Wanderlust support group 5

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

księżycowy
Re: Wanderlust support group 5

Postby księżycowy » 2018-08-12, 21:41

The main resource I have is the Kurdish Basic Course. I have no idea if that course easily still be found though.

Lur

Postby Lur » 2018-08-18, 12:13

Welsh and Chinese!
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-08-18, 12:17

Everything again.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-08-21, 16:40

Swedish. My wanderlust for Persian has been largely sated at the moment with just practicing the script, but with doing the Duolingo Indonesian course, I am watching my level in that course surpass my level in other courses I started years ago but stopped, like Russian, Italian and Swedish. And it is triggering me to nag myself about why I stopped studying those languages.

Russian? It's hard and takes up too much time. So, sorry, Russian. Maybe next decade.

Italian? I seem to have a hard cap on how many Romance languages I can study at one time, and right now that's French and Spanish. So, sorry, Italian. Maybe next year.

But Swedish? Well, it's easy, it's fun, and I'm not studying any other Germanic languages, so...sigh.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-08-21, 16:45

I don’t want to be “killjoy” or whatever, but Swedish is not so easy. It’s tricky when written, and very difficult to understand, in my opinion :roll:

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-08-21, 17:02

Perhaps because I studied so much German in my younger life and once spoke near-fluent German that I find Swedish comparatively easy. I mean, every language has its point of difficulties for learners, of course, and my attempts at tones in Swedish is pretty...um...entertaining. But I worked through all of TY Swedish when I was in college and never felt the kinds of distress or angst most other languages cause me. Swedish just makes sense to me, personally. The only real difficulty I have with it is retention of vocabulary, especially now that I'm older.

Of course, how easy one individual perceives a language is very subjective and relative to their own prior language learning and experience. I personally find Spanish to be a fairly difficult language, but I live where there are a lot of L2 Spanish speakers who say all the time how easy it was for them to learn. I had have Korean speakers tell me Japanese is super easy for them but for me, just trying to write "Mr,. Suzuki is wonderful" is a struggle still. Likewise, I find Gaelic to be a pretty easy language, but other Gaelic learners have told me they've tried for years and years and can't get past A1-A2 level with it. So yeah, I don't doubt some people would find Swedish a bit more challenging than perhaps I do.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-08-21, 17:13

I'm a reasonably fluent speaker of German and my listening comprehension of Swedish is crap but it's crap for most of my languages. I gained a reading knowledge of it in a couple of weeks, however.

I'm trying to do some Persian and Hindi again, but I struggle with any alphabet that isn't Latin, Cyrillic, Greek, or Han'geul. (I would also like to find more resources for Hindi that aren't Shuddha Hindi, but that's a separate issue.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Lur

Postby Lur » 2018-08-24, 0:09

ceid donn wrote:Of course, how easy one individual perceives a language is very subjective and relative to their own prior language learning and experience. I personally find Spanish to be a fairly difficult language, but I live where there are a lot of L2 Spanish speakers who say all the time how easy it was for them to learn. I had have Korean speakers tell me Japanese is super easy for them but for me, just trying to write "Mr,. Suzuki is wonderful" is a struggle still. Likewise, I find Gaelic to be a pretty easy language, but other Gaelic learners have told me they've tried for years and years and can't get past A1-A2 level with it. So yeah, I don't doubt some people would find Swedish a bit more challenging than perhaps I do.

To me this often has to do with motivation and whether I find a difficult element to be a bug or a feature.

Maybe there are languages that'd be easier than others for me personally but beyond Romance languages I can't really tell which ones.

Michael

Postby Michael » 2018-08-24, 0:12

Arabic and Polish.
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-08-25, 21:57

2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Lur

Postby Lur » 2018-08-29, 12:04

Yue and Aragonese and

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2018-08-29, 12:35

Basque, because it is so exotic.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-08-29, 13:14

Hebrew

n8an

Postby n8an » 2018-08-29, 13:29

Antea wrote:Hebrew

Do it :D

Lur

Postby Lur » 2018-08-29, 13:39

Massimiliano B wrote:Basque, because it is so exotic.

...exotic?

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2018-08-29, 14:52

Lur wrote:
Massimiliano B wrote:Basque, because it is so exotic.

...exotic?

Yes. Its grammar and vocabulary are exotic (= different from other languages surrounding it, and unusual), aren't they? Especially the vocabulary. Its grammar is less exotic compared to Japanese or Turkish, but still strange to me.

Lur

Postby Lur » 2018-08-29, 15:59

I actually don't see the similarities with Japanese (I guess it also has a potential mood?), although from what I read proto-Basque probably was a bit more similar to it (closed class of adjectives, fixed SOV order, negative suffix probably from the ken- root, etc)

I'll add to the wanderlust: Plains Sign Talk.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-08-29, 16:56

Lur wrote:I actually don't see the similarities with Japanese (I guess it also has a potential mood?), although from what I read proto-Basque probably was a bit more similar to it (closed class of adjectives, fixed SOV order, negative suffix probably from the ken- root, etc)

I don't think he was suggesting that it was similar to Japanese, just that both Basque and Japanese are very un-IE in their grammar, Japanese moreso than Basque.

If this cool grey weather continues, I'm going to be back into learning Welsh again.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Iván
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Iván » 2018-08-29, 17:15

I do feel like learning a new language, but which one? :lol:
Minkä nuorena oppii, sen vanhana taitaa.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-08-29, 17:34

Iván wrote:I do feel like learning a new language, but which one? :lol:

What's spoken near you?

Return to “General Language Forum”