Wanderlust support group 5

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

dEhiN
Re: Wanderlust support group 5

Postby dEhiN » 2022-05-08, 20:48

Osias wrote:I don't recognize the songs as samba, but they remind me a lot of old songs from Brazilian Northeast. I don't know if the songs of this radio are new or old. Or retro. Or old today and retro in the day they were written. 😅

It's more natural to say "songs of this station". I think I remember this from when I was in Brazil - it seemed to me that when Brazilian Portuguese took a compound noun, the shortened form would be the first word, while in English, it's more the second one. For example, we would say "(shopping) mall" while in Brazil I heard "shopping". You saying "radio" while we would shorten to "station" makes me think maybe this is somewhat common?
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2022-05-08, 20:53

It's seems to be. :hmm:
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

n8an

Postby n8an » 2022-05-25, 14:22

I really want to properly concentrate on Hindi, Greek and either a Slavic language or Georgian.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2022-05-26, 8:14

Thai won't fuck off, will it? The script is just so nifty and the phonology slaps.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2022-10-08, 7:42

It's my Anki Polish sentence deck with TTS audio. I consider myself cured from Polish Wanderlust as it's got way worse than that.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2022-10-27, 17:27

Tibetan

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2022-11-18, 0:28

I deleted my Hungarian Anki deck which was closing into ~300. It was interesting while it lasted but I'm not adding another language deck when my daily reviews are in four digits already.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2022-11-21, 13:02

Karavinka wrote:my daily reviews are in four digits

Do you have time for language exposure outside of Anki? Or do you not complete your reviews?

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2022-11-21, 15:46

Saim wrote:
Karavinka wrote:my daily reviews are in four digits

Do you have time for language exposure outside of Anki? Or do you not complete your reviews?

I do complete them. I noticed I did 1406 reviews on the day I posted that message, and since then I set new cards to zero on multiple decks for a few days, kind of to keep it manageable. I sometimes do so to keep the review count reasonable, and when I have more time I review ahead for the next few days -- say, 1200 Polish cards due in the next 5 days is scary, if I use custom study, showing random cards from the next 5 days and do a few hundred and lower it down a notch to maybe 950, it becomes more reasonable in the next few days.

All my active learning is either mining sentences or reviewing them. Passive reading and listening and hoping to pick up a few things along the way -- in my very humble personal conclusion it's pointless, unless you're in an environment where you can maintain near-complete immersion (like you're going to school and forced to learn in that language, maybe.)

raoul2

Postby raoul2 » 2022-12-23, 17:26

I am starting learning Czech.

md0

Postby md0 » 2023-01-19, 23:14

To my own surprise, Dutch.

When I studied very little of it in NL, I was very put off mostly because it was the very start of the lockdowns era and no-one know how to teach remotely - and my Dutch teacher even less.

But two weeks ago my friends from Amsterdam visited, and one of them actually speaks the language two. We actually spoke a lot in German, but he did also throw some Dutch here and there, and I was pleased by how much I could passively understand. Same when I visited them last year. Every time I visit again, the more of the language becomes accessible to me.

So who knows, maybe in a few years I'll actively pick it up again.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2023-01-30, 11:04

Biblical Hebrew came back with a vengeance. I keep trying to tell myself "learning a liturgical language with a pronunciation that would sound archaic at best and laughable at worst to native speakers, when almost everything written in it is a) translated already and b) religious texts from a faith you don't even belong to is absolutely nuts" but then also, it's always been one of my favourite languages. But it also breaks my "no dead languages" rule.

(Before someone says it, I know that Hebrew's not dead, but I have no interest in Israeli Hebrew.)
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2023-03-11, 2:14

stop.png

I need to stop
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2023-06-13, 7:14

On any given day it's either Thai or Vietnamese doing that to each other for me.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2023-06-15, 15:02

For some reason, I'm backing to refreshing Chinese on Duolingo. 這不會持續.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2023-06-23, 12:37

I have West Greenlandic, An Essential Grammar (Routledge) by Lily Kahn and Riitta.Liisa Valijärvi. I am dreaming of speaking this language.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2023-06-29, 20:11

I wasn't too big into Chinese on Duolingo but it is convenient so I will end up doing it soon as well, I'm sure.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2023-07-12, 17:33

mōdgethanc wrote:I wasn't too big into Chinese on Duolingo but it is convenient so I will end up doing it soon as well, I'm sure.

They lured me in with their Cantonese lessons, which are only available through the medium of Mandarin. I pretty quickly realised I needed to refresh my Mandarin to get the most out of them and here we are. It doesn't hurt that I remembered a lot more Chinese than I thought (I don't do the tree normally, I just test out of a chunk of lessons at a time) so I'm getting plenty of positive reinforcement.

I dislike that they only offer simplified with Mainland vocab, but I understand the reasons for that. At least I get to see traditional characters when I do Cantonese.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2023-07-13, 15:09

linguoboy wrote:
mōdgethanc wrote:I wasn't too big into Chinese on Duolingo but it is convenient so I will end up doing it soon as well, I'm sure.

They lured me in with their Cantonese lessons, which are only available through the medium of Mandarin. I pretty quickly realised I needed to refresh my Mandarin to get the most out of them and here we are. It doesn't hurt that I remembered a lot more Chinese than I thought (I don't do the tree normally, I just test out of a chunk of lessons at a time) so I'm getting plenty of positive reinforcement.

I dislike that they only offer simplified with Mainland vocab, but I understand the reasons for that. At least I get to see traditional characters when I do Cantonese.
They have Cantonese now? With traditional script? Oh shit, I need to try this.

Also fighting urge to give Vietnamese another whirl because I can't get enough of tones lately.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2023-07-14, 20:42

Spanish is hard to shirk off, eh. It presents itself as a low-hanging fruit, but I know it's a lie.

Return to “General Language Forum”