Reasons NOT to learn a language

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Reasons NOT to learn a language

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-05-07, 17:52

mōdgethanc wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:First heard this at my brother's engagement party (because my sister-in-law is North Indian and forcing people to dance to Bollywood songs is kind of a thing in modern North Indian culture). It's weird how some parts of the lyrics are subtitled and others aren't. :?
That intro sounds like 90s R&B. Wtf is this.

Welcome to the very strange world of Indian pop music.
Oh, I thought it was because of the lighting or something. :lol:
Nah, she's brown and woke about it, trust me.

I know. That's why it was awkward. :P

Actually, speaking of both South Asians looking white and Indian pop music, one thing that weirded me out when I first saw it was this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ-ks7ZRSFA
Because I'd never seen a fair-skinned Indian with red hair before. First saw this when I was twelve or something on Indian MTV in Ernakulam (in Kerala) at my aunt and uncle's house. The lyrics are kinda corny but they do at least make a pun on the use of baat in Hindi and don't have any English, thank God. Also, poor pizza delivery guy

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2018-05-07, 19:08

Does Indian music besides Bollywood exist?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-05-07, 19:11

OldBoring wrote:Does Indian music besides Bollywood exist?

Of course. Like that song I just posted.

Vlürch

Postby Vlürch » 2018-05-11, 16:11

TheStrayCat wrote:I was tempted to make a suggestion for the "Did you know" section on Wikipedia's main page, something like "Anal and Anus languages both exist but are not related".

I could've sworn the article for Anus used to say "not to be confused with Anal language" and that the one for Anal said "not to be confused with Anus language", but I just went over their histories and couldn't find a version of either article with that note at the top. :?

Anyway, more on topic: you literally have no reason to learn any language because you'll forget everything anyway...

...but trying to learn languages is so much fun.

TheStrayCat
Language Forum Moderator

Postby TheStrayCat » 2018-05-11, 16:20

Vlürch wrote:I could've sworn the article for Anus used to say "not to be confused with Anal language" and that the one for Anal said "not to be confused with Anus language", but I just went over their histories and couldn't find a version of either article with that note at the top.

It was there for five years until an editor removed it in 2013. There's that useful "Revision history search" button on the history page which allows you to find out who added or removed any given part of text using binary search.

Return to “General Language Forum”