Wanderlust support group 5

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Car
Forum Administrator

Re: Wanderlust support group 5

Postby Car » 2020-11-05, 15:29

Thanks again!
Please correct my mistakes!

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2020-11-10, 18:49

I've been spending way too much time "dabbling" in Swedish. There are much more important languages I should be concentrating on. Self-control!
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Allekanger

Postby Allekanger » 2020-11-10, 20:37

Yasna wrote:Swedish. There are much more important languages

:shock: :shock: *super offended*

I want Spanish. I wanna be fluent in using the past forms of verbs. Also Russian, any verb forms.
Spruttjna e dom förút å värre bir dom.

- svenska (nolupplänska), English, español, русский.

Iván
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Iván » 2020-11-14, 11:28

Italian, learning it since July.
Minkä nuorena oppii, sen vanhana taitaa.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2020-11-14, 13:49

Georgian, I don't have any idea why.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-11-23, 2:21

eskandar wrote:Yeah Persian grammar is fairly similar to that of Romance languages

Do you think it's more similar to Romance languages than to other European languages, such as English? :hmm:
Allekanger wrote:
Yasna wrote:Swedish. There are much more important languages

:shock: :shock: *super offended*

I want Spanish. I wanna be fluent in using the past forms of verbs. Also Russian, any verb forms.

I like how you were super offended and then said you were wanderlusting for two languages that have far more speakers. :lol:

Allekanger

Postby Allekanger » 2020-11-23, 17:59

vijayjohn wrote:I like how you were super offended and then said you were wanderlusting for two languages that have far more speakers. :lol:

Haha, yay, I'm glad I managed to convey the irony in that! :D

Wasn't actually offended though, was just playing :mrgreen: In fact, I kinda agree ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Spruttjna e dom förút å värre bir dom.

- svenska (nolupplänska), English, español, русский.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2020-11-23, 20:35

vijayjohn wrote:
eskandar wrote:Yeah Persian grammar is fairly similar to that of Romance languages

Do you think it's more similar to Romance languages than to other European languages, such as English? :hmm:

I think Persian is more similar to Romance languages than to English in its verbal morphology (is that the right term?) and to some degree phonology (limited vowel inventory, mostly monophthongs, when compared with English). One area where Persian is more similar to English than to Romance would be the lack of grammatical gender. What do you think?
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-11-24, 1:34

Allekanger wrote:Wasn't actually offended though, was just playing :mrgreen:¯

I figured as much, but I enjoyed the joke. :mrgreen:
eskandar wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:

I think Persian is more similar to Romance languages than to English in its verbal morphology (is that the right term?) and to some degree phonology (limited vowel inventory, mostly monophthongs, when compared with English). One area where Persian is more similar to English than to Romance would be the lack of grammatical gender. What do you think?

I think Persian is a pretty generic Indo-European language and English is just bizarre in some ways. :lol: The similarity with other Indo-European languages (combined with the high volume of resources for learning an awful lot of those languages) is a big part of the reason why it's so much easier for me to pick up Persian than it is to pick up Arabic. It's also why I wouldn't have thought to compare it to any particular (Western European :P) branch of Indo-European, though.

(But of course, knowing Turkish and Urdu doesn't hurt. :whistle: Knowing Arabic and even Swahili has also proved useful for the purpose of learning Persian at times).
Last edited by vijayjohn on 2020-11-24, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-11-24, 17:52

eskandar wrote:I think Persian is more similar to Romance languages than to English in its verbal morphology (is that the right term?)

I would say in its inflectional verbal morphology. Derivationally, I find it way more similar to English with the heavily reliance on phrasal verbs where Romance languages overwhelmingly prefer prefixing and suffixing. (This, in turn, leads to parallels in the syntax as well.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Return to “General Language Forum”