Welcome to the 19th iteration of UniLang's Broken Translation Game! (The naming of the 17th and 18th games as "2017" and "2018" was a beautiful thing (even if perhaps an unintended coincidence?), but I'm going to continue the old tradition of naming the translation games by their number. Notice that the 16th game was played in 2012, followed by a gap several-years long.)
What the BTG is
The game is an adaptation of the classic telephone or "Chinese whispers" game, where a message is given to a participant to pass to another in a chain, with the purpose of looking at the end result. You list your languages, take place into a chain, and wait for your turn to translate the message to the next person into one of your languages as you're assigned to do.
How the game is played
Person A translates the original English text into Language 1
Person B translates Language 1 into Language 2
Person X translates Language n back into English (and this is the final text)
- Once you receive the text, you will have 5 days to complete the translation into the designated target language.
- You may not use online/automated translators like Google Translate or BabelFish.
- The translation must be completed by yourself.
- Failure to complete the translation within the time-frame without explanation will result in expulsion from the game.
- When you complete a translation, you need to forward the correct language version to the next person in the chain.
- Please also send a carbon-copy (CC) to me when you send it. This is important.
- You must not discuss the text with anyone else in the chain/game until the game has finished.
- Once the game has entirely finished, the results will be posted.
How to join
Simply post a list of the languages you can translate from, and those you can translate into, like this:
FROM: English, Russian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Modern Greek
TO: English, Russian, Hungarian
About the text
The message is one paragraph long. I don't stop anyone from joining with the languages they want, but I'd like to suggest that you be fairly familiar (~B1 at least) with the ones you post. The simultaneous FUBAR game does not have this suggestion at all.
[to be posted later]