Finding a language exchange partner

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator
Finding a language exchange partner

Postby aaakknu » 2018-04-21, 17:42

I would like very much to have a language exchange partner (in real life, not online). Sometimes I see foreigners in my city, but I wonder whether it would be appropriate to just come and ask them if they're interested. Would it be rude? Have anybody of you tried doing it?
I'm quite shy and I'm afraid of talking to people I don't know well.
Is there any other way to find a language exchange partner that lives in my city?
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

Luís
Forum Administrator

Re: Finding a language exchange partner

Postby Luís » 2018-04-21, 18:54

What I usually do is go to a regular language exchange site (http://www.mylanguageexchange.com, http://www.conversationexchange.com, http://www.italki.com, etc.) and search for people who are learning Portuguese and living in Lisbon (or in Portugal). By doing this I already know they're living here (so we can meet) and that they're learning my native language.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

TheStrayCat
Language Forum Moderator

Postby TheStrayCat » 2018-04-21, 19:09

Salajane wrote:I would like very much to have a language exchange partner (in real life, not online). Sometimes I see foreigners in my city, but I wonder whether it would be appropriate to just come and ask them if they're interested. Would it be rude? Have anybody of you tried doing it?
I'm quite shy and I'm afraid of talking to people I don't know well.
Is there any other way to find a language exchange partner that lives in my city?

Are you primarily interested in meeting native speakers of English or other languages? It looks like Lviv has at least several speaking clubs where I imagine you have a good chance of getting to know some native speakers.

I also know someone who was a Christian intern at my university in the US and moved to Lviv a few months ago. I haven't talked to her in a long time, but if you are interested I can try to find out what kind of activity she's involved in.

SM11

Postby SM11 » 2018-09-07, 6:17

Salajane wrote:Is there any other way to find a language exchange partner that lives in my city?

I guess it depends where you live, but usually if you live in a big or even medium city, you should be able to find a language partner in the language you're learning (if it's not a rare language).

I don't know if it exists in your city, but in Paris, something I really enjoyed was going to a multilingual café. It's called Polyglot Club and you can basically register in their website before a meeting that the café organizes in the evening with people speaking all kinds of languages. You can make good friends and practice with them, then keep in touch with them...

I'm sure you must have these kind of events somewhere where you live, but you can try to look for it on internet. Of course it's not easy at the beginning, you need to step out a bit of your comfort zone, but come on, if you really want to learn the language, you gotta speak it right? So go for it. If you hesitate too much, you'll end up never doing it. You have to make the first step with all your courage, and afterwards things will become much easier and natural. Good luck with that!
articles about French and language learning on my blog (https://blogfrench.com/blog/)

Lur

Postby Lur » 2018-09-09, 10:12

I've been thinking on doing this, but I don't know what language.
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

Return to “General Language Forum”