Black Sheep

This is the place where you can ask for translations into several languages at once. For translations into or from just one specific language, please post in the language's own forum or official topic.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

הענט
Black Sheep

Postby הענט » 2017-11-11, 15:44

(en) Black Sheep - The Adventures of Marquess Di Merda

(cs) Černá Ovce - Dobrodružství markýze Di Merda ( I choose not to use genitive here for aesthetic purposes)

IpseDixit

Re: Black Sheep

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-11-11, 15:47

Care to eleborate what this is supposed to be? (The title of something? A joke?)

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-11-11, 15:58

I wrote a short story by the same name a year ago and now I'm planning to revisit the story with more details. It should be like 20 times longer. :) It's supposed to be a mix of Casanova, Marquis De Sade, Rob Roy and Dracula. Kind of.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2017-11-11, 17:21

Adding Spanish, Estonian, German, French, correction (definite article) and addition (second spelling) for English.

(en) Black Sheep - The Adventures of the Marquess Di Merda / The Adventures of the Marquis Di Merda
(de) Schwarzes Schaf - Die Abenteuer des Marquis Di Merda

(es) Oveja negra - Las aventuras del marqués Di Merda
(fr) Mouton noir - Les aventures du marquis Di Merda

(cs) Černá Ovce - Dobrodružství markýze Di Merda ( I choose not to use genitive here for aesthetic purposes)

(et) Must lammas - Markii Di Merda seiklused [=all of his adventures] / seiklusi [=some of his adventures]

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-11-12, 9:32

Thanks linguaphile, but is the second definite article really mandatory? Considering it's a title.

The Adventures of Baron Munchhausen comes to mind.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-12, 10:08

It struck my ears as odd to have the second definite article. I'm used to not having the definite article for the title with the name, especially in a context such as this.

That's not to say it's incorrect, but I personally wouldn't use the definite article there.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2017-11-12, 16:53

Hent wrote:Thanks linguaphile, but is the second definite article really mandatory? Considering it's a title.

The Adventures of Baron Munchhausen comes to mind.

księżycowy wrote:It struck my ears as odd to have the second definite article. I'm used to not having the definite article for the title with the name, especially in a context such as this.

That's not to say it's incorrect, but I personally wouldn't use the definite article there.

So the two of you are right, it doesn't need to be there. It should only be used if the name that follows it is a place name rather than a personal name. (To give a familiar example: we say "the Queen of England," but not "the Queen Elizabeth".)
So I'm not sure why I felt that it should have been included in your book title - maybe my brain read "Marquess Di Merda" as "the Marquess of Merda" :doggy: (well.... that actually was the first thing I thought when I saw it). In any case.... since his name is Di Merda it's correct without the definite articles after all.
I'm changing some of my other translations below too (Spanish, French, German) since I had written them with the definite article as well.
Anyone want to translate it to Italian? :twisted:

(en) Black Sheep - The Adventures of Marquess Di Merda / The Adventures of Marquis Di Merda
(de) Schwarzes Schaf - Die Abenteuer von Marquis Di Merda

(es) Oveja negra - Las aventuras de Marqués Di Merda
(fr) Mouton noir - Les aventures de Marquis Di Merda

(et) Must lammas - Markii Di Merda seiklused / Markii Di Merda seiklusi

h34

Postby h34 » 2017-11-12, 18:13

In German, the definite article should be used as it is followed by a title. So the original version was correct. :)
Likewise: The Adventures of Baron Munchhausen -> Die Abenteuer des Baron Münchhausen

(en) Black Sheep - The Adventures of Marquess Di Merda / The Adventures of Marquis Di Merda

(es) Oveja negra - Las aventuras de Marqués Di Merda
(fr) Mouton noir - Les aventures de Marquis Di Merda

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-11-12, 18:24

Linguaphile wrote:I'm changing some of my other translations below too (Spanish, French)

You shouldn't have since they were correct with the article.

Anyone want to translate it to Italian? :twisted:

Sure

(de) Schwarzes Schaf - Die Abenteuer von Marquis Di Merda

(es) Oveja negra - Las aventuras del Marqués Di Merda
(fr) Mouton noir - Les aventures du Marquis Di Merda
(it) Pecora nera - Le avventure del Marchese Di Merda

h34

Postby h34 » 2017-11-12, 18:33

German von refused to be changed. Trying again...

Bernard

Postby Bernard » 2017-11-13, 10:45

+ Latin

(la)(la-VA) Ovis nigra vel De mirificis casibus Marchionis De Merda

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2017-11-24, 22:00

Greek

(la)(la-VA) Ovis nigra vel De mirificis casibus Marchionis De Merda

(el) Μαύρο Πρόβατο - Οι περιπέτειες του Μαρκησίου Ντι Μέρντα

native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

Return to “Translations”