Wanderlust support group 5

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Lur
Re: Wanderlust support group 5

Postby Lur » 2021-10-22, 16:46

More Irish.

I feel confused. I don't know where to live, what to study and why, my motivations come and go really fast, and so everything I like feels at the same time like a superfluous wanderlust, and in the end I don't commit.
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-10-23, 1:37

Lur wrote:I feel confused. I don't know where to live, what to study and why, my motivations come and go really fast, and so everything I like feels at the same time like a superfluous wanderlust, and in the end I don't commit.

Fear? I've struggled with that a little, where I would want to start things but be afraid to, and then the motivation would come and go and I was left feeling disillusioned at myself.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Lur

Postby Lur » 2021-10-23, 12:07

dEhiN wrote:
Lur wrote:I feel confused. I don't know where to live, what to study and why, my motivations come and go really fast, and so everything I like feels at the same time like a superfluous wanderlust, and in the end I don't commit.

Fear? I've struggled with that a little, where I would want to start things but be afraid to, and then the motivation would come and go and I was left feeling disillusioned at myself.

This and maybe other stuff, like my life is stuck. It's not just languages, it's with everything. :para:
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-23, 17:20

I may be remembering wrong, but hasn't it been like that for at least a few years by now? Are you employed?

Meera

Postby Meera » 2021-10-27, 15:32

I was feeling really burnt out with Arabic but after watching Dune, I feel like studying it again. So many Arabic words (pronounced badly) but still.
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-27, 15:36

I saw someone describe it (jokingly?) as a movie with an Arabic-based conlang but authentic Mandarin Chinese, but they speak neither.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2021-10-27, 16:19

vijayjohn wrote:I saw someone describe it (jokingly?) as a movie with an Arabic-based conlang but authentic Mandarin Chinese, but they speak neither.

Yeah, it pretty much is. They have Chinese in it and an Arabic conlang but I think it sounds pretty cool. They also have a Mongolian throat singing-inspired scene which I thought was AWESOME. The Arabic-inspired words make up the lore of the world it is set in and are pretty cool. The same Persian/Turkish inspired words too. Some examples:

Gom Jabbar
Mahdi
Jihad (in the book, they cut it from the movie haha)
Muad'dib
lisan al-ghaib
padishah

I was a bit surprised they added Chinese in there, I didn't expect that.
अहिंसा/เจ

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-11-03, 19:40

I hoped to find YouTube videos with clips of people talking in it in Chinese, but alas, I failed. :P

Meera

Postby Meera » 2021-11-11, 19:14

Wanderlusting for Indonesian/Malay. It seems to be one that constantly pops up.
अहिंसा/เจ

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-11-12, 18:04

That language feels like it's supposed to be a lot easier than it really is.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2021-11-13, 16:09

vijayjohn wrote:That language feels like it's supposed to be a lot easier than it really is.

Yeah exactly.

And now I'm wanderlusting for Bangla :(
अहिंसा/เจ

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-11-24, 20:48

What made you wanderlust for Bangla?

Meera

Postby Meera » 2021-12-01, 17:54

vijayjohn wrote:What made you wanderlust for Bangla?

Watching some Bengali movies.
अहिंसा/เจ

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-01-13, 23:31

Meera wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:What made you wanderlust for Bangla?

Watching some Bengali movies.

Which ones? Any by Satyajit Ray? :P

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2022-01-21, 20:22

Meera wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:That language feels like it's supposed to be a lot easier than it really is.

Yeah exactly.

For those of you who've studied it - what ends up being difficult about Indonesian/Malay? Idioms? Syntax?
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-01-26, 16:23

eskandar wrote:
Meera wrote:

Yeah exactly.

For those of you who've studied it - what ends up being difficult about Indonesian/Malay? Idioms? Syntax?

Honestly, I think the hardest thing for me has probably just been that I haven't been using enough resources to study it! :?: I don't seem to understand just how complex the syntax is even when it's explained to me. I'm too used to phrasebooks that just shrug at all the syntax and are like "meh, 'yesterday white-woman buy two classifier book'. There, you Now Know Indonesian Syntax! :partyhat: "

Minuit

Postby Minuit » 2022-02-28, 17:53

Last week I broke my fibula and even have torn ligaments so Im not gonna work for at least two months. Im wondering what language should I focus on while Im bedridden. I cant decide between Croatian, Catalan, French and Esperanto, but at the same time Im really drawn towards Nuxalk for some reason. However that one is something I dont even dare to dabble in. :shock:

Osias

Postby Osias » 2022-02-28, 18:09

Russian and Ukranian.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2022-02-28, 18:48

Minuit wrote:Last week I broke my fibula and even have torn ligaments so Im not gonna work for at least two months. Im wondering what language should I focus on while Im bedridden. I cant decide between Croatian, Catalan, French and Esperanto, but at the same time Im really drawn towards Nuxalk for some reason. However that one is something I dont even dare to dabble in. :shock:

Dabble! You'll learn some very interesting things about linguistics and breadth of human invention.

I'm of course very partial to Catalan, but I also have a soft spot for Croatian (lots of Croatians in Chicago) and North American varieties of French. Speaking of which, Duolingo's Haitian Creole course is finally available in beta and I'm finding it fascinating to see both the similarities and differences between it and nearby non-Creole varieties such as Cajun French.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Minuit

Postby Minuit » 2022-02-28, 21:12

linguoboy wrote:
Minuit wrote:Last week I broke my fibula and even have torn ligaments so Im not gonna work for at least two months. Im wondering what language should I focus on while Im bedridden. I cant decide between Croatian, Catalan, French and Esperanto, but at the same time Im really drawn towards Nuxalk for some reason. However that one is something I dont even dare to dabble in. :shock:

Dabble! You'll learn some very interesting things about linguistics and breadth of human invention.

I'm of course very partial to Catalan, but I also have a soft spot for Croatian (lots of Croatians in Chicago) and North American varieties of French. Speaking of which, Duolingo's Haitian Creole course is finally available in beta and I'm finding it fascinating to see both the similarities and differences between it and nearby non-Creole varieties such as Cajun French.

Well. One of the reasons I left this forum some time ago (Midnight, El tigre chino, Hent) was that I never really made any progress with any of my languages. There was always something interesting happening here and people enthusiastically chatted about languages. I mean dont get me wrong I didnt get far by myself. I kind of lost motivation over time. But yeah its nice to see you again and Vijay and Dehin, Osias, YoungFun and all the other people who make this place what it is.

Regarding Duolingo. I dont think Ive tried it really, but to me it looked like a "free" version of Rosetta Stone which I found flashy but very slow. I dont want to learn phrases like "the boy is under the plane" :)

Return to “General Language Forum”