Random language thread 6

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

linguoboy

Re: Random language thread 6

Postby linguoboy » 2019-01-09, 22:19

For my nom de Goodreads, I decided to go with "Un moine vexé" and it decided that "Un" was my given name and "Moine" my surname and dropped the "vexé" entirely.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2019-01-10, 15:44

Saim wrote:I just read a bit of the Arabic Wikipedia on things relating to India and they're really starting to irritate me. :evil:

"Hinduism (in Hindi: varnashrama)" [why Hindi? and the translation isn't even correct]
"Hindi is the official language of India" [no it's not]
"Indian subcontinent (in Hindi: भारतीय उपमहाद्वीप, in Urdu:برصغیر)" [why specifically Hindi and Urdu?]

It doesn't help that the words for Hindi and Indian are the same in Arabic (because the Arabic word for India is Hind and is a productive adjectival suffix).
As a foreigner, the only Indian languages I tend to ever hear about are Hindi, Punjabi and Tamil. An encyclopedia should know better, but I can see why an amateur would mistakenly think Hindi is THE Indian language. Also, Arabic Wikipedia is terrible.

Ser
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Ser » 2019-01-10, 21:04

I once heard a Taiwanese person tell me she was very surprised to learn there were various languages in India other than Hindi, and that the Indian language commonly seen in signs here in Vancouver is actually Punjabi. I don't remember having this misconception myself before I learned India has all these languages, in my late teen years, but because I had no idea what was spoken in India at all...
Last edited by Ser on 2019-01-11, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-01-10, 21:05

Panjabi is like the Cantonese of India.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2019-01-11, 0:22

Mandarin and Cantonese, the only two genders.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-01-11, 18:31

Ooh, I just learned that Irish réal (which is derived from Spanish real and refers to various historical coins) can be alternatively declined as a 5th declension velar, i.e. genitive singular réalach.

I assume the model here is riail (g.s. rialach), but that might not be the only one.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2019-01-12, 16:02

Politika.rs wrote:RNIDS ističe da je činjenica da svaki narod teži da na Internetu koristi svoje nacionalno pismo, i to ne samo u okviru sadržaja, već i u okviru naziva domena.

"The RNIDS [Serbian National Internet Domain Registry] points to the fact that every people strives to use its national writing system, and not only with regards to content, but also domain names."

Pa ne znam da li je to zaista činjenica.
Dunno if that's really a fact. :lol:

Vlürch

Postby Vlürch » 2019-01-13, 17:42

Does anyone know when and why the metathesis in the Turkish word for butterfly, kelebek, happened? It has to be fairly recent since it's still kebelek in Turkmen. Also, it's unexpectedly kəpənək in Azeri; I know /l/ to /n/ is a common shift, but I don't think it happened in Azeri except in this word, and the reversion of the voicing in the bilabial stop...? :?

Return to “General Language Forum”