Literal meanings of common greetings/salutations

This is the place where you can ask for translations into several languages at once. For translations into or from just one specific language, please post in the language's own forum or official topic.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Linguaphile
Literal meanings of common greetings/salutations

Postby Linguaphile » 2017-08-12, 2:54

I thought it would be interesting to see the more literal meanings of the phrases and questions that are commonly used when greeting people. Any level of formality - they don't have to be exact equivalents to the others listed (so 'hello', 'good morning', etc. are all fair game). As an example I chose different phrases for Estonian and Võru even though they do have greetings that are exact equivalents in terms of meaning - I just picked different ones for variety. It won't be an exact science since it's not always possible to translate phatic expressions truly literally - the point is just to see a variety of ways to greet people and what they mean. Starting with a few... add what you can!

[flag=]en[/flag] Hello. How are you?

[flag=]es[/flag] Buenos días. Good days. ¿Cómo está Usted? How are you?
[flag=]fr[/flag] Bonjour. Good day. Comment allez-vous? How do you go?

[flag=]de[/flag] Hallo. Hello. Wie geht's? How does it go?

[flag=]ru[/flag] Здравствуйте! Be healthy/well. Как дела? How is business/affairs?

[flag=]et[/flag] Tere. Hello (historically from terve 'healthy, complete'). Kuidas läheb? How does it go?
[flag=]vro[/flag] Tereq. Hello (historically from terveq 'healthy, complete'). Kuis käsi käü? How does the hand/arm go?

[flag=]hmn[/flag] Nyob zoo. Live well. Koj puas noj qab nyob zoo? Do you eat and live well?

[flag=]bm[/flag] I ni tile! You and the sun! I ka kεnε? Are you well?

księżycowy

Re: Literal meanings of common greetings/salutations

Postby księżycowy » 2017-08-13, 0:00

Ok, I'll add two.

[flag=]ru[/flag] Здравствуйте! Be healthy/well. Как дела? How is business/affairs?

[flag=]ga[/flag] [Munster] Dia dhuit. God to you. Dia's Muire dhuit. God and Mary to you. Conas tánn tú? How are you? (Historically the verb tá, which tánn is a form of, is said to have meant "to stand")

[flag=]et[/flag] Tere. Hello (historically from terve 'healthy, complete'). Kuidas läheb? How does it go?
[flag=]vro[/flag] Tereq. Hello (historically from terveq 'healthy, complete'). Kuis käsi käü? How does the hand/arm go?

[flag=]ja[/flag]こんにちは this day + topic particle お元気ですか。 Are [you] lively/energetic/healthy?

[flag=]hmn[/flag] Nyob zoo. Live well. Koj puas noj qab nyob zoo? Do you eat and live well?

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-08-13, 0:55

pt-br

[flag=]pt-br[/flag] Bom dia. Good day. Como vai você? How do you go?

[flag=]ga[/flag] [Munster] Dia dhuit. God to you. Dia's Muire dhuit. God and Mary to you. Conas tánn tú? How are you? (Historically the verb tá, which tánn is a form of, is said to have meant "to stand")

[flag=]ja[/flag]こんにちは this day + topic particle お元気ですか。 Are [you] lively/energetic/healthy?

2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-08-13, 12:17

+Czech

[flag=]cs[/flag] Dobrý den. Good day Jak se máte? How are you having yourself?

[flag=]bm[/flag] I ni tile! You and the sun! I ka kεnε? Are you well?[/quote]

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2017-08-13, 12:41

+Finnish. I chose terve for greeting because the others don't really mean anything as far as I know, except 'good day' etc which I don't find very interesting tbh. :mrgreen:

[flag=]fi[/flag] Terve. Literally 'healthy'. Miten menee? How does it go? / How is it going? Mitä kuuluu? What is heard? Mitäs sinä? What you? (maybe from 'what are you doing')

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-08-13, 16:36

[flag=]ja[/flag]こんにちは this day + topic particle (Historically spelled 今日は) お元気ですか。 Are [you] lively/energetic/healthy?

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2017-08-13, 17:28

księżycowy, is there a reason why you deleted Finnish?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-08-13, 17:39

Whoops, sorry about that.

[flag=]fi[/flag] Terve. Literally 'healthy'. Miten menee? How does it go? / How is it going? Mitä kuuluu? What is heard? Mitäs sinä? What you? (maybe from 'what are you doing')

[flag=]ja[/flag]こんにちは this day + topic particle (Historically spelled 今日は) お元気ですか。 Are [you] lively/energetic/healthy?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-08-13, 17:58

Whoops, sorry about that.

While I'm at it, I'll add a few NAILs.

[flag=]lkt[/flag] Háu. Hello/ yes/no (with negatives). Only used (or initiated) by male speakers. Toníkhetu? how are you? what/how is your condition?

[flag=]see[/flag] Nya:wëh sgë:nö'. [I'm] thankful [for my/your] well-being/peace. Sadögweta'? Are you well/in good health?
[flag=]cay[/flag] Sgę:nǫˀPeaceful. (Used as a way to say "hello" and to ask about one's well-being/health, as in the second phrase)) Sgę:nǫˀ gęh? Is everything peaceful?

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2017-08-13, 18:19

+Osaka Japanese, Yucatec Maya, Mandarin

Osaka (ja)[Osaka] 毎度! every time (related to the greeting used by shopkeepers, 'thank you for every time' = 'thank you for your patronage') もうかりまっか? (related to もうかる / もうかりますか) is it profitable?

[flag=]zh[/flag] 你好! you good! 你吃飯了嗎? have you eaten?

[flag=]lkt[/flag] Háu. Hello/ yes/no (with negatives). Only used (or initiated) by male speakers. Toníkhetu? how are you? what/how is your condition?

Seneca (see) Nya:wëh sgë:nö'. [I'm] thankful [for my/your] well-being/peace. Sadögweta'? Are you well/in good health?
[flag=]cay[/flag] Sgę:nǫˀPeaceful. (Used as a way to say "hello" and to ask about one's well-being/health, as in the second phrase)) Sgę:nǫˀ gęh? Is everything peaceful?

[flag=]yua[/flag] Biix a beel? How is your path? Ba'ax ka wa'alik? What do you say?

Levike

Postby Levike » 2017-08-13, 18:27

+ Hungarian

[flag=]hu[/flag] Szia. Hi (Historically from Servus, meaning Servant). Mi újság? (What new?)

Osaka (ja)[Osaka] 毎度! every time (related to the greeting used by shopkeepers, 'thank you for every time' = 'thank you for your patronage') もうかりまっか? (related to もうかる / もうかりますか) is it profitable?

Seneca (see) Nya:wëh sgë:nö'. [I'm] thankful [for my/your] well-being/peace. Sadögweta'? Are you well/in good health?

[flag=]yua[/flag] Biix a beel? How is your path? Ba'ax ka wa'alik? What do you say?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-08-13, 18:58

[flag=]hu[/flag] Szia. Hi (Historically from Servus, meaning Servant). Mi újság? (What new?)

[flag=]ale[/flag] [Aleut] Aang. Yes.
[flag=]esu[/flag] [Yup'ik] Aqaa/Waqaa. What do you want? What are you doing here? (Not used exactly like English 'hello,' but it can be used as a greeting. An example would be having a conversation on the phone.)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-08-13, 19:02

[flag=]ga[/flag] Dia dhuit. God to you. Dia's Muire dhuit. God and Mary to you. Conas tánn tú? [Munster usage] How are you? (Historically the verb tá, which tánn is a form of, is said to have meant "to stand")

[flag=]ja[/flag]こんにちは this day + topic particle (Historically spelled 今日は) おはようございます it's early (used whenever someone shows up early, not just in the morning) お元気ですか。 Are [you] lively/energetic/healthy?

[flag=]bod[/flag] བཀྲ་ཤིས་བདེ་ལེགས Good luck and blessings.

[flag=]cay[/flag] Sgę:nǫˀ Peaceful. (Used as a way to say "hello" and to ask about one's well-being/health, as in the second phrase) Sgę:nǫˀ gęh? Is everything peaceful?

[flag=]esu[/flag] [Yup'ik] Aqaa/Waqaa. What do you want? What are you doing here? (Not used exactly like English 'hello,' but it can be used as a greeting. An example would be having a conversation on the phone.)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-08-13, 19:49

Some of these writing systems do not look good in bold.

[flag=]ga[/flag] Dia dhuit. God to you. Dia's Muire dhuit. God and Mary to you. Conas tánn tú? [Munster usage] How are you? (Historically the verb tá, which tánn is a form of, is said to have meant "to stand")

[flag=]ja[/flag] こんにちは this day + topic particle (Historically spelled 今日は) おはようございます it's early (used whenever someone shows up early, not just in the morning) いらっしゃいませ、いらっしゃい [Please] come in/go in/be in [here]! (Used as a greeting in shops. Derived from the verb いる "to come in/go in/arrive/be in one place") お元気ですか。 Are [you] lively/energetic/healthy?

[flag=]cay[/flag] Sgę:nǫˀ Peaceful. (Used as a way to say "hello" and to ask about one's well-being/health, as in the second phrase) Sgę:nǫˀ gęh? Is everything peaceful?

h34

Postby h34 » 2017-08-15, 6:19

[flag=]mhr[/flag] Поро кечe. Good day. Поро кечет лийже. May your day be good.Кузе илет? How are you living?
[flag=]myv[/flag] Паро чи. Good day. Шумбрачи! Health!
[flag=]ja[/flag] こんにちは this day + topic particle (Historically spelled 今日は) おはようございます it's early (used whenever someone shows up early, not just in the morning) いらっしゃいませ、いらっしゃい [Please] come in/go in/be in [here]! (Used as a greeting in shops. Derived from the verb いる "to come in/go in/arrive/be in one place") お元気ですか。 Are [you] lively/energetic/healthy?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-08-15, 8:02

Since we're talking about salutations in general, I always found at least one of the Japanese goodbyes interesting: じゃ which is basically like leaving the conversation unfinished.

[flag=]mhr[/flag] Поро кечe. Good day. Поро кечет лийже. May your day be good.Кузе илет? How are you living?

[flag=]ja[/flag] こんにちは this day + topic particle (Historically spelled 今日は) おはようございます it's early (used whenever someone shows up early, not just in the morning) いらっしゃいませ、いらっしゃい [Please] come in/go in/be in [here]! (Used as a greeting in shops. Derived from the verb いる "to come in/go in/arrive/be in one place") お元気ですか。 Are [you] lively/energetic/healthy? じゃ。 well (used when leaving)

[flag=]yua[/flag] Biix a beel? How is your path? Ba'ax ka wa'alik? What do you say?[/quote]

Sante_Caserio

Postby Sante_Caserio » 2017-08-15, 8:56

Swedish and Värmlandic

[flag=]sv[/flag] Hallå/Hej. Hello/Hi. Hur är läget? How is the "position"?
[flag=]sv[/flag] Hallå/Hej. Hello/Hi. Höss ä rä mä re? How is it with you? (singular) (Värmlandic)

[flag=]ja[/flag] こんにちは this day + topic particle (Historically spelled 今日は) おはようございます it's early (used whenever someone shows up early, not just in the morning) いらっしゃいませ、いらっしゃい [Please] come in/go in/be in [here]! (Used as a greeting in shops. Derived from the verb いる "to come in/go in/arrive/be in one place") お元気ですか。 Are [you] lively/energetic/healthy? じゃ。 well (used when leaving)

[flag=]yua[/flag] Biix a beel? How is your path? Ba'ax ka wa'alik? What do you say?[/quote][/quote]

md0

Postby md0 » 2017-08-15, 9:08

Greek

[flag=]sv[/flag] Hallå/Hej. Hello/Hi. Hur är läget? How is the "position"?
[flag=]sv[/flag] Hallå/Hej. Hello/Hi. Höss ä rä mä re? How is it with you? (singular) (Värmlandic)

[flag=]el[/flag] Γεια, πώς είσαι; Hello (< Health), how are you?
[flag=]el-cy[/flag] Γεια, νάμπου κάμνεις; Hello (< Health), what are you up to?
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Sante_Caserio

Postby Sante_Caserio » 2017-08-15, 9:20

[flag=]sv[/flag] God dag. Good day. Hallå/Hej. Hello/Hi. Hur är läget? How is the "position"?
[flag=]sv[/flag] Go daa. Good day. Hallå/Hej. Hello/Hi. Höss ä rä mä re? How is it with you? Ä ru hörk? Are you healthy/alert? (Värmlandic)

[flag=]el[/flag] Γεια, πώς είσαι; Hello (< Health), how are you?
[flag=]el-cy[/flag] Γεια, νάμπου κάμνεις; Hello (< Health), what are you up to?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-08-16, 0:10

(en) Hello. How are you?
(de) Hallo. Hello. Wie geht's? How does it go?
(sv) God dag. Good day. Hallå/Hej. Hello/Hi. Hur är läget? How is the "position"?
(sv) Go daa. Good day. Hallå/Hej. Hello/Hi. Höss ä rä mä re? How is it with you? Ä ru hörk? Are you healthy/alert? (Värmlandic)

(es) Buenos días. Good days. ¿Cómo está Usted? How are you?
(fr) Bonjour. Good day. Comment allez-vous? How do you go?
(pt-br) Bom dia. Good day. Como vai você? How do you go?

(ru) Здравствуйте! Be healthy/well. Как дела? How is business/affairs?
(cs) Dobrý den. Good day Jak se máte? How are you having yourself?

(ga) Dia dhuit. God to you. Dia's Muire dhuit. God and Mary to you. Conas tánn tú? [Munster usage] How are you? (Historically the verb tá, which tánn is a form of, is said to have meant "to stand")

(el) Γεια, πώς είσαι; Hello (< Health), how are you?
(el-cy) Γεια, νάμπου κάμνεις; Hello (< Health), what are you up to?

(et) Tere. Hello (historically from terve 'healthy, complete'). Kuidas läheb? How does it go?
(vro) Tereq. Hello (historically from terveq 'healthy, complete'). Kuis käsi käü? How does the hand/arm go?
(fi) Terve. Literally 'healthy'. Miten menee? How does it go? / How is it going? Mitä kuuluu? What is heard? Mitäs sinä? What you? (maybe from 'what are you doing')
(hu) Szia. Hi (Historically from Servus, meaning Servant). Mi újság? (What new?)
(mhr) Поро кечe. Good day. Поро кечет лийже. May your day be good.Кузе илет? How are you living?
(myv) Паро чи. Good day. Шумбрачи! Health!

(ja) こんにちは this day + topic particle (Historically spelled 今日は) おはようございます it's early (used whenever someone shows up early, not just in the morning) いらっしゃいませ、いらっしゃい [Please] come in/go in/be in [here]! (Used as a greeting in shops. Derived from the verb いる "to come in/go in/arrive/be in one place") お元気ですか。 Are [you] lively/energetic/healthy? じゃ。 well (used when leaving)
Osaka (ja-kan)[Osaka] 毎度! every time (related to the greeting used by shopkeepers, 'thank you for every time' = 'thank you for your patronage') もうかりまっか? (related to もうかる / もうかりますか) is it profitable?

(zh) 你好! you good! 你吃飯了嗎? have you eaten?

(bod) བཀྲ་ཤིས་བདེ་ལེགས Good luck and blessings.

(hmn) Nyob zoo. Live well. Koj puas noj qab nyob zoo? Do you eat and live well?

(bm) I ni tile! You and the sun! I ka kεnε? Are you well?

(lkt) Háu. Hello/ yes/no (with negatives). Only used (or initiated) by male speakers. Toníkhetu? how are you? what/how is your condition?

(cay) Sgę:nǫˀ Peaceful. (Used as a way to say "hello" and to ask about one's well-being/health, as in the second phrase) Sgę:nǫˀ gęh? Is everything peaceful?

Aleut (ale) [Aleut] Aang. Yes.
Central Alaskan Yupik (esu) [Yup'ik] Aqaa/Waqaa. What do you want? What are you doing here? (Not used exactly like English 'hello,' but it can be used as a greeting. An example would be having a conversation on the phone.)

(yua) Biix a beel? How is your path? Ba'ax ka wa'alik? What do you say?

Return to “Translations”