The book is on the table. There is a book on the table.

This is the place where you can ask for translations into several languages at once. For translations into or from just one specific language, please post in the language's own forum or official topic.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

stordragon
Re: The book is on the table. There is a book on the table.

Postby stordragon » 2021-06-21, 16:16

stordragon wrote:But I'm very sorry I cannot go too far into every single bit of your response and have to merely state the facts from my end.[/b]

@Naava and @Linguaphile your posts & questions are highly valued and noted, but may I ask that we discuss this sometime later because our threads are already too long and it is really a bit too tiring for us to clarify every point in detail for now.. (you both might continue with other topics in this thread)

Best
Stor
Last edited by stordragon on 2021-06-21, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.
人生得意须尽欢,莫使金樽空对月。
Hvat krevst fyri at kunnast við aðrar mentanir? Tað er fyrst og fremst teirra mál!(á føroyskum)
Dovddan earenoamážit beroštumi suoma-ugrálaš giellajoavkku dutkamuššii.(davvisámegillii)
Būtina imtis neatidėliotinų priemonių nykstančioms kalboms apsaugoti nuo išnykimo;nes kalbinė įvairovė,mano nuomone,yra ne mažiau svarbi nei biologinė!(lietuviškai)

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-06-21, 16:21

stordragon wrote:btw some background stories here: (please don't quote any sensitive words in my post which I'll need to remove from the thread to prevent potential issues that I'm going to explain hereinafter)

stordragon wrote:Although Damian@italki and SolInvictus@unilang did respond to my thread and offered warm help to my questions (Much appreciated :yep: ), most of the time, my threads are left hanging with no response

Actually, regarding the post that you posted in the Finnish forum here, Naava did answer it when you asked her here the very next day. And your replied to her there as well. There's really no reason that she should have also posted that answer in the Finnish forum, but that's why it remained with zero replies there - she had answered elsewhere.

stordragon wrote:Why am I always facing this embarrasing situation? I once seriously suspected if it had something to do with something beyond the thread content itself

No, I truly believe it is just because most of aren't able to answer your questions about VPNs. Furthermore, when the issue concerns content which the content creators are blocking for copyright reasons, I feel that should be respected and I don't try to find ways around it. In other words, the users in a given country "pay" for the access to that material through their taxes that they pay or through the advertising that they are influenced by in those programs; on the other hand if I circumvent the regional restrictions then I am just getting access to their work for free and they don't intend for me to do that. There might be a way I could pay for that content and get it legally, but instead I just try to find different content that is available to me legally and freely. That's my situation and it is what I meant when I said I had gathered that your situation is a bit different from mine; I think you are regularly using VPNs to access material created by people who meant it to be freely available, not because of restrictions where the content was created but instead because of restrictions in your own location. Trying to access information in that kind of situation is not something I ever have a need to do so I have no experience with it, so I sympathize but don't know how to help. You're also trying to extend that access into programming that is blocked in both of our countries, and again that's not something I have experience with either, for the reasons I've stated. It has nothing to do with you personally or where you are from.

stordragon wrote:I suspect it was the flag that Unilang imposed on me like on every other forum member, the flag beneath my avatar that was the reason why I was discriminated against

No. Of course I can't speak for everyone, but it's certainly not a factor for me, and it's also not something I've seen happening here on this forum. If anything, knowing where you are from helps me understand the reason for your questions (so I can look at them in light of knowing that your situation is different from mine, rather than thinking you are just trying to avoid paying for content, which might have been my assumption otherwise). In other words, if anything it made me more sympathetic towards your questions, but it still didn't change the fact that I was unable to answer them due to my lack of knowledge in that area.
By the way, you mentioned Cuba as being in the same category. Do you know that we have a user who is in the U.S. who uses Cuba as his location flag on this forum simply because he likes how it looks? I can tell from the responses to his posts that some people know where he really is and some people think he is in Cuba, but he gets responses either way.
Also, do you know that it's possible to not have a flag next to your name? Look at my profile to the right of this post. No flag. I didn't actually do it on purpose, but I left it that way after I realized. Basically I think what I did to create that profile was I chose a nationality (which appears if you click on my profile for details) but under country I accidentally left it as "none selected". I think you have to choose one or the other (you can't just leave all fields blank, at least not after you have previously filled them in, as far as I know) but you do not have to have both, and it is the "country" not the "nationality" that produces the flag next to your name. I'm not certain whether or not you can set a field to "none selected" after you have previously selected one or not, but you might give that a try if you don't want a flag to show next to your name. Nevertheless, I honestly don't think anyone here will care about which country it says. People here mainly care about which languages you speak, and even then it's only so that we can ask you questions about the languages you know or communicate in those languages to practice our skills. (I don't think people believe your current profile, otherwise we'd be asking you about Abau. Hunkwe yaprue lwak o? Why not just list the languages you are learning?)

stordragon

Postby stordragon » 2021-06-21, 16:52

Linguaphile wrote:Actually, regarding the post that you posted in the Finnish forum here, Naava did answer it when you asked her here the very next day. And your replied to her there as well. There's really no reason that she should have also posted that answer in the Finnish forum, but that's why it remained with zero replies there - she had answered elsewhere.

I was aware of that post but I did not expect you would bring it up again here lol. Let me reaffirm one fact: it was NOT for that simple reason that the misunderstanding arose. (I know that in this forum alone, many years ago someone criticised me explicitly of being "arrogant" even if that's not the truth; and some folks on some other forums never stop challenging me on my linguistic knowledge to show off their own erudition lol, etc)

Furthermore, when the issue concerns content which the content creators are blocking for copyright reasons, I feel that should be respected and I don't try to find ways around it. In other words, the users in a given country "pay" for the access to that material through their taxes that they pay or through the advertising that they are influenced by in those programs

No, downloading geoblocked TV series from another country for free is completely legal (OR:legitimate), unless you disseminate the downloaded videos to a third party for commercial purposes :lol: Don't have any moral burden lol. That's exactly what the option "--proxy" in youtube-dl.exe is intended for and that's what some legal IT tech giants like ExpressVPN and NordVPN earn a living with. :wink: (However, we do have other free legal VPNs so that we don't even have to pay for ExpressVPN etc. But of course that's another kettle of fish.)

Lets put a cause to this long thread & take a rest.
人生得意须尽欢,莫使金樽空对月。
Hvat krevst fyri at kunnast við aðrar mentanir? Tað er fyrst og fremst teirra mál!(á føroyskum)
Dovddan earenoamážit beroštumi suoma-ugrálaš giellajoavkku dutkamuššii.(davvisámegillii)
Būtina imtis neatidėliotinų priemonių nykstančioms kalboms apsaugoti nuo išnykimo;nes kalbinė įvairovė,mano nuomone,yra ne mažiau svarbi nei biologinė!(lietuviškai)

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-06-21, 22:06

Adding Inari, Northern, Pite, and South Saami; alternatives for Skolt Saami, Estonian, and Lithuanian, and incorporating translations from earlier posts into the list

(en) (1) The book is on the table (2) There is a book on the table
(de) (1) Das Buch liegt auf dem Tisch "The book lies on the table" (2) Auf dem Tisch liegt ein Buch "On the table lies a book" / Da liegt ein Buch auf dem Tisch "There lies a book on the table" / Es liegt ein Buch auf dem Tisch "It lies a book on the table"
(sv) (1) Boken ligger på bordet "Book-the lies on table-the" (2) På bordet ligger (det) en bok "On table-the lies (it) a book" / Det ligger en bok på bordet "It lies a book on table-the"

(it) (1) È sul tavolo "It's on the table" (2) Il libro "The book"
(es) (1) El libro está en la mesa / El libro está sobre la mesa "The book is (situated) on the table"
(2) Hay un libro en la mesa / Hay un libro sobre la mesa "There-is (exists) a book on the table"
(ca) (1) El llibre és a la taula "The book is in/on the table" / El llibre és sobre la taula "The book is on the table" (2) Hi ha un llibre a la taula "There's a book in the table" / Hi ha un llibre sobre la taula "There's a book on the table"
(fr) (1) Le livre est sur la table "The book is on the table" (2) Il y a un livre sur la table "There is a book on the table"
(though French "il y a" is not easy to translate - litteraly it could mean "He/it there has")
(pt) (1) O livro está sobre a mesa "The book is on the table" (2) Tem (Há) (Existe) um livro sobre a mesa "Has/exist a book on the table"

(ru) (1) Книга (лежит) на столе "Book (lies) on table" (2) На столе (лежит) книга "On table (lies) book"
(bg) (1) Книгата е на масата "Book-the is on table-the" (2) На масата има книга "On table-the there is (lit. "has") book"

(el) (1) Το βιβλίο βρίσκεται στο τραπέζι
"The book it-is-found in/on/at/to-the table" (2) Υπάρχει ένα βιβλίο στο τραπέζι "It-exists a book in/on/at/to-the table"

(ga) (1) Tá an leabhar ar an mbord "Is the book on the table" (2) Tá leabhar ar an mbord "Is book on the table"

(lv) (1) Grāmata ir uz galda "Book is on table" / Grāmata guļ uz galda "Book lies on table" (poetic) 2) Uz galda ir grāmata "On table is book"
(ltg) (1) Gruomota guļ iz golda "Book lies on table" / (2) :?:
(sgs) (1) Kninga gol ont stala "Book lies on table" (2) :?:
(lt) (1) Knyga yra ant stalo "Book is on table" / Knyga guli ant stalo "Book lies on table" (2) Ant stalo yra knyga "On table is book" / Ant stalo guli knyga "On table lies book"

(et) (1) Raamat on laual "Book is table-on" / Raamat on laua peal "Book is table on" / Raamat lebab laual "Book lies table-on"; (2) Laual on raamat "Table-on is book" / Laua peal on raamat "Table on is book" / Laual lebab raamat "Table-on lies book"
(fi) (1) Kirja on pöydällä "Book is table-on" (2) Pöydällä on kirja "Table-on is book"
(hu) (1) A könyv az asztalon van "The book the table-on is" (2) Van egy könyv az asztalon "Is a book the table-on"
(izh) (1) Kirja on lauvval "book is table-on" (2) Lauvval on kirja "table-on is book"
(liv) (1) Rōntõz um lōdan pǟl "book is table on" (2) Lōdan pǟl um rōntõz "table on is book"
(mhr) (1) Книга ӱстембалне (кия) "Book table-on (lies)" (2) Ӱстембалне книга (кия) "Table-on book (lies)"
(myv) (1) Книгась ашти столь лангсо "Book-the lies table on" (2) Столь лангсо ашти книга "Table on lies book"
(smi-sme) (1) Girji lea beavddi alde/nalde "book is table on" (2) Beavddi alde/nalde lea girji "table on is book"
(smi-smn) (1) Kirje lii peevdi alne "book is table on" (2) Peevdi alne lii kirje "table on is book"
(smi-smk) (1) Кыррьй ли туэль альн "book is table on" (2) Tуэль альн ли кыррьй "table on is book"
(smi-smp) (1) Girrje/girdje lä bievden "book is table-on" (2) Bievden lä girrje/girdje "table-on is book" :?:
(smi-sms) (1) Ǩeʹrjj lij stuäʹl/påå'rd âʹlnn "book is table on" (2) Stuäʹl/påå'rd âʹlnn lij ǩe'rjj "table on is book"
(smi-sma) (1) Gærja lea buertesne "book is table-on" (2) Buertesne lea gærja "table-on is book" :?:
(vep) (1) Kirj om stolal "book is table-on" (2) Stolal om kirj "table-on is book"
(vot) (1) Tširja on lavvõ pääl "book is table on" (2) Lavvõ pääl on tširja "table on is book"
(vro) (1) Raamat om lavval "book is table-on" (2) Lavval om raamat "table-on is book"

(az) (1) Kitab stolun üstündədir. "book table on-surface-stands" (2) :?:
(gag) (1) Kiyat masanın üstündä. "book table on-surface-is (2) :?:
(tr) (1) Kitap masada "book table-locative" / Kitap masada/masanın üstünde/üzrindee(dir). "book table-locative/table-genitive on-surface/over(stands)" / (2) Masada kitap var "table-in book there-is"
(tk) (1) Kitap stoluň üstünde (dur). "book table on-surface (stands)" (2) :?:
(ba) (1) Китап өҫтәлдә ята. "book table-on lies" (2) :?:
(crh) (1) Kitap masanıñ üstündedir. "book table on-surface-stands" (2) :?:
(kaa) (1) Китап стол үстинде тур. "book table on-surface stands" (2) :?:
(kk) (1) Кітап үстел үстінде тұр/жатыр. "book table on-surface stands/lies" / Кітап үстелде "book table-on" (2) Үстелде кітап бар "table-on book is"
(krc) (1) Китаб стол юсюнде турады. "book table on-surface stands" (2) :?:
(kum) (1) Китап столну уьстюнде тура. "book table on-surface stands" (2) :?:
(ky) (1) Китеп столдун үстүндө турат/жатат. "book table on-surface stands/lies" (2) :?:
(nog) (1) Книга столда/стол уьстинде ятыр/туры. "book table on-surface lies/stands" (2) :?:
(tt) (1) Китап өстәлдә ята. "book table-on lies" (2) :?:
(ug) (1) كىتاب ئۈستەل ئۈستىدە. "book table on-surface" (2) :?:
(uz) (1) Китоб стол устида турибди/ётибди. "book table on-surface stands/lies" (2) :?:
(alt) (1) Бичик столдыҥ ӱстинде јадыры. "book table on-surface stands" (2) :?:
(cjs) (1) Ном терги ӱстӱнде чатча. (2) :?:
(kjh) (1) Книга столда чатча. (2) :?:
(tyv) (1) Ном стол кырында чыдыр. (2) :?:
(sah) (1) Кинигэ остуолга сытар. (2) :?:
(cv) (1) Кӗнеке сӗтел ҫинче выртать. "book table on lies" (2) :?:

(am) መጽሐፉ በጠረጴዛ ላይ ነው/አለ። "Book-the in-table on is/there-is" (2) በጠረጴዛው ላይ መጽሐፍ አለ። "In-table on book there-is"
(ar) (1) الكتاب هو على الطاولة "The-book is (lit. "he") on the-table" (2) يوجد على الطاولة كتاب - "There is (lit. "is found") on the-table a-book"
(ar-apc) (1) Lᵊ-ktaab huwwe 3ala ṭ-ṭaawle "The-book is (lit. "he") on the-table" (2) 3ala ṭ-ṭaawle fii ktaab "On the-table there is (lit. "in it") book"

(hmn-daw) (1) Phau ntawv nyob saum rooj "classifier book is [lit: resides/occupies] on table" (2) Saum rooj muaj phau ntawv "on table is [lit: has] classifier book"
(hmn-njua) (1) Phoo ntawv nyob sau rooj. "classifier book is [lit: resides/occupies] on table" (2) Sau rooj muaj phoo ntawv "on table is [lit: has] classifier book"
(hmn-chuan) (1) Npout ndeud nyaob shout drongx "classifier book is [lit: resides/occupies] on table" (2) Shout drongx muax npout ndeud "on table is [lit: has] classifier book"

(th) (1) หนังสืออยู่บนโต๊ะ "book-is-on-table" (2) มีหนังสืออยู่บนโต๊ะ "have-book-is-on-table"
(tw)(1) 書在桌上。The book is on the table (2) 桌上有(本)書。There is a book on the table.

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2021-09-10, 19:49

Adding Georgian

(de) (1) Das Buch liegt auf dem Tisch "The book lies on the table" (2) Auf dem Tisch liegt ein Buch "On the table lies a book" / Da liegt ein Buch auf dem Tisch "There lies a book on the table" / Es liegt ein Buch auf dem Tisch "It lies a book on the table"
(sv) (1) Boken ligger på bordet "Book-the lies on table-the" (2) På bordet ligger (det) en bok "On table-the lies (it) a book" / Det ligger en bok på bordet "It lies a book on table-the"

(es) (1) El libro está en la mesa / El libro está sobre la mesa "The book is (situated) on the table"
(2) Hay un libro en la mesa / Hay un libro sobre la mesa "There-is (exists) a book on the table"
(ca) (1) El llibre és a la taula "The book is in/on the table" / El llibre és sobre la taula "The book is on the table" (2) Hi ha un llibre a la taula "There's a book in the table" / Hi ha un llibre sobre la taula "There's a book on the table"
(fr) (1) Le livre est sur la table "The book is on the table" (2) Il y a un livre sur la table "There is a book on the table"
(though French "il y a" is not easy to translate - litteraly it could mean "He/it there has")
(pt) (1) O livro está sobre a mesa "The book is on the table" (2) Tem (Há) (Existe) um livro sobre a mesa "Has/exist a book on the table"

(ru) (1) Книга (лежит) на столе "Book (lies) on table" (2) На столе (лежит) книга "On table (lies) book"
(bg) (1) Книгата е на масата "Book-the is on table-the" (2) На масата има книга "On table-the there is (lit. "has") book"

"The book it-is-found in/on/at/to-the table" (2) Υπάρχει ένα βιβλίο στο τραπέζι "It-exists a book in/on/at/to-the table"

(ga) (1) Tá an leabhar ar an mbord "Is the book on the table" (2) Tá leabhar ar an mbord "Is book on the table"

(lv) (1) Grāmata ir uz galda "Book is on table" / Grāmata guļ uz galda "Book lies on table" (poetic) 2) Uz galda ir grāmata "On table is book"
(lt) (1) Knyga yra ant stalo "Book is on table" / Knyga guli ant stalo "Book lies on table" (2) Ant stalo yra knyga "On table is book" / Ant stalo guli knyga "On table lies book"

(et) (1) Raamat on laual "Book is table-on" / Raamat on laua peal "Book is table on" / Raamat lebab laual "Book lies table-on"; (2) Laual on raamat "Table-on is book" / Laua peal on raamat "Table on is book" / Laual lebab raamat "Table-on lies book"
(fi) (1) Kirja on pöydällä "Book is table-on" (2) Pöydällä on kirja "Table-on is book"
(hu) (1) A könyv az asztalon van "The book the table-on is" (2) Van egy könyv az asztalon "Is a book the table-on"
(izh) (1) Kirja on lauvval "book is table-on" (2) Lauvval on kirja "table-on is book"
(liv) (1) Rōntõz um lōdan pǟl "book is table on" (2) Lōdan pǟl um rōntõz "table on is book"
(mhr) (1) Книга ӱстембалне (кия) "Book table-on (lies)" (2) Ӱстембалне книга (кия) "Table-on book (lies)"
(myv) (1) Книгась ашти столь лангсо "Book-the lies table on" (2) Столь лангсо ашти книга "Table on lies book"
(smi-sme) (1) Girji lea beavddi alde/nalde "book is table on" (2) Beavddi alde/nalde lea girji "table on is book"
(smi-smn) (1) Kirje lii peevdi alne "book is table on" (2) Peevdi alne lii kirje "table on is book"
(smi-smk) (1) Кыррьй ли туэль альн "book is table on" (2) Tуэль альн ли кыррьй "table on is book"
(smi-smp) (1) Girrje/girdje lä bievden "book is table-on" (2) Bievden lä girrje/girdje "table-on is book" :?:
(smi-sms) (1) Ǩeʹrjj lij stuäʹl/påå'rd âʹlnn "book is table on" (2) Stuäʹl/påå'rd âʹlnn lij ǩe'rjj "table on is book"
(smi-sma) (1) Gærja lea buertesne "book is table-on" (2) Buertesne lea gærja "table-on is book" :?:
(vep) (1) Kirj om stolal "book is table-on" (2) Stolal om kirj "table-on is book"
(vot) (1) Tširja on lavvõ pääl "book is table on" (2) Lavvõ pääl on tširja "table on is book"
(vro) (1) Raamat om lavval "book is table-on" (2) Lavval om raamat "table-on is book"

(tr) (1) Kitap masada "book table-locative" / Kitap masada/masanın üstünde/üzerinde(dir). "book table-locative/table-genitive on-surface/over(stands)" / (2) Masada kitap var "table-in book there-is"
(kk) (1) Кітап үстел үстінде тұр/жатыр. "book table on-surface stands/lies" / Кітап үстелде "book table-on" (2) Үстелде кітап бар "table-on book is"
(ky) (1) Китеп столдун үстүндө турат/жатат. "book table on-surface stands/lies" (2) :?:
(nog) (1) Книга столда/стол уьстинде ятыр/туры. "book table on-surface lies/stands" (2) :?:
(uz) (1) Китоб стол устида турибди/ётибди. "book table on-surface stands/lies" (2) :?:

(am) መጽሐፉ በጠረጴዛ ላይ ነው/አለ። "Book-the in-table on is/there-is" (2) በጠረጴዛው ላይ መጽሐፍ አለ። "In-table on book there-is"
(ar) (1) الكتاب هو على الطاولة "The-book is (lit. "he") on the-table" (2) يوجد على الطاولة كتاب - "There is (lit. "is found") on the-table a-book"
(ar-apc) (1) Lᵊ-ktaab huwwe 3ala ṭ-ṭaawle "The-book is (lit. "he") on the-table" (2) 3ala ṭ-ṭaawle fii ktaab "On the-table there is (lit. "in it") book"

(hmn-daw) (1) Phau ntawv nyob saum rooj "classifier book is [lit: resides/occupies] on table" (2) Saum rooj muaj phau ntawv "on table is [lit: has] classifier book"
(hmn-njua) (1) Phoo ntawv nyob sau rooj. "classifier book is [lit: resides/occupies] on table" (2) Sau rooj muaj phoo ntawv "on table is [lit: has] classifier book"
(hmn-chuan) (1) Npout ndeud nyaob shout drongx "classifier book is [lit: resides/occupies] on table" (2) Shout drongx muax npout ndeud "on table is [lit: has] classifier book"

(th) (1) หนังสืออยู่บนโต๊ะ "book-is-on-table" (2) มีหนังสืออยู่บนโต๊ะ "have-book-is-on-table"

(ka) (1) წიგნი მაგიდაზეა "book table-on-is" (2) მაგიდაზე წიგნია "table-on book-is"
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

h34

Postby h34 » 2021-10-09, 18:53

Czech

(cs) (1) Kniha leží na stole "Book lies on table" (2) Na stole leží kniha "On table lies book"

(tr) (1) Kitap masada "book table-locative" / Kitap masada/masanın üstünde/üzerinde(dir). "book table-locative/table-genitive on-surface/over(stands)" / (2) Masada kitap var "table-in book there-is"

(ka) (1) წიგნი მაგიდაზეა "book table-on-is" (2) მაგიდაზე წიგნია "table-on book-is"[/quote]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2021-10-10, 19:41

(cs) (1) Kniha leží na stole "Book lies on table" (2) Na stole leží kniha "On table lies book"

(ja) (1 & 2) テーブルの上に本があります。" table's surface at book (subject) is" :?:

(ka) (1) წიგნი მაგიდაზეა "book table-on-is" (2) მაგიდაზე წიგნია "table-on book-is"

Return to “Translations”