Flats and apartments

This is the place where you can ask for translations into several languages at once. For translations into or from just one specific language, please post in the language's own forum or official topic.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

ling
Re: Flats and apartments

Postby ling » 2013-03-19, 15:27

"flat" is rare in American English; we Americans (at least those of us who are familiar with the word) associate "flat" with Brits. (No idea what they say in Australia or New Zealand.) As far as I am aware, a "flat" in the UK is one residential unit within a building; this is what we call this an "apartment" in the US.

In the US, you usually find apartments in an "apartment building".

"home" (though a term widely abused by real estate companies) is more than just a house. It's the house (or place) where you feel a sense of belonging; a place you return to. It's the place that's central to your life, and to which you have an emotional attachment. It's a word that fills one with a sense of warmth and comfort. (Which is why realtors love it... it sells.)

But if you precede "home" with the indefinite article "a", it has yet another meaning: generally a live-in care facility for the elderly, those with mental problems, etc.

Yup: that's English for you. To those learning the language: I feel your pain!
Native: [flag=]en[/flag] Advanced: [flag=]zh[/flag] Actively studying: [flag=]th[/flag][flag=]id[/flag] Passively dabbling: [flag=]lkt[/flag]

Halfdan

Postby Halfdan » 2013-03-19, 15:39

ling wrote:"flat" is rare in American English; we Americans (at least those of us who are familiar with the word) associate "flat" with Brits. (No idea what they say in Australia or New Zealand.) As far as I am aware, a "flat" in the UK is one residential unit within a building; this is what we call this an "apartment" in the US.

In the US, you usually find apartments in an "apartment building".

Same situation in Canada.

miae

Postby miae » 2013-07-24, 11:24

Adding Nynorsk, Slovenian, Croatian, Serbian, and copying Brazilian Portuguese.

[flag]nl[/flag] flat - appartement
[flag]en[/flag] apartment block - flat
[flag]us[/flag] apartment building - apartment
[flag]no-nb[/flag] blokk - leilighet
[flag]no-nn[/flag] blokk - leilegheit

[flag]pt-br[/flag] prédio, apartamento

[flag]sl[/flag] blok - stanovanje
[flag]hr[/flag] blok - stan
[flag]sr[/flag] блок - стан

[flag]fi[/flag] kerrostalo - asunto

Colette

Postby Colette » 2024-05-11, 10:20

Living in flats and apartments offers convenience and often a sense of community, with amenities like security, maintenance, and sometimes shared recreational spaces. However, it can also mean limited space, noise from neighbors, and less privacy compared to standalone houses. The choice between a flat/apartment and a house depends on individual preferences, lifestyle, and priorities. While flats are often favored for their affordability and low maintenance, some may prefer the autonomy and space provided by a house. Ultimately, it's about finding the best fit for one's needs and lifestyle.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2024-05-12, 0:19

Adding Spanish, Estonian, Võro and another option for British English, with some notes below.

(nl) flat - appartement
(en) apartment block / block of flats - flat
(en-us) apartment building - apartment
(no-nb) blokk - leilighet
(no-nn) blokk - leilegheit

(pt-br) prédio - apartamento
(es-ES) edificio de apartamentos / edificio de pisos - apartamento / piso
(es-MX) edificio de apartamentos / edificio de departamentos / multifamiliar - apartamento / departamento

(sl) blok - stanovanje
(hr) blok - stan
(sr) блок - стан

(et) kortermaja / korterelamu - korter
(vro) kortinamaja / kortnamaja - kortin / kortna
(fi) kerrostalo - asunto

Notes for Estonian: A kortermaja or korterelamu has three or more apartments, with shared stairways to the upper ones. If each apartment has its own entrance from outside (including its own stairway if the building has two stories), it's a ridamaja or ridaelamu. If the apartments not only share a stairway but also share a kitchen and/or bathroom, then it's an ühiskorter (a relic of Soviet times, much less common now than it once was). If the building has only two apartments, it's not a kortermaja but instead a paarismaja. If it's a single-family home (detached house), then it's an eramaja or eramu. Multi-story apartment buildings can also be called korrusmaja or korruselamu, which has the same meaning as Finnish kerrostalo. And all of these buildings can be called maja (house).

Notes for Spanish: For "apartment building," edificio de departamentos and (especially for larger apartments complexes) multifamiliar are used in various parts of Latin America, while edificio de pisos is used in Spain. Edificio de apartamentos is used in both Spain and Latin America, and the taller kind can be called torre de apartamentos. More formally, you can say edificio de viviendas. You can also say casa de apartamentos or casa de departamentos, the latter in Latin American only. Casa on its own means "house". For "apartment," departamento is used in Latin America, piso is used in Spain, and apartamento is used everywhere. In parts of Spain, apartamento specifically means a one-bedroom apartment and piso is used for larger apartments, but elsewhere in Spain the two words are interchangeable, so this varies by region. It's also useful to know that piso also means "floor" (in both of its meanings, i.e. "my apartment building has five floors" and "I dropped my ice cream cone on the floor") in addition to its meaning of "apartment" in Spain.
Last edited by Linguaphile on 2024-05-14, 5:19, edited 2 times in total.

h34

Postby h34 » 2024-05-14, 4:51

Adding German

(nl) flat - appartement
(de) Wohnblock - Wohnung

(es-MX) edificio de apartamentos / edificio de departamentos / multifamiliar - apartamento / departamento

(sl) blok - stanovanje
(hr) blok - stan
(sr) блок - стан

(fi) kerrostalo - asunto

Notes for German: If each apartment of a Wohnblock has its own entrance from outside, it's a Reihenhaus. As mentioned in a previous post, a very common type of Wohnblock in eastern Germany was (and still is) Plattenbau, Platten- referring to the prefabricated concrete slabs they consist of.
http://forum.unilang.org/viewtopic.php?t=39624#p857515
Plattenbau is sometimes shortened to Platte in eastern Germany.
Last edited by h34 on 2024-05-14, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2024-05-14, 5:19

After looking at that last post, I realized I made a copy/paste error with my Spanish (put a European Spanish word with the Mexican words and left off the one I meant to add for Mexico in its place). I'm going to edit it above, in my own post, but I'm also correcting it here so that any additional languages that get added will have the correct version to start from.

(nl) flat - appartement
(de) Wohnblock - Wohnung

(sl) blok - stanovanje
(hr) blok - stan
(sr) блок - стан

(fi) kerrostalo - asunto

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2024-06-09, 17:34

Adding Swedish.

You shorten it down to just hus if it's already clear from context what kind of building you're talking about though. Also, a larger, more luxurious apartment is våning, a word that normally means floor/storey/level, probably because they sometimes take up an entire floor and it was even more common that they did back in the day.

(nl) flat - appartement
(de) Wohnblock - Wohnung
(sv) lägenhetshus - lägenhet

(sl) blok - stanovanje
(hr) blok - stan
(sr) блок - стан

(fi) kerrostalo - asunto
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2024-06-10, 21:58

Adding French.

(nl) flat - appartement
(de) Wohnblock - Wohnung

(fr) immeuble - appartement / (informal) appart

(sl) blok - stanovanje
(hr) blok - stan
(sr) блок - стан

(fi) kerrostalo - asunto
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

loqu

Postby loqu » 2024-06-11, 8:53

You guys will have to let me delete the "edificio de apartamentos" being used in Spain - I have never heard it around here, and it certainly sounds Latin American. I can't deny for certain that there may be parts of Spain where apartamento is used for any apartment (I have never heard it), but it isn't the norm, it must be a very localized word. For the whole building, the most used expression is bloque de pisos, but I don't rule out that edificio de pisos is used (it sounds odd to me, though). Dialectally, also the word finca is used (it's the only word used in Valencia, and it is quite common in Barcelona, but it is not used in that sense in Sevilla, for example).

(nl) flat - appartement
(de) Wohnblock - Wohnung

(es-ES) edificio de pisos / bloque de pisos - piso / apartamento

(sl) blok - stanovanje
(hr) blok - stan
(sr) блок - стан

(fi) kerrostalo - asunto[/quote]
Нека људи уживају у стварима.
Let people enjoy things.

h34

Postby h34 » 2024-06-11, 15:07

+ Meadow Mari, Tatar

(nl) flat - appartement
(de) Wohnblock - Wohnung

(es-ES) edificio de pisos / bloque de pisos - piso / apartamento

(sl) blok - stanovanje
(hr) blok - stan
(sr) блок - стан

(fi) kerrostalo - asunto
(mhr) шуко квартиран пöрт - пачер / квартир

(tt) күп фатирлы йорт - фатир

Return to “Translations”