The mystery stone - Urdu calligraphy

This is the place where you can ask for translations into several languages at once. For translations into or from just one specific language, please post in the language's own forum or official topic.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Nathan
The mystery stone - Urdu calligraphy

Postby Nathan » 2016-09-11, 16:06

Dear urdu language community,

I am an amateur of islamic culture and artefacts, especially sacred scriptures. In Kashmir, I bought a very old stone with calligraphy on one side, and what appears to be a lotus flower on the other side.

I am trying to solve the mystery of its use and meaning. I have noticed that the stone must have been used for some kind of ritual, as the lotus flower center and petals are more used than the rest of the stone, as if someone used to break something (nuts?) on it, or make some kind of powder (but there is no trace of it). I am writing to you because to solve the mystery I need your help to understand the calligraphy side. I am quite sure it is urdu, as I have recognized few letters, and Mughals have conquered Kashmir in 1585:

in the first line: sin (?) / ? / ?
in the second line: nūn / alif (?) / ze / re / alif

I have tried to put the calligraphy on paper, but I can't be sure I succeed to respect every gliph. Anyone here could help with the translation?

Many thanks for your precious help. I would be really grateful. Long live the internet.

Nathan

Return to “Translations”