"I know first aid" in multiple languages - Portug,

This is the place where you can ask for translations into several languages at once. For translations into or from just one specific language, please post in the language's own forum or official topic.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

ekalin

Postby ekalin » 2003-02-06, 11:30

Mark wrote:ie yes and no in Brazilian Portuguese are Sim and Bem, instead of Sim and Não.

In Brazil the terms for Yes and No are exactly the same as in Portugal, "Sim" and "Não" respectively. I'm 500% sure of that.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2003-02-06, 13:30

Mark wrote:ie yes and no in Brazilian Portuguese are Sim and Bem, instead of Sim and Não

Not only is it wrong, as ekalin said, but 'Bem' is actually a word, meaning 'well'.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

stifven

Postby stifven » 2003-02-06, 15:03

Stifven wrote:
For Mandarin, the pinyin serves as a guide for its pronunciation however it is not meant to be read as how it is written.

Pinyin can indeed be quite far away from the real pronunciation. And how is Postitlord supposed to know the numbers of the tones in Mandarin?

:lol: very nice point Saaropean!!!
Indeed, it would sound very awkward if you read the pinyins alone... haha
Very well, you can check up these sites postitlord:
http://www.vermontkungfu.com/chinese.htm
http://www.childbook.com/free/chinese/pinyin.html

take note on these letters...
b = pronounce it as unaspirated P, like the Spanish or Italian "p"
p = like the normal American aspirated "p"
d = not aspirated T, like the Spanish or Italian "t"
t = aspirated like how the Americans pronounce "t"

Stifven wrote:
Just read them as how they are written

That's dangerous, you're talking to an English speaker...

For Tagalog, just read them as if you are reading Spanish...but do pronounce the "H" like 'heart'. :D

Visit this site:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy ... onunce.htm
四海之内皆兄弟也。。。

Mark

Postby Mark » 2003-02-07, 1:46

Oops... hmm... I wonder where I thought I knew that from... oh well.

That seems etched in my mind, it is almost spooky... I know I am wrong, but I have heard it somewhere... it wasn't a song... maybe my Brazilian friend told me... uh... 00; sorry.

postitlord

Postby postitlord » 2003-02-07, 3:27

Frames
The site looks better at geocities.com/postitlord/f.html - f for frames. I've changed the URL in my original post accordingly.

I have lots of questions! But I can only ask a few at a time. There are infinitly many little decisions I have to make regarding my websites design every day, whilst I daydream during university lectures. I'll likely be asking / answering / asking again / in multiple-day-intervals.

/
These slashes, at the beginning and end of every sentence, is that part of the SAMPA protocol?

Use RED to highlight pronounciation difficulties
I have an idea folks. Can you go back and edit your post, highlight words in red that you are very uncomfortable pronouncing. That way, any casual browsers will easily find them and possibly find better interpretations...
Example: "kell ay vott name?" I know nom is hard English.erize :( :( :sad:

French
non
"no" < Can this pronounciation be improved?
/nO/

Où est-ce que vous avez du mal ?
I know this is the proper sentence for asking where it hurts. But one of my goals is as few words as necessary. Is there any plausible way to shorten it? I know the keywords are Où mal?, but that sounds too awful to be used...
(Where does it hurt?)

Appellez neuf-un-un
"uh-pelay nurf-ur-ur" < perhaps uhn-uhn is better?

Dutch
How do you say "Dutch" in Dutch? Is it Hollands?

Mandarin
How do you say "English" in Mandarin? Is it ying wen?
Last edited by postitlord on 2003-02-09, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.

Saaropean

Postby Saaropean » 2003-02-07, 8:02

postitlord wrote:/
These slashes, at the beginning and end of every sentence, is that part of the SAMPA protocol?

Phoneticians have some conventions to write down sounds. They usually use brackets [] to indicate the exact pronunciation of something and slashes // to indicate an approximate pronunciation, specific enough to avoid misunderstandings, but flexible enough to allow different variants at the same time.

postitlord wrote:French
non
"no" < Can this pronounciation be improved?
/nO/

The only other thing I could think of is "naw".
English is just too far away from being phonetic, and its vowels are so different from French... :cry:

postitlord wrote:Où est-ce que vous avez du mal ?
I know this is the proper sentence for asking where it hurts. But one of my goals is as few words as necessary. Is there any plausible way to shorten it? I know the keywords are Où mal?, but that sounds too awful to be used...
(Where does it hurt?)

Maybe you could use the following colloquial question:
C'est où que ça fait du mal ?
"say ooky sah fay dzoo mull?"
/sE u: k@ sa fE dzy mal/
In European and Acadian French, "du" is pronounced /dy/, not /dzy/.

As an alternative, you could ask "Do you have pain?":
Vous avez du mal ?
"voo zuh-vay dzoo mull?"
/vu: zave: dzy mal/

postitlord wrote:Appellez neuf-un-un
"uh-pelay nurf-ur-ur" < perhaps uhn-uhn is better?

No, that would sound like /an/ instead of the correct French /E~/ or Québécois /9~/, which sounds almost like the English "ur" in "burn".

postitlord wrote:Dutch

No! Holland is just a part of the Netherlands, so never use that when talking to Dutch...
The correct word is:
Nederlands
"nayder lunts"
/"ne:Id@rlants/

postitlord wrote:Mandarin
How do you say "English" in Mandarin? Is it ying wen?

Yes, though the spoken language would rather be "ying yu".

英文 (yīng wén)
"yingwen"
/jiN/ (high tone) /w@n/ (rising tone)

英语 (yīng yŭ)
"yingyoo"
/jiN/ (high tone) /jy:/ (first down then rising)

postitlord

Postby postitlord » 2003-02-09, 8:12

:roll: www.freedict.com/onldict/dut.html Stupid dictionary, couldn't translate the languages' own name into its own language :!: - That's where I got Hollands from. :roll: I'm glad I asked.

French un
I see (rather, say & hear) what you mean, that ur (English) is quite similar to un (French). But I think the (unofficial?) word, "uh", like "uh I don't know" would almost fit. So I appended an n to the end, producing "uhn". You know, it's like a groan or a moan. Perhaps I've seen this sound spelt this way more than you???

non
"naw" is definately an improvement, when compared against a straight copy of english's "no". But I'll leave that cell blank for now. ARG! That one is hard!!! ARg. There's a thousand french words that rhyme with it, but I can't make my brain think of a single english one. I hope I didn't force the local Portuguese translator's head to explode.

Portuguese
Speaking of Portuguese, I need a crash course summary. How many variants must I potentially worry about? So far this thread has shown me Brazil and Portugal.. Are they widely divergent, or just a little different? Are there any more I should worry about? After doing a chinese page, I have to ask, there's only 1 written version of Portuguese, right?

Luis, sorry to keep bugging you. But I do not take your Portuguse-English Warning lightly. Could you mark the parts in red that you had trouble with, so I know which are the hard parts. Those nasal sounds you mentioned for example, whatever those are. That's assuming not everything turns red :oops:

NulNuk

Postby NulNuk » 2003-02-09, 8:40

postitlord wrote:
Dutch

No! Holland is just a part of the Netherlands, so never use that when talking to Dutch...
The correct word is:
Nederlands
"nayder lunts"
/"ne:Id@rlants/

not totaly correct ,though the correct Dutch name for Dutch is "Nederlands"
you will see that many times Dutch ppl call Dutch "Hollands " instead of
"Nederlands " ,I gess it has to do with some agent costum ,because the
Dutch lenguage was first talked in Holland ,and only later in the rest
of the Nederlands ,or maybe its just has to do with the way every body
call the Nederlands in Spanish (who used to rulle over the Nederlands
before it was a free kingdom), or maybe even a modern internasionalisation
of the name ,what ever it may be , tha fact is that if you say Hollands
instead of Nederlands ,you will be understood ,and you wont be completly
wrong ,because it is used by the Dutch ppl at self .
Every thing I write, wrote, or will write, its in my own opinion, for I have no other.
Release me from the duty of being polite and remind you, "I made use of my own brain".

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2003-02-09, 13:57

postitlord wrote:Speaking of Portuguese, I need a crash course summary. How many variants must I potentially worry about?

There are many variants, but I'd say only Brazilian and Continental (European) are relevant on this matter.

postitlord wrote:Are they widely divergent, or just a little different?

Like American English and British English or Canadian French and French from France. Biggest difference is pronunciation really, but both variants should be perfectly inteligible in practice.

postitlord wrote:After doing a chinese page, I have to ask, there's only 1 written version of Portuguese, right?

:?: What do you mean? :D - Yes, we use the Latin alphabet only, like most European languages...

postitlord wrote:Luis, sorry to keep bugging you. But I do not take your Portuguse-English Warning lightly. Could you mark the parts in red that you had trouble with, so I know which are the hard parts. Those nasal sounds you mentioned for example, whatever those are

Don't worry :-)
I think it's enough. As you said, you really don't know what a nasal sound is, so why bother in explaining ;-) - Most people will understand it even without nasal sounds, don't worry ;-) - Even with the most perfect system of writing Portuguese using English spelling, you wouldn't sound like a native, so don't worry :lol:

postitlord

Postby postitlord » 2003-02-16, 5:45

:P THANKYOU :P
Since this thread seems to have an absent pulse, I will take this lax opportunity to thank everyone. Merci. Gracious. My site is comming along nicely. I expect to be done in a few months :wink:. However my list of English words grows. I hope it doesn't get TOO much bigger. :)

Patient Name (Mr./Mrs./Miss/Ms)
Medications
Allergies
Date of Birth (day/month/year)
Telephone Number
Mailing Address
City
Province prohvance
Postal Code
Signature

Chinese
我可以帮你吗?Is this Simplified Chinese?
I need your guys input here. Should I also add a Traditional Chinese column at py.html?

stifven wrote:Here's the Mandarin translation........ I need Lyle to help me with this.. :D
For Mandarin, the pinyin serves as a guide for its pronunciation however it is not meant to be read as how it is written.

Hi stifven! I'm quadruple checking everything, so please don't feel I'm picking on you. But a Mandarin friend disagrees with a bit your pinyin numbering. What do you think of the corrections below [in bold]?

Can I help you? = 我可以帮你吗?
pinyin: Wo(2) ke(3) yi(3) bang(1) ni(3) ma(1)?
pinyin: Wo(3) ke(3) yi(3) bang(1) ni(3) ma(1)?
Infact, he showed me in a Chinese/English dictionary that Wo(2) doesn't even exist (CIBA2000). But you did use Wo(3) in "I know first aid".

No. 不是。*
pinyin: Bu(3) shi(4)
pinyin: Bu(2) shi(4)

Do you understand? = 你明白吗?
pinyin: Ni(2) ming(2) bai(3) ma(1)?
pinyin: Ni(3) ming(2) bai(3) ma(1)?

What is your name? = 你叫什名?
Kai says (嘛) is inappropriate, and (me) ´/_\ would be more appropriate. I cannot copy-and-paste the symbol, so I've constructed an approximation. Thankfully it's a simple symbol. Just make the unbold \ shorter.
pinyin: Ni(2) jiao(4) shen(2) ma ming(3)?
pinyin: Ni(3) jiao(4) shen(2) ma ming(3)?

I'm called __. = 我叫 __.
pinyin: Wo(2) jiao(4) __.
pinyin: Wo(3) jiao(4) __.

I speak very little Mandarin. = 我只会说一点点的普通话。
pinyin: Wo(2) zhi(3) hui(4) shuo(1) yi dian(2) dian(2) de pu(3) tong(1) hua(4).
pinyin: Wo(3) zhi(3) hui(4) shuo(1) yi dian(3) dian(3) de pu(3) tong(1) hua(4).

Where does it hurt? = 哪里有痛?
pinyin: Na(3) li(2) you(3) tong(4)
pinyin: Ni(3) Na(3) li(2) teng(2)
Kai also made a comment on this, but my notes are all garbled so I have to ask again... He wonders, is this Taiwanese?

Leviwosc

Postby Leviwosc » 2003-02-17, 13:44

NulNuk wrote:
not totaly correct ,though the correct Dutch name for Dutch is "Nederlands"
you will see that many times Dutch ppl call Dutch "Hollands " instead of
"Nederlands " ,I gess it has to do with some agent costum ,because the
Dutch lenguage was first talked in Holland ,and only later in the rest
of the Nederlands ,or maybe its just has to do with the way every body
call the Nederlands in Spanish (who used to rulle over the Nederlands
before it was a free kingdom), or maybe even a modern internasionalisation
of the name ,what ever it may be , tha fact is that if you say Hollands
instead of Nederlands ,you will be understood ,and you wont be completly
wrong ,because it is used by the Dutch ppl at self .

I'm sorry NulNuk, I don't want to offend you, or playing rude. But what you've written here, is BULLSHIT!!!

There is no language called "Hollands", it doesn't exist. Hollands is just a beggar name for Dutch, used by some infantile Dutch, who don't know there own history!

Nederlands, is the right name in Dutch for the language of the Netherlands. Doesn't matter what some people say in the Netherlands or what Spanish say. It's wrong, I've explained here that Holland and Hollands are wrong names. Teaching wrong names to other people is bad. Teach them the right words!

I live in Nederland (the Netherlands) and I speak Nederlands (Dutch).

The Dutch language doesn't exist in the area "Holland" which actually is siutated in the West of the Netherlands. Dutch has exist in the south of the Netherlands, not in the area Holland, later when the West became more powerfull than the South, while Protestantism was introduced in the West they used a lot of equivalents of German words. While in the South people still spoke the older Dutch with katholic roots. Some later the Spanish inquisition came to the Netherlands to kill the protestants above the river, and a lot of Katholic Southern farmers has helped the Spanish in that time. So also the Spanish didn't give us our beggar name "Holland" that where the Romans who did!

The Netherlands where 2000 years ago full of wood, people in that time call there country "Holtland" because they called "hout" (wood) "holt". The Romans took over that name but it was to difficult for them and they changed it into "Holland".

So for the last time......

Nederland = country
Nederlands = language

With kind regards,
Ron de Leeuw
The Netherlands
Image Image | Image Image Image Image | Image Image Image

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2003-02-17, 15:19

Patient Name (Mr./Mrs./Miss/Ms)
Nome do Paciente (Sr./Sra)
Nom doo pasee-ent (Snior/Sniora)
/nom@ du p6sie~t@ (s@Jor/s@Jor6)/

Medications
Medicações
Mdeekuhsoees
/m@dik6so~jS/

Allergies
Alergias
Ulergeeas
/6l@rZi6S/

Date of Birth (day/month/year)
Data de Nascimento (dia/mês/ano)
Data d' nashimento (deea/mes/anoo)
/dat6 d@ n6Ssime~tu (di6/meS/6nu)/

Telephone Number
Número de Telefone
Noomeroo d' tlfohn
/num@ru d@ t@l@fOn@/

Mailing Address
Endereço Postal
Endereso poostal
/e~d@resu puStal/

City
/sidad@/

Province
Província
Proovinsia
/pruvi~sj6/

Postal Code
Código Postal
Codigoo Poostal
/cOdigu puStal/

Signature
Assinatura
Asinatooruh
/6sin6tur6/

NulNuk

Postby NulNuk » 2003-02-17, 16:03

I'm sorry NulNuk, I don't want to offend you, or playing rude. But what you've written here, is BULLSHIT!!!

There is no language called "Hollands", it doesn't exist. Hollands is just a beggar name for Dutch, used by some infantile Dutch, who don't know there own history

he , I didnt say to call the lenguage "Hollands" is right ,I sayed ppl in
the Nederlands allso call the lenguage this way some times ,thats all,
I did heard Dutch ppl call it this way ,so maybe in some Dutch plases
is okee to say that (slang maybe) I dont know ,any way ,all the rest
that I sayed ,I sayed there that I was gessing ,thats all ,no need to
call it bullshit ,if my guessing was wrong okee ,just say that ,I wont
be offended ,I never even say that I know ,as I sayed ,I say that I was
guessing :0P

The Dutch language doesn't exist in the area "Holland" which actually is siutated in the West of the Netherlands. Dutch has exist in the south of the Netherlands, not in the area Holland

I must say here ,that this part dont look very right to me ,because the
ppl in the south of the Netherlands are Flems ,not Dutch ,the Flems
speac Dutch ,but the Dutch are Anglo-Saxons ,and they came from the
east and settled firsth in the areas of Holland ,Utrecht and all the rest of
the Center and North of the Nederlands (not including all the plases that
used to be part of the Frysian kingdom) ,so maybe the most modern
Dutch came from there ,but the Flanders defenetly were not the first
to talk Dutch ,or any other Anglo-Saxon lenguage ,defenetly not before
the Anglo-Saxons at self :0P .
Every thing I write, wrote, or will write, its in my own opinion, for I have no other.
Release me from the duty of being polite and remind you, "I made use of my own brain".

stifven

Postby stifven » 2003-02-20, 16:29

hey there postitlord!!

我可以帮你吗? Yes, it is Simplified Chinese...

yup! You're correct with the Wo's and the Ni's etc.... I wrote them as how I would read them (or how I think they would be written in the dictionary)... :D haha.. But the corrections are right!
Note: one does not read Chinese words as how they are supposed to be read based on a dictionary. For example, you don't read two consecutive second-tone word as 2 consecutive second-tone word... Lyle!! I really need your help with this!

Might be Taiwanese. The Philippine Chinese education when I was in elementary was based on Taiwanese.. thus I'm more at ease using the "bopomofo" instead of "pinyin".

么 = yup, this is the right character... I can't figure out the right pinyin at that time... :lol:

哪里有痛? is read as Na(3) li(2) you(3) tong(4).
On the other hand,
Ni(3) Na(3) li(2) teng(2) is written as 你哪里疼?
But both of them mean the same.... Regional difference, perhaps? Lyle??

Thanks for correcting me. :wink:
四海之内皆兄弟也。。。

Return to “Translations”