Your attitudes towards “purity” and loan-words

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

hlysnan

Re: Your attitudes towards “purity” and loan-words

Postby hlysnan » 2010-12-11, 20:32

Talib wrote:Not without precedent. 计算机 means "calculator" in Singaporean Mandarin, but "computer" in standard Mandarin.

I actually haven't heard of 计算机. In Standard Mandarin would there be any difference from 电脑?

thoughtsafar wrote: :whistle: I was making it up as I went along, if anyone has a better Anglish word for computer, I'd love to hear it. I figured reckoner could fit with the original meaning of compute, which has not adequately described what a computer actually does for decades; one could distinguish a calculator as a tellingreckoner, perhaps.

By the way, I've never quite found an answer for this, but what is the position on the early Norse borrowings in the Anglish school of thought? Yes, they're Germanic, but they're not English, and they are foreign borrowings. Although I guess to react against them we'd have to rework the copula and pronouns...

You probably don't even need to distinguish computer from calculator and can determine the meaning from context alone. As for Norse borrowings, I don't think Anglish is opposed to these.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2010-12-11, 21:45

Talking about a reckoner just makes me think the Second Coming is at hand.
That's because you live in the South. Personally it reminds me of some high fantasy novel.
I actually haven't heard of 计算机. In Standard Mandarin would there be any difference from 电脑?
Don't think so. I think 电脑 is the more common term though.

thoughtsafar

Postby thoughtsafar » 2010-12-11, 22:58

Talib wrote:
Don't think so. I think 电脑 is the more common term though.

电脑 is definitely more common as far as I'm aware, and I believe 计算机 can mean both computer and calculator in Standard Mandarin, but 电脑 is only computer. My teacher brought up 计算机 once a couple months ago and described the difference, but this is all I remember; otherwise, we've only used 电脑.

reckoner? really? That makes me think that Anglish only tries to calque every German word of Germanic origin.

Well, I tried looking up what word King Alfred used for computer, but, you know...
Comfortable: English, German, Dutch
Working on: Italian, Mandarin
On hiatus: Swedish, Spanish, French, Russian
Ancient languages: Latin, Ancient Greek, Old English
Waiting not-so-patiently to start: Welsh, Romanian, Slovene, Zulu

sa wulfs

Postby sa wulfs » 2010-12-12, 3:21

Yasha wrote:You probably don't even need to distinguish computer from calculator and can determine the meaning from context alone. As for Norse borrowings, I don't think Anglish is opposed to these.

Obviously, because Anglish makes no friggin' sense and it's incoherent and ridiculous and silly and, in short, baloney sandwiches.
http://ungelicisus.blogspot.com
Hrōþabaírhts sa Wulfs | Hrōðbeorht se Wulf | Hróðbjartr Úlfrinn | Hruodperaht der Wolf | Hrôthberht thê Wulf

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2010-12-12, 3:55

thoughtsafar wrote:电脑 is definitely more common as far as I'm aware, and I believe 计算机 can mean both computer and calculator in Standard Mandarin, but 电脑 is only computer. My teacher brought up 计算机 once a couple months ago and described the difference, but this is all I remember; otherwise, we've only used 电脑.

電腦 originated in Taiwanese Mandarin but I guess it's since spread to the Mainland.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2010-12-12, 4:17

That's because you live in the South. Personally it reminds me of some high fantasy novel.

Wait, South because I live in the US? I'm certainly not a Southerner, you damn inhabitant of the great white north!
Most men are rather stupid, and most of those who are not stupid are, consequently, rather vain.
-A.E. Housman

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2010-12-12, 5:45

My apologies. I thought you lived in Georgia for some reason.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2010-12-12, 10:04

thoughtsafar wrote: :whistle: I was making it up as I went along, if anyone has a better Anglish word for computer, I'd love to hear it. I figured reckoner could fit with the original meaning of compute, which has not adequately described what a computer actually does for decades; one could distinguish a calculator as a tellingreckoner, perhaps.

In German, Rechner is used as a synonym for Computer (not as common, though). A calculator is a Taschenrechner (pocket calculator).
Please correct my mistakes!

Śrāmaṇera

Postby Śrāmaṇera » 2010-12-12, 10:37

Here in Wuhan (Hubei province), I've never heard 计算机 for computers. I've only met the word as "calculator". Same in Japanese by the way (計算機).

loqu
Location: Sevilla [seˈβiʝa] (Andalucía), born in Cádiz [ˈkaði]

Postby loqu » 2010-12-12, 15:06

thoughtsafar wrote:
reckoner? really? That makes me think that Anglish only tries to calque every German word of Germanic origin.

Well, I tried looking up what word King Alfred used for computer, but, you know...

yeah, I know, you don't really need another word for computer, so let's just copy German.
Dir la veritat sempre és revolucionari.

md0

Postby md0 » 2010-12-12, 15:21

Seriously, what's so wrong with French/Latin words in English? Get rid of them and you will get something resembling to German. And that's something no one should be aiming for :) (No offense to the Germanophones, but it's my least favorite language at the moment).
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

thoughtsafar

Postby thoughtsafar » 2010-12-12, 18:21

Alright, how about thoughtloom? I didn't think taking calques of German was such a big deal, seeing as how Anglish could take a German calque of every Latinate word and still not resemble German as much as Dutch does. That's kind of the point, revitalizing West Germanic roots.

Either way, It's not a big deal to me; my attitude toward Anglish is that it's a fun style to use, not that it's actually a feasible reform.
Comfortable: English, German, Dutch
Working on: Italian, Mandarin
On hiatus: Swedish, Spanish, French, Russian
Ancient languages: Latin, Ancient Greek, Old English
Waiting not-so-patiently to start: Welsh, Romanian, Slovene, Zulu

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2010-12-12, 20:34

Even with the removal of foreign words, English would still have a very different grammatical and phonological structure from German. Let's not even get started on the spelling.

hlysnan

Postby hlysnan » 2010-12-12, 21:03

thoughtsafar wrote:Alright, how about thoughtloom? I didn't think taking calques of German was such a big deal, seeing as how Anglish could take a German calque of every Latinate word and still not resemble German as much as Dutch does. That's kind of the point, revitalizing West Germanic roots.

Either way, It's not a big deal to me; my attitude toward Anglish is that it's a fun style to use, not that it's actually a feasible reform.

Thoughtloom for computer? I think reckoner is fine.

sa wulfs

Postby sa wulfs » 2010-12-12, 21:07

I think computer is fine.
Hrōþabaírhts sa Wulfs | Hrōðbeorht se Wulf | Hróðbjartr Úlfrinn | Hruodperaht der Wolf | Hrôthberht thê Wulf

loqu

Postby loqu » 2010-12-12, 21:12

sa wulfs wrote:I think computer is fine.

:lol:

The comparison between Anglish and Dutch got me lolling.

Æxylis

Postby Æxylis » 2010-12-18, 7:34

I figure that since English is already so screwed up as it is, if any loanwords, they should be from other Germanic languages. They needn't necessarily even be western Germanic ones. I would love to see English be rid of its romance-influenced words and start taking in more northern Germanic words. The syntax is closer to modern northern germanic languages than western germanic ones anyway, besides, northern germanic words are cooler 8-)
I propose we add in more swedish, danish, norwegian, faroese, icelandic, old norse, (revert to) old english, frisian, and perhaps even some other languages from the region like finnish, estonian, latvian, lithuanian, polish, czech, and hungarian and whatnot... screw the romance words, they're overrated :D
Если хочешь говорить со мной по скайпу, мой скайп нейм - jaakuuta
If you want to speak with me on Skype, my Skype name is jaakuuta

sa wulfs

Postby sa wulfs » 2010-12-18, 9:57

So English is "screwed up" because of its Romance loanwords, while loanwords from all other European language families would be fine, as long as they're not Romance. Germanic words are automatically cooler. Smiley.

Okay, seriously, am I the only one who's bothered by the racist undertones of all this anti-Romance malarkey?

Æxylis

Postby Æxylis » 2010-12-18, 10:42

sa wulfs wrote:So English is "screwed up" because of its Romance loanwords, while loanwords from all other European language families would be fine, as long as they're not Romance. Germanic words are automatically cooler. Smiley.

Okay, seriously, am I the only one who's bothered by the racist undertones of all this anti-Romance malarkey?

:lol: I was kidding about all the other european languages in favor of romance loanwords... if I was really trying to be racist I would've been more serious about it... although I do favor germanic loanwords in general over others
Если хочешь говорить со мной по скайпу, мой скайп нейм - jaakuuta
If you want to speak with me on Skype, my Skype name is jaakuuta

loqu

Postby loqu » 2010-12-18, 12:44

sa wulfs wrote:Okay, seriously, am I the only one who's bothered by the racist undertones of all this anti-Romance malarkey?

I agree, but I accepted long ago that 80% of this forum is anti-Romance in every aspect.

Return to “General Language Forum”