Wanderlust support group 5

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Koko
Re: Wanderlust support group 5

Postby Koko » 2018-03-20, 0:34

vijayjohn wrote:No [bɛləˈɹʉwʒn̩]?

I have [ˌbɛɫəˈɹʉu̯ʃn̩]. (the exact quality of the nucleus of "-russian" may be off)

On another note, i am wanderlusting (Western) Armenian.

n8an

Postby n8an » 2018-03-20, 0:48

Koko wrote:On another note, i am wanderlusting (Western) Armenian.

Went down that path for a while last year, got extremely frustrated by lack of resources and laziness of my Armenian friends in helping me learn it, gave up :(

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-21, 1:17

n8an wrote:Went down that path for a while last year, got extremely frustrated by lack of resources

gave up :(

That's pretty much what happened to me many years ago, too, except with Eastern Armenian. I think that was a few years before I joined UniLang. I'm not giving up forever, though!

Saim

Postby Saim » 2018-03-21, 10:49

Whenever I go on Euronews and open the language list toggle I end up wanderlusting for Greek.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-03-21, 12:59

Found another German-speaking bear to induct into our cabalStammtisch. Muah ha ha!

I really wish my book on Freiburger Stadtmundart would get here already.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-23, 4:43

Saim wrote:Whenever I go on Euronews and open the language list toggle I end up wanderlusting for Greek.

Huh, I've never even looked at Euronews before, but I've always wanted to try keeping up with the news in as many languages as possible. When I was a teenager, I used to listen to BBC broadcasts online in all kinds of languages and try to see which one I'd have the most trouble understanding (it wasn't that hard to understand when they were talking about international news). I also memorized the beginning of each broadcast in Sinhalese at the time without having almost any idea what anything meant, which I recall sounding like:

[ˈmeʈʰən ˈpəʈʰən guˈwəɳ ˈgəɳ he], [bi bi si ˈlokəseʋəjə kʰɛˈʈʰit̪əɾən gə ˈmiːt̪əɾə ˈt̪ɪssəku ˈsəhaː], [ˈhəbəlɪs nəbeˈjoː se]. [ˈləɳɖən ˈd̪uːɾəsɛkə ˈʋɪsɾu aːhəɾiːˈnə], [ˈsən̪d̪eʃəjə]. [ən̪ˈt̪əɾd͡ʒaːli ˈɖəbɪlju ˈɖəbɪlju ˈɖəbɪlju ˈɖɔʈ̚], [bi bi si ˈɖɔʈ̚], [ˈko ɖɔʈ̚], [ju ke ˈslæʃ], [ˈsɪnhələ]. [ʔəˈʋeː pəˈʈʰa ˈgijə ˈmaːgɪnnə], [d̪əˈʋəse ˈʔoːnɐːmə ˈʋeːlaːʋəkə], [ˈsən̪d̪eːʃ ˈneːʈʰa ˈkʰəɳɖəneːʈʰa ˈpuluʋaːn]!

(Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! Beeeeeeeeeeeeeep! *string instrument music starts playing, fades into background while joined by flute music and a woman's voice making the remaining formulaic introductory remarks. First two sentences appear to end in what sounds like [ʋɪˈnaːɖi ˈpahəlɨʋaːji]*).

All I understand of this is that [bi bi si ˈlokəseʋəjə kʰɛˈʈʰit̪əɾən gə ˈmiːt̪əɾə ˈt̪ɪssəku ˈsəhaː] is probably something like 'the ______ _______ service of the BBC International Corporation'(?), [ˈləɳɖən ˈd̪uːɾəsɛkə] has something to do with 'London' and 'far/distant' (maybe 'outside London' or 'broadcasting from London'?), [ˈsən̪d̪eʃəjə] is the nickname for BBC Sinhala, and [ən̪ˈt̪əɾd͡ʒaːli] probably means something like 'address' or 'URL'. [ˈʋeːlaːʋəkə] sounds like it has something to do with either 'time' or 'work', [ˈkʰəɳɖəneːʈʰa] could I guess have something to do with a 'part' of something, and [ˈsən̪d̪eːʃ] sounds like it might mean 'message' - maybe 'news'?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-27, 21:24

For some odd reason, I have the Estonian bug again.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-28, 0:06

Gee, I wonder why! It's not like people have been mentioning Estonian on this forum recently! :P

[end sarcasm]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-28, 0:11

No way! Where has that been hiding! I didn't think anyone liked Uralic languages around here! :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-28, 2:49

In all honesty, though, I didn't know you were into Estonian. :whistle:

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-03-28, 3:44

księżycowy wrote:No way! Where has that been hiding! I didn't think anyone liked Uralic languages around here! :P

Don't let Linguaphile hear this, lest she come out of the sudden and try to correct you. :lol:
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-28, 13:21

vijayjohn wrote:In all honesty, though, I didn't know you were into Estonian. :whistle:

Yeah, I've been into Estonian for a while. Only reason it tends to take a back seat is because of other priorities.

I've actually gotten interested in some of the other languages in the Uralic forum too, now that there's some buzz around them.

atalarikt wrote:Don't let Linguaphile hear this, lest she come out of the sudden and try to correct you. :lol:

Shhhhhh! :para:

善子はかわいいです。 :blush:

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-03-28, 14:00

księżycowy wrote:
atalarikt wrote:Don't let Linguaphile hear this, lest she come out of the sudden and try to correct you. :lol:

善子 じゃなくて、ヨハネ!
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-28, 14:23

悪い、悪い! :lol:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-28, 23:50

I'd say "come out of nowhere" rather than "come out of the sudden."

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-29, 0:10

Ditto. Sorry, meant to say something earlier.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-03-29, 2:27

atalarikt wrote:
księżycowy wrote:

善子 じゃなくて、ヨハネ!

Come on guys, is that supposed to be about me? If so, that's not nice. I'm not into anime so I don't fully get the allusion, but I'm thinking maybe that was the point - that I wouldn't get it. (Google search tells me who Yoshiko/Yohane is, but I'm not going to dig deeper to try to figure out why you said it.) As for coming out all of a sudden, I posted in this thread a few days ago, so I get the notifications of new posts just the same as you.

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-03-29, 3:03

Linguaphile wrote:
atalarikt wrote:
księżycowy wrote:

善子 じゃなくて、ヨハネ!

Come on guys, is that supposed to be about me? If so, that's not nice. I'm not into anime so I don't fully get the allusion, but I'm thinking maybe that was the point - that I wouldn't get it. (Google search tells me who Yoshiko/Yohane is, but I'm not going to dig deeper to try to figure out why you said it.) As for coming out all of a sudden, I posted in this thread a few days ago, so I get the notifications of new posts just the same as you.

It's a common joke in Love Live! Sunshine!! (yes, that's how the series title is written). There's a character named Yoshiko who is rather a chūnibyō and likes to call herself (as well as prefers to be called) Yohane. She often gets upset whenever people call her real name, hence my reply in Japanese.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-29, 9:08

It was just a comment related to Atalarikt's avatar and then an inside joke.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-29, 12:53

Thought so :P

Return to “General Language Forum”