Page 1 of 1

Translation from Frankenstein.

Posted: 2019-10-29, 3:49
by Musicman1990
I know that, in Geneva where this book is set, almost everyone speaks French.
But could someone please translate this quote into Romansh, which is a more unique language?

"Nothing is so painful to the human mind as a great and sudden change"

Thank you in advance.

Re: Translation from Frankenstein.

Posted: 2019-10-29, 19:48
by linguoboy
Musicman1990 wrote:I know that, in Geneva where this book is set, almost everyone speaks French.
But could someone please translate this quote into Romansh, which is a more unique language?

"Nothing is so painful to the human mind as a great and sudden change"

Nagut na fa tant mal a l'intelletg uman sco ina midada gronda ed andetga.

(I used Rumantsch Grischun, which is anachronistic as well as anatopistic.)

Re: Translation from Frankenstein.

Posted: 2019-10-31, 0:21
by Osias
linguoboy wrote:
(I used Rumantsch Grischun, which is anachronistic as well as anatopistic.)

Why? To better fit the time the book was written or because is the only variant you know?

Re: Translation from Frankenstein.

Posted: 2019-10-31, 16:06
by linguoboy
Osias wrote:
linguoboy wrote:(I used Rumantsch Grischun, which is anachronistic as well as anatopistic.)

Why? To better fit the time the book was written or because is the only variant you know?

It's the easiet to find lexicographical resources for. I could have used a traditional variant, but the choice would have been arbitrary because none of them are spoken anywhere near Geneva.

(There is a traditional Franco-Provençal variant spoken in the canton of Geneva--Chablaisien--but I don't have easy access to resources for that.)

Re: Translation from Frankenstein.

Posted: 2019-12-10, 19:41
by Multiturquoise
(en) Nothing is so painful to the human mind as a great and sudden change.

(rm) Nagut na fa tant mal a l'intelletg uman sco ina midada gronda ed andetga.

(lt) Nieko nėra skausmingesnio žmogaus protui nei didelis lūžis.

(tr) Hiçbir şey insan aklına büyük ve anî bir değişimden daha çok acı verici değildir.

Re: Translation from Frankenstein.

Posted: 2019-12-11, 20:41
by Synalepha
Ladin Fascian

(en) Nothing is so painful to the human mind as a great and sudden change.

(rm) Nagut na fa tant mal a l'intelletg uman sco ina midada gronda ed andetga.
(lld) Nia é più enceneous per la ment umèna che n gran mudament subitous.

(lt) Nieko nėra skausmingesnio žmogaus protui nei didelis lūžis.

(tr) Hiçbir şey insan aklına büyük ve anî bir değişimden daha çok acı verici değildir.