To truly appreciate the mountain tops one must have been in the valleys

This is the place where you can ask for translations into several languages at once. For translations into or from just one specific language, please post in the language's own forum or official topic.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Leviwosc
To truly appreciate the mountain tops one must have been in the valleys

Postby Leviwosc » 2017-10-04, 11:52

In the Netherlands it's quite common to encounter small decorative tiles on the wall with a saying printed on it. Usually this saying is a bit tacky and cliché. An example: "Gratitude is a flower that blooms in only a few gardens".

However, sometimes I encounter tiles with a saying that I really like a lot and which holds an undeniable truth. Like this Dutch saying:

"Om de bergtoppen te kunnen waarderen dient men in de dalen te hebben vertoefd."

(To truly appreciate the mountain tops one must have been in the valleys)

Of course the message is figurative. You're perfectly capable to be seized by the beauty of a mountain top when you're not in a valley. The message is that you can only truly enjoy highlights when you have experienced at least some lows in life.

I'd love to have this saying translated in more languages. I like it a lot and eventually I want to create an art piece with it. Several Dutch tiles with the same saying translated in different languages on one wall.

Please make your translation a formal translation!

My sincere gratitude in advance for your effort.

Afrikaans: Om die bergtoppe werklik te kan waardeer moet 'n mens in die dale sy gewees
Dutch: Om de bergtoppen werkelijk te kunnen waarderen dient men in de dalen te hebben vertoefd.
English: To truly appreciate the mountain tops one must have been in the valleys.
West-Frisian: Om de berchtoppen werklik te kinne wurdearje moatte hja yn 'e dellingen toevje hawwe.
Image Image | Image Image Image Image | Image Image Image

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Re: To truly appreciate the mountain tops one must have been in the valleys

Postby Dormouse559 » 2017-10-04, 15:35

Adding French

Afrikaans: Om die bergtoppe werklik te kan waardeer moet 'n mens in die dale sy gewees
Dutch: Om de bergtoppen werkelijk te kunnen waarderen dient men in de dalen te hebben vertoefd.
English: To truly appreciate the mountain tops one must have been in the valleys.
West-Frisian: Om de berchtoppen werklik te kinne wurdearje moatte hja yn 'e dellingen toevje hawwe.

French: Pour vraiment apprécier le sommet il faut avoir été dans la vallée.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-10-04, 16:54

For the English version, I would suggest substituting "peaks" for "mountain tops". Yes, it's less specific and more likely to be used metaphorically, but I think the fact that it's explicitly contrasted with "valleys" foregrounds the literal meaning enough that you're still left with a concrete image.

German: Man muss die Täler durchschritten haben, um die Gipfel schätzen zu können.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2017-10-04, 23:54

I like linguoboy's change for English. Adding Spanish and Estonian, small change to German. Also, for French, is there a reason "valley" and "summit" are singular here? I would have said "Pour vraiment apprécier les sommets il faut avoir été dans les vallées."

English: To truly appreciate the peaks one must have been in the valleys.
German: Man muss die Täler durchschritten haben, um die Gipfel wirklich schätzen zu können.

Spanish: Para apreciar verdaderamente los picos hay que haber estado en los valles.

Estonian: Mägede tippude tõesti hindamiseks tuleb enne orgudes olnud.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2017-10-05, 22:56

Linguaphile wrote:Also, for French, is there a reason "valley" and "summit" are singular here? I would have said "Pour vraiment apprécier les sommets il faut avoir été dans les vallées."
It felt more proverb-y, at least compared to the French aphorisms I've come across.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2017-10-05, 23:58

Dormouse559 wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:Also, for French, is there a reason "valley" and "summit" are singular here? I would have said "Pour vraiment apprécier les sommets il faut avoir été dans les vallées."
It felt more proverb-y, at least compared to the French aphorisms I've come across.

Makes sense. :D

plengfruit

Postby plengfruit » 2017-10-06, 12:13

Never heard this proverb before, can't think of an equivalent in Polish, so I'm adding a more-or-less direct translation. Which I guess works too.

German: Man muss die Täler durchschritten haben, um die Gipfel wirklich schätzen zu können.

Spanish: Para apreciar verdaderamente los picos hay que haber estado en los valles.

Polish: By w pełni docenić szczyt należy wpierw znaleźć się w dolinie.

Image Image Image Image Image

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-10-06, 17:07

Personally, I prefer the singular form of "peaks" and "valleys" for the Italian version.

Italian: Per apprezzare veramente la vetta, bisogna essere stati a valle.

Leviwosc

Postby Leviwosc » 2017-10-06, 23:43

linguoboy wrote:For the English version, I would suggest substituting "peaks" for "mountain tops". Yes, it's less specific and more likely to be used metaphorically, but I think the fact that it's explicitly contrasted with "valleys" foregrounds the literal meaning enough that you're still left with a concrete image.

Thank you for your explanation. I get your point and do not mind it at all. It still works.

I want to thank the rest of you already for the translations you've added to this topic! It's really much appreciated.

Bernard

Postby Bernard » 2017-10-10, 13:44

+ Latin

Latin: Non vere aestimabis montium cacumina nisi prius in vallibus moratus eris.

Leviwosc

Postby Leviwosc » 2017-10-26, 23:21

Wow thank you Bernard! I love the Latin translation.

enricmm

Postby enricmm » 2017-11-07, 21:27

+ Catalan

Catalan: Per valorar realment els cims, primer cal haver estat a les valls.
Latin: Non vere aestimabis montium cacumina nisi prius in vallibus moratus eris.

Native: (ca) Native against my will: (es)
Advanced: (de) (us)
Intermediate: (zh)
Beginner: (ga) (ja)
Desiderata: (ar) (br) (chr) (cy) (egy) (el) (eo) (eu) (fo) (fr) (gl) (got) (grc) (he) (hi) (id) (iu) (is) (it) (km) (ko) (la) (lt) (lv) (nah) (no) (non) (oc) (pt) (ru) (sgn) (sq) (sv) (sw) (tr) (zhc)

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-11-08, 13:28

Ladin

Ladin: Per prijèr dassen i spic, se cogn esser stac te la vals.

Homine.Sardu

Postby Homine.Sardu » 2017-11-08, 21:26

Added Sardinian

Sardinian : Pro pretziare de a beru su cùccuru de sos montes, bisonzat de essere istados in sas baddes.

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-01-04, 8:59

+ Ukrainian

Sardinian : Pro pretziare de a beru su cùccuru de sos montes, bisonzat de essere istados in sas baddes.

Ukrainian: Для того, щоб по-справжньому цінувати вершини, потрібно спершу побувати у долині.

Linguaphile wrote:Estonian: Mägede tippude tõesti hindamiseks tuleb enne orgudes olnud.

Why "olnud" and not "olla"? As far as I know, after "tuleb" da-infinitive is used.
I would say:
Mägede tippude tõeliseks hindamiseks tuleb enne orgudes olla.
Although you've been studying Estonian longer than me, so you should know better.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-01-04, 15:35

Irusia wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:Estonian: Mägede tippude tõesti hindamiseks tuleb enne orgudes olnud.

Why "olnud" and not "olla"? As far as I know, after "tuleb" da-infinitive is used.
I would say:
Mägede tippude tõeliseks hindamiseks tuleb enne orgudes olla.
Although you've been studying Estonian longer than me, so you should know better.

Hmm, looking at it now, mine was one of the most awkward-sounding translations I've ever written, I think! :mrgreen: I do like that you used tõeline in place of tõesti. As I re-read it I'm also wondering if varem could be better than enne. As for olla, you may be right too. My translation doesn't sound right to me now. I think the reason I used olnud was because of the grammatical tense of the original sentence: "one must have been". Da-infinitive is indeed used with tuleb when an infinitive is needed, but there is no infinitive in the original sentence and I think I used olnud trying to find a way to say "one must have been". I don't think I did it correctly though. It sounds so awkward. Mägede tippude tõeliseks hindamiseks tuleb enne orgudes olla avoids that by saying "to truly appreciate the mountain tops one must first be in the valleys" but it doesn't seem to change the meaning, and it does sound much better than mine. Aitäh teile!

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2018-01-07, 11:20

+ Turkish, changing Estonian.

West Frisian: Om de berchtoppen werklik te kinne wurdearje moatte hja yn 'e dellingen toevje hawwe.

Ukrainian: Для того, щоб по-справжньому цінувати вершини, потрібно спершу побувати у долині.

Estonian: Mägede tippude tõeliseks hindamiseks tuleb enne orgudes olla.

Turkish: Zirveleri takdir edebilmek için vadilerde bulunmuş olmak gerekir.
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

Dark_Horse

Postby Dark_Horse » 2018-01-13, 13:32

+ Greek

West Frisian: Om de berchtoppen werklik te kinne wurdearje moatte hja yn 'e dellingen toevje hawwe.

Greek: Για να εκτιμήσει κανείς πραγματικά την κορυφή, θα πρέπει πρώτα να έχει βρεθεί στην κοιλάδα.

Turkish: Zirveleri takdir edebilmek için vadilerde bulunmuş olmak gerekir.
Native: (el)
C2: (en-us)
Basic: (fr)
Studying: (grc) (la)
Interested in: (et)

MarkusP

Postby MarkusP » 2018-04-09, 8:25

Swedish

Swedish: För att uppskatta bergstopparna måste man ha varit i dalarna.
Värmlandic: För te öppskatt berjstöppan móst en 'a vôr i dâlan.

Greek: Για να εκτιμήσει κανείς πραγματικά την κορυφή, θα πρέπει πρώτα να έχει βρεθεί στην κοιλάδα.

Turkish: Zirveleri takdir edebilmek için vadilerde bulunmuş olmak gerekir.[/quote]
Native: (sv) Swedish, Värmlandic
Learning: Old Swedish
and Proto-Germanic

Return to “Translations”