Transcriptions and/or translations in multiple languages

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Transcriptions and/or translations in multiple languages

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-02-05, 6:33

This is a thread similar to the thread for translating news, except that it's for transcribing and/or translating audio or video samples in various languages.

This is a video from a comedy show in the Basque Region in Spain. It's mostly in Spanish but has a few words of Basque in it as well (as is typically the case for a lot of the sketches in this show). I'm going to use flags to indicate each time the language changes (and which language the characters are speaking at that point). I'm having trouble making out some parts of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cbjqn16560
Teacher: Spanish (es) ¿Has pedido un servicio?
Did you order a service?
Student: Sí, sí. Pero pasa, que te van a ver. Estoooy un poco nervioso. E-es la primera vez que hago esto.
Yeah, yeah. But come in or they'll see you. Iii'm a little nervous. Th-this is the first time I'm doing this.
T: Tranquilo, vas a disfrutar mucho. ¿Qué es lo que prefieres? ¿Francés, griego?
Relax, you'll have a great time. What do you prefer? French, Greek? I just realized that "French" and "Greek" are probably puns on sexual stereotypes.
S: No, no, e-euskera. Es que es todo eso que por cuando vine a vivir en Vitoria, lo llevo fatal. Al final ??? pagar para conseguir que alguien me hable en euskera. :?:
No, no, B-Basque [euskera is a regional term specific to Vitoria IIRC]. It's all like this, you see; as long as I've come to live in Vitoria, it's been going terribly for me. In the end ??? to pay to get someone to talk to me in Basque.
T: No te vas a arrepentir, soy una profesional en la lengua. Eso sí, yo paso de cosaradas. ¿Nada de vizcaíno ni de ??? para leer? :?:
You won't regret it; I'm a pro at the language. The only thing is I'm very no-nonsense. No Biscayan [dialect] or ??? to read?
S: No, no, si yo soy muy normal. Me conformo con hablar en batúa.
No, no, I'm very normal. I'm okay with talking in Standard Basque.
Friend: Perdón :?:, ¿os importa que me quede aquí? Es quee me gusta mirar.
'Scuse me :?:, y'all mind if I stay here? You seee, I'd like to watch.
S: Mi amigo Germán. :?: Está en primer nível de euskaltegi, y necesita el ???.
My friend Germán. :?: He's in the first level of euskaltegi (Basque school), and he needs the ???.
T: Por mí no hay problema, claro que será :?: un poquito más caro.
There's no problem for me; of course, it'll be a little bit more expensive.
F: Vosotros haced lo vuestro :?:, ¿eh? Como si yo no estuviera. ;)
Y'all do yer thing, okay? As if I wasn't here.
T: ¿Quieres que pongamos el TV1 para ponernos a tono? :?:
Wanna put on TV1 to get ourselves up to speed? :?:
S: Veo que te va la marcha, ¿eh? :?:
I see you're ready to get this party started, huh? :?:
T: Muy bien. Pues, vamos a ponernos a tono. :?: Basque (eu) Kaixo. Zer moduz?
Very well, then let's get ourselves up to speed. :?: Basque (eu) Hi. How are you?
S: Ondo. Ta zu?
Fine. You?
T: Spanish (es) ¿Te ha gustado?
Spanish (es) Did you like it?
S: Ha sido genial...¿Sabes qué? Te voy a retirar. :?: ¡Voy a montarte un euskaltegi para ti sola!
It was awesome...You know what? I'm going to withdraw you. :?: I'm going to set up an euskaltegi just for you!
T: Sería bonito, pero es mejor que lo dejemos aquí. En esta profesión a veces tengo que enfrentar ??? terribles que no sabrías entender.
That would be cute, but it's better for us to leave it here. In this job, sometimes, I have to face terrible ??? that you wouldn't be able to understand.
S: Ah.
T: Vamos. ¡Enséñame todo lo que sabes!
Come on. Show me everything you know!
Politician: Basque (eu) Ni...Spanish (es) político noble...Basque (eu) naiz!
Basque (eu) I...am...Spanish (es) a noble politician!
T: Spanish (es) ¡No, no, así no! ¡Si quieres ganar las municipales, tienes que aprenderte vocabulario! ¡Y ello :?: es lo que tiene que sufrir una para ganarse la vida!
No, no, not like that! If you want to win the district (elections), you have to learn vocabulary! And that's what a girl has to go through to make a living!

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Transcriptions and/or translations in multiple languages

Postby eskandar » 2019-02-05, 23:06

vijayjohn wrote:T: No te vas a arrepentir, soy una profesional en la lengua. Eso sí, yo paso de cosaradas. ¿Nada de vizcaíno ni de ??? para leer? :?:

I think she says "yo paso de cosas raras" and then "nada de vizcaíno ni de euskera de ???" (probably the name of another region).

I think it means "to get ourselves in the mood". See here.

Or "I see you like to party, huh?"
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2019-02-05, 23:47

vijayjohn wrote:S: No, no, e-euskera. Es que es todo eso que por cuando vine a vivir en Vitoria, lo llevo fatal. Al final ??? pagar para conseguir que alguien me hable en euskera. :?:
No, no, B-Basque [euskera is a regional term specific to Vitoria IIRC]. It's all like this, you see; as long as I've come to live in Vitoria, it's been going terribly for me. In the end ??? to pay to get someone to talk to me in Basque.

I think the middle sentence makes no sense at the beginning, as he piles mispronounced words meaninglessly because he's so nervous. "Es que esto de *seguí *pus cuando y vivir en Vitoria, lo llevo fatal."

I think the third sentence begins with "al final he...", but I can't make out the rest. It sounds like *visto vijar a parar [para conseguir...], but that makes no sense. It is likely "pagar" here, but it he pronounces it like "parar" to my ears.

T: No te vas a arrepentir, soy una profesional en la lengua. Eso sí, yo paso de cosaradas. ¿Nada de vizcaíno ni de ??? para leer? :?:
You won't regret it; I'm a pro at the language. The only thing is I'm very no-nonsense. No Biscayan [dialect] or ??? to read?

"Eso sí, yo paso de cosas raras. Nada de vizcaíno ni de euskera, ni para leer." 'I refuse [to do] weird stuff. No Biscayan, no Euskera, not even to read.' It's true she doesn't pronounce the -s of "cosas".

Friend: Perdón :?:, ¿os importa que me quede aquí? Es quee me gusta mirar.
'Scuse me :?:, y'all mind if I stay here? You seee, I'd like to watch.

Correct.
S: Mi amigo Germán. :?: Está en primer nível de euskaltegi, y necesita el ???.
My friend Germán. :?: He's in the first level of euskaltegi (Basque school), and he needs the ???.

Correct. 'It's my friend Germán.' I can't quite make out the final bit, it sounds like "necesita hacer vino", "necesita hacer ruido", "necesita hacer vídeo". I think the latter makes the most sense out of the three.

T: Por mí no hay problema, claro que será :?: un poquito más caro.
There's no problem for me; of course, it'll be a little bit more expensive.

"Saldrá", not "será". "Salir" can mean 'to result [adjective]': it'll result [it'll end up being] more expensive.

F: Vosotros haced lo vuestro :?:, ¿eh? Como si yo no estuviera. ;)
Y'all do yer thing, okay? As if I wasn't here.

Correct. He seems to pronounce the first sentence as "vosotro hacé lo vuestro, ¿eh?".

Ponerse a tono here ambiguously means 'get on the same mind wave' (to have a conversation where we understand each other, get on the "same" speed) and 'get horny, get in the mood'.

It's ambiguous between 'I see you like parties' and 'I see you like to "feel pain" / have sex'.

T: Muy bien. Pues, vamos a ponernos a tono. :?: Basque (eu) Kaixo. Zer moduz?
Very well, then let's get ourselves up to speed. :?: Basque (eu) Hi. How are you?

It doesn't sound like "a tono" to me, but I don't know what it could be. Sounds like *elto to me.

S: Ha sido genial...¿Sabes qué? Te voy a retirar. :?: ¡Voy a montarte un euskaltegi para ti sola!
It was awesome...You know what? I'm going to withdraw you. :?: I'm going to set up an euskaltegi just for you!

It's ambiguous between "retirar" 'have you withdraw [from today's lesson, from my house]' and "re tirar" 'have sex with you hard'.

T: Sería bonito, pero es mejor que lo dejemos aquí. En esta profesión a veces tengo que enfrentar ??? terribles que no sabrías entender.
That would be cute, but it's better for us to leave it here. In this job, sometimes, I have to face terrible ??? that you wouldn't be able to understand.

"enfrentarme a situaciones terribles"

T: Spanish (es) ¡No, no, así no! ¡Si quieres ganar las municipales, tienes que aprenderte vocabulario! ¡Y ello :?: es lo que tiene que sufrir una para ganarse la vida!
No, no, not like that! If you want to win the district (elections), you have to learn vocabulary! And that's what a girl has to go through to make a living!

"aprenderte el vocabulario" (include 'the'). "¡Dios!, lo que tiene que sufrir una..." 'God [the interjection], what a girl has to suffer / go through...'
Last edited by Bubulus on 2019-02-06, 1:05, edited 3 times in total.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2019-02-06, 0:19

Last edited by eskandar on 2023-05-13, 6:41, edited 1 time in total.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2019-02-06, 0:24

eskandar wrote:(Also, I wonder if this thread might be better off as separate threads for separate languages, and have this one be moved to the Spanish forum.)

I am in favour of this. Recordings in a whole variety of languages as a thread would only benefit the more hardcore polyglots among us (who are only like 2-3 people). Let's just have threads for transcribed media in the various forums.

Return to “General Language Forum”