively.

So yes, he beat linguoboy by 26 minutes!

EDIT: That being said, Car FWIR translates very fast!

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-10-19, 16:59

vijayjohn wrote:No, I just thought you included an unnecessary definite article particle/preposition. I'm no expert on Welsh, though, ofc, so...I could somehow be wrong, but I think I found a Google search result that suggests there's no need for one there. *shrug*

Neither am I, but now I'm really curious about the passage in question. (FWIW, Welsh--and Irish--frequently employ resumptive personal pronouns where they wouldn't be expected in English.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-19, 17:16

Then maybe he didn't include enough pronouns. :lol:

EDIT: Oh, and I'm afraid księżycowy is already hellbent on forcing all of us to wait. :P

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2021-10-19, 19:50

vijayjohn wrote:Then maybe he didn't include enough pronouns. :lol:

Whatever. It's my dialect. :lol:

EDIT: Oh, and I'm afraid księżycowy is already hellbent on forcing all of us to wait. :P

Next time we'll play without him. :P

Return to “Games”