Last word in a foreign language that you learnt 2

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

linguoboy
Re: Last word in a foreign language that you learnt 2

Postby linguoboy » 2021-02-11, 14:50

indung mutiara mother-of-pearl

Indung seems to be a variant of induk "dam; mother [of animals]", but I don't know if this is a calque or a parallel development.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Rí.na.dTeangacha

Postby Rí.na.dTeangacha » 2021-02-13, 14:59

(pt-br) lele da cuca - slang term for doido, maluco (crazy)
(pt-br)(ja) - Formerly Ciarán12

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2021-02-20, 9:42

(fr) compléter v - complete; complement

I already knew this word for the "complete" meaning, but not the idea of "complement", two or more things/people that together form a whole or that have well-matched strengths and weaknesses. I noticed that sense while watching a book-recommendation video from YouTuber Émile Roy.

Émile Roy wrote:Donc c'est important de recommander des livres qui se complètent, qui ont pas toutes les mêmes opinions, la même vision politique, la même vision du monde, qui ont des voix qui se répondent, qui se complètent.

So it's important to recommend books that complement each other, that don't have all the same opinions, the same political views, the same worldview, that have voices that answer each other, that complement each other.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-02-20, 21:34

Dormouse559 wrote:(fr) compléter v - complete; complement

I didn't know that meaning either, so I just learned something!

Dormouse559 wrote:
Émile Roy wrote:Donc c'est important de recommander des livres qui se complètent, qui ont pas toutes les mêmes opinions, la même vision politique, la même vision du monde, qui ont des voix qui se répondent, qui se complètent.

So it's important to recommend books that complement each other, that don't have all the same opinions, the same political views, the same worldview, that have voices that answer each other, that complement each other.

I think this is one aspect of French syntactic grammar that has always confused me - considering several clauses put together a valid sentence even when some of the clauses are contrastive but no contrastive conjunction is used. For example, if I were writing that in English, I would've naturally said, "... that don't all have the same opinions, the same political views, the same worldview, but that have voices that answer each other, that complement each other." As such, if I were to write that in French, I would've used mais and done the same thing. It confuses me that in French, the word mais isn't required. When I was a beginner learner, I didn't understand how French could have a grammatical structure like that. Now, of course, I'm more used to it and I know that grammatical structures vary across languages, but what confuses me today is how to write like that in French. When could I write two clauses that are contrastive side by side without a constrastive conjunction, and when do I need to add a word like mais?
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2021-02-20, 22:47

dEhiN wrote:I think this is one aspect of French syntactic grammar that has always confused me - considering several clauses put together a valid sentence even when some of the clauses are contrastive but no contrastive conjunction is used. For example, if I were writing that in English, I would've naturally said, "... that don't all have the same opinions, the same political views, the same worldview, but that have voices that answer each other, that complement each other." As such, if I were to write that in French, I would've used mais and done the same thing. It confuses me that in French, the word mais isn't required. When I was a beginner learner, I didn't understand how French could have a grammatical structure like that. Now, of course, I'm more used to it and I know that grammatical structures vary across languages, but what confuses me today is how to write like that in French. When could I write two clauses that are contrastive side by side without a constrastive conjunction, and when do I need to add a word like mais?

It's possible to leave out conjunctions in English too. That's why I also did it in my translation. I think in both languages, it's a natural result of speaking off the top of your head. I'd say adding "but/mais" specifically is an option here but not necessary. It depends on how you interpret the the negative in the first subordinate clause. Are you saying "they do not do x and instead of that do y", or are you saying "they both (a) do not do x and (b) do do y"?

Rí.na.dTeangacha

Postby Rí.na.dTeangacha » 2021-02-21, 16:13

(pt-br) sortelégio - sortilege

Rí.na.dTeangacha

Postby Rí.na.dTeangacha » 2021-02-25, 20:43

(pt-pt) registo - register, registration (registro in Brazilian Portuguese)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-02-25, 21:10

(pt-BR) redário a place to hang a hammock (rede)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Osias

Postby Osias » 2021-02-28, 2:19

Never seen that, I just call it 'gancho' = 'hook'. But it makes sense and it's probably well used.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-02-28, 14:11

Hungarian (hu) ember - mankind, human being, person
Finnish (fi) lippu - flag
Chukchi (ckt) [təˈmejŋəˈlevtəpəɣtəɻkən] - I have a fierce headache
Central Siberian Yupik (ypk-ESS) angyaghllangyuqtuq(lla) [aŋˈɣjaɣhɬaŋɣjuqtuq]([ɬa]) - (also), he/she wants to acquire a big boat

(All from the same book btw)

EDIT: Oh, also:
schnaz wrote:kwe hello in the Algonquin language
http://www.hilaroad.com/camp/nation/hello1.wav

Not just in Algonquin. This word seems pretty common throughout much of the East Coast.
EDIT2: Fixed the first two words per Linguaphile's post below (yes, they are all from a linguistics book) :)
Last edited by vijayjohn on 2021-02-28, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-02-28, 16:03

vijayjohn wrote:Hungarian (hu) ember - man
Estonian (et) lippu - flag

vijayjohn wrote:(All from the same book btw)

Is it a linguistics book?
It's interesting that they use the from lippu. That is the partitive singular and also illative singular of lipp, so "[some] flags", "into the flag" etc. Lipp is the nominative singular.
Ember does mean "man" in the sense of "mankind, human being, person" but not in the sense of "male".

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-02-28, 16:25

(ca) esplugabous cattle egret
(ga) iarmhairt consequence
(cy) ofergoel a superstition

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-03-03, 21:35

(fr) le cours numérique digital course
(fr) le marque-page bookmark
(fr) la citoyenneté netizen (i.e., citizen of the Internet)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2021-03-04, 17:08

dEhiN wrote:(fr) la citoyenneté netizen (i.e., citizen of the Internet)

Citoyenneté means "citizenship". The usual word for "netizen" is internaute.

Rí.na.dTeangacha

Postby Rí.na.dTeangacha » 2021-03-05, 14:34

(pt-br) estanho tin (element)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-03-05, 15:47

Dormouse559 wrote:
dEhiN wrote:(fr) la citoyenneté netizen (i.e., citizen of the Internet)

Citoyenneté means "citizenship". The usual word for "netizen" is internaute.

Oh ok! My mistake, I was mixing up with citoyen which is just "citizen". Thanks for the correction. :D

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-03-05, 15:51

Rí.na.dTeangacha wrote:(pt-br) estanho tin (element)

Is a different word used when referring to the product material, like a tin can?

Rí.na.dTeangacha

Postby Rí.na.dTeangacha » 2021-03-05, 18:33

dEhiN wrote:
Rí.na.dTeangacha wrote:(pt-br) estanho tin (element)

Is a different word used when referring to the product material, like a tin can?

Yes, a tin can is uma lata. Most latas nowadays are made alumínio, so there's no connection to the material "tin" in the name in Portuguese. The further I dig into the word lata though, the more confused I get. My wife insists that lata to her just means "can", that you can't describe something as being made of "lata" (e.g. foi feito de lata) any more than we can say "it was made of can". And linguee seems to agree mostly, with "bairro de lata" as a set phrase being the only use that even looks like it might take "lata" to mean some kind of material. I saw some discussion on a WordReference forum where a translator, who seemed to be a native PT-PT speaker, was considering if "banheira de lata" or "banheira de estanho" were appropriate translations for "tin bathtub", which implies she didn't dismiss "banheira de lata" out of hand as ridiculous, but that's about the only evidence I have for "lata" as referring to a material rather than a receptical. I think the fact that "latão" exists with the meaning "brass, copper" makes me think that at some point "lata" must have referred to a material...

EDIT: So, according to Wiktionary, latão comes from Arabic 'lātūn', from Turkish 'altln', whereas lata comes from Italian 'latta', from Old High German 'latta', so there's ni connection.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2021-03-07, 3:51

But what about calling an old car a "lata velha'? :hmm:
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-03-07, 4:27

Rí.na.dTeangacha wrote:Yes, a tin can is uma lata.

Yeah, I know lata means can, though I've never thought of it as a reference to a material. It seems to me that bairro de lata might come from the idea of a slum being akin to a walled neighbourhood, so similarity to feeling like inside a can? I could see the same with banheiro de estanho vs banheiro de lata. It's possible that banheiro de lata is a more colloquial expression arising from looking like a (tin) can that you bathe in, rather than another reference to the material. If so, perhaps that's why the translator wasn't sure what to say for "tin bathtub"; should they go with a direct reference to the material it's made from or the more colloquial expression that's used in PT-PT.

Return to “General Language Forum”