Brown-nosing idioms

This is the place where you can ask for translations into several languages at once. For translations into or from just one specific language, please post in the language's own forum or official topic.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator
Brown-nosing idioms

Postby eskandar » 2016-11-27, 3:07

This is a thread for colorful idioms related to flattery. I am not interested in single-word translations (eg. English "to flatter"), only idioms (eg. English "to butter someone up"). Please provide a literal translation into English as well. No flags, please!

English: to kiss ass, to brown-nose, to suck up, to butter up, to kiss up, to lick boots

French: lécher le cul [to lick ass], cirer les pompes [to wax shoes], lécher les bottes [to lick boots]
Italian: leccare il culo [to lick ass], leccare i piedi [to lick feet]
Spanish: lamer el culo [to lick ass]

Persian: کاسه لیسی kāse līsī, [licking someone's bowl], سبزی پاک کنی sabzī pāk konī [cleaning someone's herbs], چاپلوسی chāplūsī [unsure of etymology]

Urdu: تلوے چاٹنا talvē cāṭnā [to lick the soles of someone's feet]
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Linguaphile

Re: Brown-nosing idioms

Postby Linguaphile » 2016-12-04, 1:01

English: to kiss ass, to brown-nose, to suck up, to butter up, to kiss up, to lick boots

French: lécher le cul [to lick ass], cirer les pompes [to wax shoes], lécher les bottes [to lick boots]
Spanish: lamer el culo [to lick ass], lamer las botas [to lick boots], dorar la píldora [to gild/gold-coat the pill], hacer la pelota [to make the ball; hard to translate but a person who sucks up to a boss or teacher is said to be "la pelota"], chupar las medias [suck the socks/stockings]

Estonian: taldu lakkuma [to lick the soles of the feet], saapa lakkuma [to lick boots], mett mokale määrima [to spread honey on the lips]

Persian: کاسه لیسی kāse līsī, [licking someone's bowl], سبزی پاک کنی sabzī pāk konī [cleaning someone's herbs], چاپلوسی chāplūsī [unsure of etymology]

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-24, 6:22

Spanish: lamer el culo [to lick ass], lamer las botas [to lick boots], dorar la píldora [to gild/gold-coat the pill], hacer la pelota [to make the ball; hard to translate but a person who sucks up to a boss or teacher is said to be "la pelota"], chupar las medias [suck the socks/stockings]

Estonian: taldu lakkuma [to lick the soles of the feet], saapa lakkuma [to lick boots], mett mokale määrima [to spread honey on the lips]

Hindi: तलवे चाटना talvē cāṭnā [to lick the soles of someone's feet]

Malayalam: മണി അടിക്കുക maṇi aṭikkuka [to ring the bell]

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-12-24, 15:12

Irish: bheith i do mhaidrín lathaí ag duine [to be someone's muddy little dog], bheith ag cuimilt leidhbe do dhuine [to stroke someone's pelt], béal bán a dhéanamh le duine [to make a white mouth with someone]
Welsh: gwerthu lledod i rywun [to sell flatfish to someone], llyfu tin [to lick ass]

"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-24, 15:52

Oops, I forgot to bold Hindi and Malayalam! :o Thanks for bolding Malayalam for me!

Irish: bheith i do mhaidrín lathaí ag duine [to be someone's muddy little dog], bheith ag cuimilt leidhbe do dhuine [to stroke someone's pelt], béal bán a dhéanamh le duine [to make a white mouth with someone]
Welsh: gwerthu lledod i rywun [to sell flatfish to someone], llyfu tin [to lick ass]

rmanoj

Postby rmanoj » 2017-12-25, 8:31

Another Malayalam expression

Malayalam: മണി അടിക്കുക maṇi aṭikkuka [to ring the bell], സോപ്പിടുക sōppiṭuka [to put soap (on x); i.e. to soap x up]

Return to “Translations”