Coronavirus (2)

This is the place where you can ask for translations into several languages at once. For translations into or from just one specific language, please post in the language's own forum or official topic.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Coronavirus (2)

Postby Multiturquoise » 2020-05-01, 8:57

(tr) Koronavirüs alacağınız tedbirlerden daha güçlü değildir. (original)
(az) Koronavirus görəcəyiniz tədbirlərdən daha güclü deyildir.
(tk) Koronawirus görjek çäreleriňizden has güýçli däldir.

(en) Coronavirus is not stronger than the measures you will take. (*)
(de) Coronavirus ist nicht stärker als die Maßnahmen, die Sie ergreifen werden.

(ga) Níl coróinvíreas níos láidre ná na céimeanna a ghlacfaidh sibh. (*)

(el) Ο κορονοϊός δεν είναι ισχυρότερος από τα μέτρα που θα λάβετε.

Questions:
1. EN-GB: Can we use 'no' instead of 'not'? (like 'no stronger than')

2. GA-IE: Does the word 'coróinvíreas' need an article (an coróinvíreas)?

h34

Re: Coronavirus (2)

Postby h34 » 2020-05-02, 6:28

In German, Coronavirus tends to be used with the definite article and werden could be dropped (but of course it depends on the context).

(de) Das Coronavirus ist nicht stärker als die Maßnahmen, die Sie ergreifen (werden).

(ga) Níl coróinvíreas níos láidre ná na céimeanna a ghlacfaidh sibh. (*)

Questions:

2. GA-IE: Does the word 'coróinvíreas' need an article (an coróinvíreas)?

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2020-05-04, 16:41

Slightly changing Irish, but I'm still uncertain about its accuracy.

(de) Das Coronavirus ist nicht stärker als die Maßnahmen, die Sie ergreifen (werden).

(ga) Níl an coróinvíreas níos láidre ná na céimeanna a ghlacfaidh sibh. (*)

Questions:

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-05-04, 17:30

I have seen this translated to English as both "Coronavirus is not stronger than the precautions you will take" and "Coronavirus is not stronger than the precautionary measures you will take" (in addition to the version you posted). Both "precautions" and "precautionary measures" sound better to me than "measures". I have added that version to English and added Spanish, French, and Estonian, including both versions ("measures" and "precautions") for all three.
Multiturquoise wrote:Questions:
Yes.

(en) Coronavirus is no/not stronger than the measures/precautions you will take.

(es) El coronavirus no es más fuerte que las medidas/precauciones que usted tomará.
(fr) Le coronavirus n'est pas plus fort que les mesures/précautions que vous prendrez.

(et) Koroonaviirus ei ole tugevam kui need meetmed/ettevaatusabinõud, mida te võtate.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2020-05-04, 17:44

What is this sentence supposed to mean? That a person's susceptibility to the coronavirus is dependent on the precautions they take? Pretty banal if that's the extent of it.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-05-04, 18:15

Yasna wrote:What is this sentence supposed to mean? That a person's susceptibility to the coronavirus is dependent on the precautions they take?

Yes, that's what it means - the precautions they and those around them take. It is used in Turkish as a slogan to remind people to take precautions against catching or spreading COVID-19.
And your question highlights why I think "precautions" makes more sense; "measures" isn't grammatically incorrect and technically it's an accurate translation, but it is so vague that it becomes hard to understand in English. By using the word "measures" it sounds as though it could mean the virus is not stronger than the measures you take to prevent it, or the virus is not stronger than the measures a hospital takes to help someone recover, or something else entirely. It isn't clear and sounds awkward. Using something like "precautions", "precautionary measures" or "preventative measures" makes it clear that the advertising is aimed at reminding people to be careful about preventing its spread - I assume they have in mind things like using facemasks, practicing social distancing, wash hands, etc.
I'm not sure whether the slogan has that ambiguity in Turkish too (i.e., that "measures" can mean preventative measures but also the measures that might be taken to help someone recover) or not. Maybe they deliberately wanted a word that would cover all types of measures against the coronavirus including ones that aren't preventative (like treatment). I assume it sounds more natural in Turkish than it does in English though, or otherwise they wouldn't be using it as the slogan.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-05-04, 19:56

Multiturquoise wrote:Slightly changing Irish, but I'm still uncertain about its accuracy.

I find it has the same confusing vagueness as the English, with an added touch of bureaucratese. Céim literally means "step" and céimeanna a ghlacadh is obviously a calque of English "take steps". I think I'd prefer réitithe a dhéanfaidh sibh dó. Réitithe is related to the verb réitigh which in turn derives from réidh "smooth" and is used to translate everything from "solve [a problem]" to "get ready". So réitithe a dhéanamh has the implication of making preparations in advance--of literally "clearing the way"--which I think fits better here. Generally you déan réitithe do something, so I'm tacking on "for it".
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

h34

Postby h34 » 2020-05-04, 21:10

+ de (alternatives)

The third version is an attempt to make the sentence flow better but it might differ too much from the original sentence (Vorsicht walten lassen = to exercise caution; adapting one's behaviour to changing situations, using common sense rather than just blindly following rules).

(en) Coronavirus is no/not stronger than the measures/precautions you will take.
(de) Das Coronavirus ist nicht stärker als die Maßnahmen, die Sie ergreifen (werden). / Das Coronavirus ist nicht stärker als die Vorsichtsmaßnahmen, die Sie ergreifen. / Das Coronavirus ist nicht stärker als die Vorsicht, die Sie walten lassen.

(es) El coronavirus no es más fuerte que las medidas/precauciones que usted tomará.
(fr) Le coronavirus n'est pas plus fort que les mesures/précautions que vous prendrez.

(et) Koroonaviirus ei ole tugevam kui need meetmed/ettevaatusabinõud, mida te võtate.

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2020-05-04, 21:35

(ug) تاجىسىمان ۋىرۇس قوللايدىغان تەدبىرلىرىڭىزدىن كۈچلۈكرەك ئەمەس. :?:

(de) Das Coronavirus ist nicht stärker als die Maßnahmen, die Sie ergreifen (werden). / Das Coronavirus ist nicht stärker als die Vorsichtsmaßnahmen, die Sie ergreifen. / Das Coronavirus ist nicht stärker als die Vorsicht, die Sie walten lassen.
(nl) Het coronavirus is niet sterker dan de maatregelen, die u neemt. :?:
(sco) Coronavirus is no stranger nor the meisures ye will tak. :?:

(ga) Níl an coróinvíreas níos láidre ná na réitithe a dhéanfaidh sibh dó.
(gd) Chan eil an coròna-bhìoras nas làidire na na ceumannan a ghabhaidh sibh. :?:

Return to “Translations”