Pronunciation and meaning

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

AdamsDriver
Pronunciation and meaning

Postby AdamsDriver » 2021-04-12, 12:14

So I am changing my last name soon for personal reasons and I want to make sure I have the correct pronunciation and meaning of the name I picked.

The name is: Tyrkind Pronounced to my understanding as: tear Ken Meaning: children of the gods

Sorry if this isn't the correct place for this.

linguoboy

Re: Pronunciation and meaning

Postby linguoboy » 2021-04-12, 19:06

It's kind of an odd mix. "Tyr" is the Old Norse form of the name of the Germanic god Tīwaz, while kind in the sense of "child" is Dutch or German. Both terms are singular, not plural. And while Tyr etymologically means "god" (it's related to Latin deus), it's the name of a specific god, not "gods" in general. In Norse mythology the gods were known as the Æsir (to which Tyr belongs) and the Vanir.

Now there is an Old Norse term kind which means "race" or "kind". But the usual suffix meaning "child of" or "descendant of" is -ingr or -lingr. For instance, the line of kings descended from Yngvi (another name for the god Freyr) are called the Ynglingar. So if you wanted to say "children/descendants of the Æsir", the expected Old Norse form would be "Æsingar" or "Æslingar". If you just wanted to say "children/descendants of the god Tyr" it would be "Týringar". And so forth,

If you want to go with something more German-sounding, the Old High German equivalent of Æsir would be *Ensî. Applying the same ending would give you Ensing or Ensling. "Gods' child" would be "Enskind" or "Ensekind". In Old English, the singular form was os and is found in personal names like "Oswald" or "Osbert". A modernised English version of Ens(l)ing would be "Esing" or "Esling". You could also use the equivalents of "god" instead but I'm guessing that you don't want a name with such Christian overtones? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry if this is not exactly what you're looking for.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Return to “General Language Forum”