Vraagje voor Friessprekenden

Moderators:Dminor, Reinder

Reinder
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Vraagje voor Friessprekenden

Postby Reinder » 2012-04-10, 12:36

Aleco wrote:I also noticed fiinde, which is fiende in Norwegian, but often pronounced /fiːndə/.
Actually the singular form of fiinde is fiind, without a schwa at the end. It's still really impressive. In West Frisian we say "fijân", though, which sounds completely different with the [ɔː] in it.
Image Image Image Image | Image | Image

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2012-04-10, 19:27

It used to be fíandi or fjándi. Maybe I should wander off to Frisian a bit again! I remember giving up because my Frisian friend disappeared :P I have another question, if that's okay. I'm sort of making this thread a general Questions about Frisian thread :P

Do you consciously weed out 'dutchisms' when you speak?
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

Reinder
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Reinder » 2012-04-12, 6:52

Aleco wrote:It used to be fíandi or fjándi. Maybe I should wander off to Frisian a bit again! I remember giving up because my Frisian friend disappeared :P I have another question, if that's okay. I'm sort of making this thread a general Questions about Frisian thread :P
Yeah you should, I'm here for you! Would you learn all three Frisian languages or do you prefer one above the other two?

Aleco wrote:Do you consciously weed out 'dutchisms' when you speak?
Yeah, I tend to, but sometimes it's just inevitable, since a lot of people of my age don't understand the real Frisian words. I'm really sad when I speak Frisian to someone and his or her Frisian sounds like Dutch. Also the verb inversion in some sentences sounds really Dutch.

Soest dat dwaan wolle? (Would-2SG that do want?)
    Soest dat wolle dwaan? (Would-2SG that want do?)
    Zou je dat willen doen? (Would you that want do?)
The second sentence sounds really awful to me, sometimes I can't stand it them inverting those verbs. I feel like I stand and watch the Frisian language dying when I hear such sentences. :P

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2012-04-12, 10:27

It's interesting to compare them, but I'll probably focus on West Frisian, at least in the beginning. I'm not sure how diligently I'm going to study it though, seeing as I'm doing both Estonian and Japanese + part-time job at the moment, and exams are approaching fast :P

Hehe, understandable! Often we have two words that are used equally much, but people don't realize they are synonyms, and overuse the Latin-Greek-English-German loans :P
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

Reinder
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Reinder » 2012-04-12, 15:34

Aleco wrote:It's interesting to compare them, but I'll probably focus on West Frisian, at least in the beginning. I'm not sure how diligently I'm going to study it though, seeing as I'm doing both Estonian and Japanese + part-time job at the moment, and exams are approaching fast :P
Yeah, I get it. I was planning on studying Chinese, too, but I kind of don't have enough time to do this, so actually I can't call it studying anymore. Well, I can at least help you out with West Frisian. I can also help you with some North Frisian, since I've learned that for a while and I bet I'd be able to help with some Saterland Frisian as well, since it doesn't seem really hard to learn.

Aleco wrote:Hehe, understandable! Often we have two words that are used equally much, but people don't realize they are synonyms, and overuse the Latin-Greek-English-German loans :P
Yeah, that's about the same which happens to Frisian with Dutch words.

Return to “Frisian (Frysk/Friisk/Fräisk)”