Wanderlust support group 5

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

mōdgethanc

Re: Wanderlust support group 5

Postby mōdgethanc » 2019-01-10, 15:33

Reading news about Russia would be the best way to discourage any wanderlust for Russian.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2019-01-10, 16:30

mōdgethanc wrote:Reading news about Russia would be the best way to discourage any wanderlust for Russian.

In my experience even when it's terrible news coming out of a given country I get more interested in the languages spoken there. :oops:

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-10, 16:44

Saim wrote:In my experience even when it's terrible news coming out of a given country I get more interested in the languages spoken there. :oops:

I'm kinda the same. :P

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2019-01-12, 14:58

Not only Unilang. The current trend is that forums in general are fading away. All forums on the internet seem abandoned, so Unilang is still quite active compared to many. I think there are mainly two reasons. Social media. More and more people browse social media and social networking sites instead of forums and decentralized websites/forums/communities. In fact, the Polyglots Facebook groups are very active.
And smartphones. It's difficult to use forums with a smartphones. So people prefer Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2019-01-12, 16:04

OldBoring wrote:In fact, the Polyglots Facebook groups are very active.

Which is annoying because they all seem to be pretty chaotic, full of unserious people posting the same shitty memes about how German is weird again and again.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2019-01-12, 18:14

IME most self-proclaimed polyglots are chaotic and unserious, and more interested in calling themselves polyglots than learning anything.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2019-01-17, 14:18

OldBoring wrote:Not only Unilang. The current trend is that forums in general are fading away. All forums on the internet seem abandoned, so Unilang is still quite active compared to many. I think there are mainly two reasons. Social media. More and more people browse social media and social networking sites instead of forums and decentralized websites/forums/communities. In fact, the Polyglots Facebook groups are very active.
And smartphones. It's difficult to use forums with a smartphones. So people prefer Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.

Forums are still popular with spammers, apparently (I had to ban half a dozen just this morning... :? )
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-01-17, 15:23

I'm mildly surprised we still get so many, especially when this means going through the trouble of creating an account and all.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Return to “General Language Forum”