Wanderlust support group 5

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

dEhiN
Wanderlust support group 5

Postby dEhiN » 2018-03-01, 5:44

Johanna wrote:Like the title says, if you've got a bad case of wanderlusting for a language or ten and therefore in need of support, this is the place :)

If you want to continue a conversation or give advice on something in the old thread, post a quote and/or a link to the relevant post from there here.

----------

Continuation of Wanderlust support group 4. The old thread can now be found in Forum Archives.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Koko

Re: Wanderlust support group 5

Postby Koko » 2018-03-01, 6:30

vijayjohn wrote:Pffft, that's just because you only like a Chinese language if it sounds like Japanese! :P

Way to call me out :whistle:

Saim

Postby Saim » 2018-03-01, 8:49

dEhiN wrote:Is that an Aussie thing? I was confused when I read it initially, but figured it was just a style of expression or sentence tag I hadn't come across before.

See meaning 2. :)

Here they're saying that it exists in Ireland, New Zealand and parts of Scotland, too.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-01, 10:03

n8an wrote:Okay okay. If I can justify spending some money to buy another (sigh) language book, I'll be messaging you every 3 minutes for help/assessment of my pronunciation :P

:doggy: :doggy: :doggy:

Vlürch

Postby Vlürch » 2018-03-01, 11:11

linguoboy wrote:My brother studied Russian and I knew I didn't really like the sound of it.

Same, although it can sound nice when spoken by cute girls people (often female) whose voices are pleasant to the ear. Their physical appearance does not influence my view on how the language sounds at least consciously, and in many cases at least when it comes to music I don't even know what the singer looks like but can still find Russian beautiful and/or cute. It's definitely not a beautiful language in my opinion either, but if it's spoken/sung by someone with a nice voice, it's not that bad. The crazier consonant clusters and "hard" affricates will always sound like shit no matter what, though...
księżycowy wrote:In other news, I've been pawing over my Chechen textbook

There was a film on TV a week or two ago called Vasha. It had little bits of Chechen in it, although I can't be sure if it was actually Chechen or just gibberish; according to Wiktionary, at least ваша does indeed mean "brother", so it could be that it was correct. The actor who played the main Chechen dude was actually Turkish, though, so even if the vocabulary and grammar were correct it could be that the pronunciation wasn't, but I really couldn't tell since I know next to nothing about Chechen. Whatever the case, what little was spoken in the film sounded cool. :P

I'm wanderlusting Mongolian again. Hopefully I can get at least a few words to stick this time...

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2018-03-01, 16:33

ภาษาไทย

/subscribe to the new thread

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-03-01, 16:36

Karavinka wrote:ภาษาไทย

Thai?
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-02, 1:27

Irusia wrote:
Karavinka wrote:ภาษาไทย

Thai?

Yes.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2018-03-02, 6:29

Mari, specifically Meadow Mari, but oof. The song Ит сыре from the last FSC awoke something in me.

Ciarán12

Postby Ciarán12 » 2018-03-02, 9:03

Saim wrote:I remember when I was in Wrocław at the Polish Summer School, there were no Ukrainians or Belarusians who had trouble communicating (of course they had problems regarding grammar and false friends and such, but they could get by without many issues) regardless of whether their dominant language was Russian or the 'titular' language, whereas there were times when I would ask Russians pretty basic questions and they had literally no idea what I was talking about (and I've repeated the experiment at other times with the same results, which is kind of what motivated me to focus on Russian over Ukrainian).

A bit late with my response, but this reminded me of a really interesting set of YouTube videos of a Polish guy interviewing speakers of other Slavic languages with him speaking in Polish and them Speaking their own languages, and none of them spoke Polish.
Unfortunately there are no subtitles (yet, at least) so I don't know what they're saying, bit even so it's interesting to see how much they understand and at the end the speak in English to discuss how well the conversation went.

https://youtu.be/379HFXyWytk

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-03-02, 17:44

Ciarán12 wrote:A bit late with my response, but this reminded me of a really interesting set of YouTube videos of a Polish guy interviewing speakers of other Slavic languages

Awesome videos! Apparently the Serbo-Russian conversation didn't go very well. They failed to understand almost everything on the first try; even such a simple sentence as for example
(sr) Moj otac ima kuću na selu (My father has a house in the countryside).

In Polish it would be (correct me Polish speakers if I am wrong)
(pl) Mój ojciec ma dom na wsi.

The guy couldn't see the connection between otac and ojciec, and the other two nouns are different, so the girl had trouble getting her thought across.

The Polish-Russian conversation was very smooth, almost as if they spoke the same language -- but apparently both of them studied a bit of each other's language.

The Polish-Bulgarian was somewhat stuttering, but still better than Serbian.

Polish-Belurusian...ughh I couldn't watch it :( The guy didn't speak Belarusian well.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-03, 5:37

Koko wrote:Mari, specifically Meadow Mari, but oof. The song Ит сыре from the last FSC awoke something in me.

The only song I can think of in Hill Mari is the one I posted once, I think years ago. :P

n8an

Postby n8an » 2018-03-03, 6:48

księżycowy wrote::doggy: :doggy: :doggy:

You signed up for it :yep: :silly:

In other news, I've been pawing over my Chechen textbook

Hardcore!

voron wrote:[The Polish-Russian conversation was very smooth, almost as if they spoke the same language -- but apparently both of them studied a bit of each other's language.

Exactly what I was thinking. I've seen Polish and Russian speakers trying to converse before and it definitely hasn't been this smooth.

Polish-Belurusian...ughh I couldn't watch it :( The guy didn't speak Belarusian well.

Really? What was so bad about it? Too Russianised?

How did this one look?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5eKKgTATSg&t=232s

I still feel like Ukrainian sounds so much more Russian than Polish.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-03, 9:54

n8an wrote:You signed up for it :yep: :silly:

That was more of a "pweese, do it."

Hardcore!

I suppose. :P

Koko

Postby Koko » 2018-03-03, 12:09

vijayjohn wrote:
Koko wrote:Mari, specifically Meadow Mari, but oof. The song Ит сыре from the last FSC awoke something in me.

The only song I can think of in Hill Mari is the one I posted once, I think years ago. :P

Evil man you. Feeding my wanderlust..... :doggy:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-06, 0:31

Koko wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:

Evil man you. Feeding my wanderlust..... :doggy:

But not for Meadow Mari. ;)

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-03-06, 0:48

n8an wrote:Really? What was so bad about it? Too Russianised?

He makes mistakes, for example:
*я разумею табе - should be: я разумею цябе (wrong case)
*мне падабаўся гэты фiльм - should be: мне спадабаўся гэты фiльм (wrong verb aspect)

and he is obviously searching for words. And no, it's not too Russianized; his vocabulary is actually good.

n8an

Postby n8an » 2018-03-06, 1:17

księżycowy wrote:That was more of a "pweese, do it."

Stay tuned! :P

voron wrote:He makes mistakes, for example:
*я разумею табе - should be: я разумею цябе (wrong case)
*мне падабаўся гэты фiльм - should be: мне спадабаўся гэты фiльм (wrong verb aspect)

and he is obviously searching for words. And no, it's not too Russianized; his vocabulary is actually good.

Oh, interesting. Thanks for explaining. Is his level of Belarusian competency higher than most Belarusians, though? Or is this level typical?

Side note: do you know if Victoria Azarenka, Max Mirnyi and the other tennis players can speak Belarusian? :D

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-06, 1:28

I'm honestly thinking of working on some Polish in about a month myself. :P

And probably some spoken Chinese. I'm trying to decide between Taiwanese (Hokkien) and Cantonese.

I'll need something to do after my degree is done and I have too much free time. :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-06, 3:36

n8an wrote:Stay tuned! :P

Wha..."stay tuned"?! But I need księżycowy for my show!!! I mean, it's even called "The Vijay and Księżycowy Show," complete with the ogonek and overdot! You can't steal my księżycowy from me I won't let you :hmpf:

:silly:

Return to “General Language Forum”