[Sort of a log] All Things Communication (previously titled: the language called communication)

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

langmon
Re: [Sort of a log] The language called communication: reading between the lines, misunderstandings, patterns of behavio

Postby langmon » 2018-11-25, 20:22

Pattern of behavior: First Disagreeing, Then Listening

Woods wrote:Because they first disagree, then listen.

Source: viewtopic.php?p=1126074#p1126074

This simply is very strange. This is disagreeing to something one doesn't even know yet... As in "no matter what it is, but I oppose it". :roll:
this is a reboot

langmon

Re: [Sort of a log] The language called communication: reading between the lines, misunderstandings, patterns of behavio

Postby langmon » 2018-11-26, 9:39

Naava wrote:Ah, yes. I've heard this claim that Finns tolerate longer pauses in speech than some other nationalities but I don't know if it's true. [...] With a quick googling, I found this preliminary study. It looks promising, but I don't have time to read it through. I'll leave it here anyway in case it's useful (and so that I can come back to it later). :)

Source: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=832&start=2280#p1126070

This study is very in-depth and detailed.
But even its sole existence does say something.
Also, there are some interesting Bigger Picture Clues (page 9).

[that study, emphasis mine] wrote:In natural dialogue, many social, semantic, pragmatic, linguistic, and phonetic phenomena are intertwined. Studies on the different properties of dialogue speech generally deal with written transcripts and/or acoustic analyses of specific utterances in context. However, any live conversation is subject to constant change and adaptation. The long-term variations in the rhythm of the conversation are not easily illustrated in written transcripts, and they may not be visible in the acoustic analyses of only a few seconds of speech.

Naava wrote:Nevertheless, this is about speech aka spoken language. I don't think you can compare it to written language,

Or maybe it can partially be compared. People sometimes write like they speak :).

especially when we're talking about forums where members live in different time zones.

Far from pointless.
this is a reboot

langmon

Postby langmon » 2018-11-27, 5:53

Pattern of speech: Using Many Words Instead of One Sometimes, Even If This Would Be Unnecessary Verbosity in Other Situations
Ser wrote:Yeah, padrastro/madrastra/etc. have a negative connotation. The neutral or positive thing would be to refer to them by their name, and to introduce them with an event description such as "he's the one my mom married a couple years after my dad left us". Even calling them the likes of el esposo de mi madre "my mom's husband" or el hijo de mi esposa "my wife's son" has a bit of a negative connotation IMO.
Source: viewtopic.php?p=1126223#p1126223
this is a reboot

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2018-11-27, 22:13

SomehowGeekyPolyglot wrote:
Prowler wrote:I would totally squeeze the hands of some dudes I'm closer to. It'd be a joke and nothing else... but my hands are small and feeble. :x

Source: https://forum.unilang.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=49106#p1072434

Unique to you (and some others maybe)?
Or more of a generic Portuguese attitude?

I had completely forgotten about that post of mine and I am surprised to see it being quoted a year later.

I think that's just a common thing for many male friends to do to each other? Especially teenagers and young men? I thought this was a universal thing?

langmon

Postby langmon » 2018-11-27, 22:34

Prowler wrote:I had completely forgotten about that post of mine and I am surprised to see it being quoted a year later.

Well, I didn't really look at the date :). Surprised only, or is there more to it? If so, I don't have the slightest issue removing the quote...

I think that's just a common thing for many male friends to do to each other? Especially teenagers and young men? I thought this was a universal thing?

As for me, I don't really know, that's why I asked about it in the first place ;).
this is a reboot

langmon

Re: [Sort of a log] All Things Communication (previously titled: the language called communication)

Postby langmon » 2018-12-08, 17:07

A very direct question about a) showing language enthusiasm and b) opening up oneself very much

Now it could be the right time for another Very Direct SGP Question. Because I am, arguably, among this forum's "Sometimes Very Talkative Language Enthusiastic Geekoids" :D. Or maybe the only one? But that doesn't matter too much right now anyway.

I would like to ask it for three reasons:

- To know how something particular looks like in the eyes of you (i.e. any person replying), because we, of course, don't have the very same thoughts about everything.

- To be able to also consider your input for any future posts.

- And for the purpose of ourselves contributing something that could also be of help to some of the silent readers. Some of them maybe wouldn't ask a similar question themselves, while being interested in the answers.

So my very direct two-part question is:

- How do you perceive my sometimes rather big enthusiasm when speaking about languages? No matter if you don't have any issue with it, consider it annoying even, or its presence/absence doesn't make any difference to you, you are among those who could answer ;).

- What about my attitude of tending to open up myself very much, even if there are many of you whom I don't really know that well / that well yet (it depends of course)?

Unlike a previous question of a similar type some time ago, today I am not asking because I consider this enthusiasm / opening up oneself something that I should change. But I am still very interested in knowing how both of it (or just one) looks in your eyes, because it is about ... All Things Communication ... after all ;). And I am among those who sometimes adapt to something because of some specific reasons, even if they wouldn't adapt to it otherwise. This of course isn't about bending myself or anything, but about aiming to make some more steps towards optimizing communication and human interaction.
this is a reboot

langmon

Re: [Sort of a log] All Things Communication (previously titled: the language called communication)

Postby langmon » 2018-12-23, 18:58

This log has retired.

- It already did fulfill its purpose, and much more than that, too.

- If anyone would have anything to add to the already existing posts, I do intend to reply, too, whenever possible.

- All Things Communication doesn't equal Angewandte Kommunikation. That (German) log didn't retire at all. It is about applied communication, rather than the ATC theory and practice mix ;).

- In the end, I am very, very grateful for what happened after starting the ATC log. Gradually, More Advanced Communication Immersion and Exposure became a part of my personality that I couldn't remove that easily any more, even if I wanted to. The same does apply for using what I had been learning. It happens in a semi-automatic or even automatic intuitive way now. I wish that learning Spanish was that easy.
this is a reboot

Return to “General Language Forum”