To shepherd the goats

This is the place where you can ask for translations into several languages at once. For translations into or from just one specific language, please post in the language's own forum or official topic.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

הענט
To shepherd the goats

Postby הענט » 2017-06-15, 12:07

I'm curious whether you have this phrase one uses when someone speaks informal you to them and they're not happy about it. Or any equivalent in your language (if there is a formal/informal you distinction)

[flag=]cs[/flag] Netykej mi. Já jsem s tebou kozy nepásl. ( Don't use the informal you with me. I didn't shepherd the goats with you)

linguoboy

Re: To shepherd the goats

Postby linguoboy » 2017-06-15, 16:47

I'm not sure if it's a fixed phrase or not, but when my brother's mother-in-law was addressed with by a department store clerk, she replied, "You haven't been in my living room!"
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-06-15, 20:38

We'd say something along the lines of: "We didn't go to school together"
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2017-07-06, 5:14

In Spanish there's also no hemos comido en la misma mesa (we haven't eaten at the same table) or nunca hemos sentado en la misma mesa (we've never sat at the same table). But in my experience it's not common to hear that, in fact it's more common to hear the situation in reverse: no me trates de usted, me haces sentir viejo (don't call me by the formal 'usted' form, you make me feel old) or no me ustedees, que no soy tan viejo (don't use the formal 'usted' form, I'm not that old).

Similarly, in Estonian it's uncommon to hear someone tell you to use the formal form, but the (older) phrase you're looking for is "we haven't looked after the pigs together" (me pole koos seakarjas käinud or ma pole teiega koos seakarjas käinud). You can also say (like in Spanish) Ära teieta mind, ma tunnen ennast vanainimene (don't use the formal 'teie' form with me, I feel like an old person) but mostly it's just left at the first part on its own: ära teieta mind (don't use the formal 'teie' form with me) or ärge sinatage mind (don't use the informal 'sina' form with me).

Bernard

Postby Bernard » 2017-07-06, 7:03

+ German

[flag=]cs[/flag] Netykej mi. Já jsem s tebou kozy nepásl. ( Don't use the informal you with me. I didn't shepherd the goats with you)

[flag=]de[/flag] Duzen Sie mich nicht. Wir haben nicht zusammen die Schulbank gedrückt. (Don't thou me. We didn't go to school together.)

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2017-07-06, 7:11

+ Adding mine from above, in list form (Spanish and Estonian).

[flag=]de[/flag] Duzen Sie mich nicht. Wir haben nicht zusammen die Schulbank gedrückt. (Don't thou me. We didn't go to school together.)

[flag=]es[/flag] No me tutee, no hemos comido en la misma mesa. (Don't use the informal 'tú' form, we haven't eaten at the same table.)

[flag=]et[/flag] Ärge sinatage mind, me pole koos seakarjas käinud. (Don't use the informal 'sina' form, we haven't looked after the pigs together.)
Last edited by Linguaphile on 2017-07-06, 7:37, edited 1 time in total.

plengfruit

Postby plengfruit » 2017-07-06, 7:20

+PL

[flag=]pl[/flag] Nie jesteśmy na ty. Wódki z tobą nie piłem. (We don't address each other with the informal 'you'. I didn't drink vodka with you)

[flag=]es[/flag] No me tutea, no hemos comido en la misma mesa. (Don't use the informal 'tú' form, we haven't eaten at the same table.)

[flag=]et[/flag] Ärge sinatage mind, me pole koos seakarjas käinud. (Don't use the informal 'sina' form, we haven't looked after the pigs together.)
Image Image Image Image Image

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2017-07-06, 7:49

[flag=]pl[/flag] Nie jesteśmy na ty. Wódki z tobą nie piłem. (We don't address each other with the informal 'you'. I didn't drink vodka with you)

[flag=]es[/flag] No me tutee, no hemos comido en la misma mesa. (Don't use the informal 'tú' form, we haven't eaten at the same table.)

[flag=]et[/flag] Ärge sinatage mind, me pole koos seakarjas käinud. (Don't use the informal 'sina' form, we haven't looked after the pigs together.)[/quote]

Return to “Translations”