Pet Peeves

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

mōdgethanc
Re: Pet Peeves

Postby mōdgethanc » 2021-05-03, 11:44

Gormur wrote:
mōdgethanc wrote:Affrication of /tj/ and /dj/ in English is well-established in some words and doesn't bother me but I don't like when /tr, dr/ get affricated myself.
I don't recall hearing those affricates. Could you give me an example? The only time I understand affricated /tj/ is in costume
Britons are known for doing it a lot, like in "tune", "tube", "dew", "Tuesday", "schedule". In North American English we drop the /j/ in many of these words so they're just plain stops, but it's still there in some words like "schedule" or "educate", which have the affrication. If there is a rule, maybe it's that the /j/ is dropped if it's the first syllable of a word.

"Costume" is in fact one word where I don't affricate the /t/, but in other dialects they would I guess.
vijayjohn wrote:How often do people really pronounce /tr dr/ in English without affricating them?
In North America? I would guess not often. Not sure about Britain or anywhere else though.
OldBoring wrote:That reminds me that in China English teachers consider it wrong when students do not affricate them.
Most people use the Mandarin sounds ch and zh.

This helped me learn to pronounce the retroflex sounds in Mandarin (and Slavic languages where they're pretty much the same).
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Aurora-Evie

Postby Aurora-Evie » 2021-05-07, 6:42

The word I'ma bugs me in two ways:

1. A lot of people spell it as Imma, which flat out looks wrong to me... Where's the apostrophe from "I'm"? Where the hECC did that extra M come from? :silly:

2. It feels pretty weird as a contraction for "I'm going to"... I mean, "going" was completely removed from the phrase. I think I'm'na (/ˈə.mə.nə/) is much better :D

The only place I accept it is in aight imma head out.
(en) English (native)
(es) Spanish (B1)
(art) Neo-Ruetrique (creation in progress)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-05-07, 15:38

I'm with you on point #1 but on #2, that's how it's spelled because that's how it's pronounced. "I'm'na" is a perfectly good spelling but of a different pronunciation.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Aurora-Evie

Postby Aurora-Evie » 2021-05-07, 18:27

linguoboy wrote:I'm with you on point #1 but on #2, that's how it's spelled because that's how it's pronounced. "I'm'na" is a perfectly good spelling but of a different pronunciation.

I'm talking about how I'ma sounds really weird as a contraction for it, because "going" was completely deleted from the phrase, while I'm'na still kind of has it in there.
(en) English (native)
(es) Spanish (B1)
(art) Neo-Ruetrique (creation in progress)

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2021-08-06, 5:17

Anyone else feel they speak much more clearly in another language? I hate the way my /s/ sounds in English (it sounds kind of "slushy" somehow) and don't like my /l/ either (it's dark /l/ and I find clear /l/ hard to say in English). But these problems go away when I speak other languages. Don't things like this carry over into other languages? Isn't this weird? Any thoughts?
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-08-15, 21:31

I think that makes sense. When you're trying to learn another language, you're likely to be a lot more conscious of how you're speaking and probably have less reason to assume anyone would understand what you're saying by default.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2021-08-17, 6:08

mōdgethanc wrote:Anyone else feel they speak much more clearly in another language? I hate the way my /s/ sounds in English (it sounds kind of "slushy" somehow) and don't like my /l/ either (it's dark /l/ and I find clear /l/ hard to say in English). But these problems go away when I speak other languages. Don't things like this carry over into other languages? Isn't this weird? Any thoughts?

The feeling you describe sounds at least partly misattributed. Dark L vs. light L is a matter of a language's phonology, no? Naturally, you would find your /l/ sounds different if your native language has [ɫ] and your L2 has [l]. Any value judgements you attach to those phones are purely subjective. Something similar is probably happening with /s/, which is alveolar in English but dental in many other languages.

That said, people often learn additional languages in an academic envrionment, with emphasis on clear pronunciation, so I don't think it's surprising to enunciate better in one's L2.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

cHr0mChIk

Postby cHr0mChIk » 2022-01-23, 22:49

mōdgethanc wrote:Anyone else feel they speak much more clearly in another language? I hate the way my /s/ sounds in English (it sounds kind of "slushy" somehow) and don't like my /l/ either (it's dark /l/ and I find clear /l/ hard to say in English). But these problems go away when I speak other languages. Don't things like this carry over into other languages? Isn't this weird? Any thoughts?

Ohh yes! People always compliment my pronunciation when I speak, or try to speak a lot of languages other than English. But when I speak English I sound hella foreign even though I've been speaking it since I was a child... Maybe it's just that I've never lived in an anglophone country... :hmm:

My English pronunciation annoys me a lot, and if I speak slowly and if I am self conscious how I speak, it's fine, because I can identify most things wrong with it, but whenever in an actual conversation all these weird sounds come out :roll:
Speaks: English (en) Bosnian (bs) Serbian (sr) Romani (rom)

Learns: Arabic (ar) Urdu (ur) Pashto (ps)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-01-25, 19:30

Any idea why that happens specifically with English?

nijk

Postby nijk » 2022-01-31, 12:40

My English pet peeves:

-The fact that "logics" (meaning the discipline that studies logic, by analogy with economics, linguistics etc) is not a thing.

-The fact that "antiquity" and "ambiguity" are stressed on different syllables.

-The fact that you cannot say "I explain you this" but have to say "I explain this to you".

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2022-01-31, 17:40

nijk wrote:The fact that "antiquity" and "ambiguity" are stressed on different syllables.

Actually, they're both stressed on the antepenult. It just happens that they have a different syllable count because one has a hiatus and the other doesn't:

an-TI-qui-ty
am-bi-GU-i-ty

This is why I wish we used diaereses in English, since it would make the difference unambigüous
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Osias

Postby Osias » 2022-02-01, 0:58

And THAT'S my pet peeve: the spelling reform that removed the trema from Portuguese.

I wonder if this thread can be translated as "raivinhas de estimação".
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-02-08, 1:26

nijk wrote:My English pet peeves:

-The fact that "logics" (meaning the discipline that studies logic, by analogy with economics, linguistics etc) is not a thing.

But economics isn't the discipline that studies "economic," and linguistics isn't the discipline that studies "linguistic," either. :hmm:

Sarabi

Postby Sarabi » 2022-04-12, 13:24

Je déteste quand quelqu'un voudrait me critiquer, et j'admets à mes fautes, mais l'autre refuse d'admettre qu'elle a fait la même faute. C'est condescendant et hypocrite.

Je déteste aussi quand on est offensé par le mot "hypocrite" lorsqu'on est hypocrite ! Ce n'est pas une insulte, c'est une observation de son comportement.
Philyra Games (språkspill)

B1+ (no)(fr)(es) A1-A2 (ro)(zh)(it)(sw)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2022-04-14, 0:37

2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Return to “General Language Forum”