My linguistic family tree

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Think it's cool?

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes: 4

luca_j2511

My linguistic family tree

Postby luca_j2511 » 2018-02-10, 19:37

I've seen plenty of linguistic family trees, but none of them seem to be very attractive to me. Especially big ones, that cover many languages, they are very cluttered and I can't focus on them. That's why (actually not entirely) I started making one of my own on Prezi (if you don't know it, it's awesome), a very simple one.

Take a look at it and if you don't mind give me your thoughts :D

https://prezi.com/view/C6ovkXNzZxGbPpOOG3oS/ Use scrolling to navigate in it. To understand better, read help.

Keep in mind that it is far from being finished, as you may notice. I also plan to add tiny presentations to important languages of the world we live in.

linguoboy

Re: My linguistic family tree

Postby linguoboy » 2018-02-10, 19:42

What were your criteria for deciding which languages (and branches) to include and which not to include?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

luca_j2511

Postby luca_j2511 » 2018-02-10, 21:32

linguoboy wrote:What were your criteria for deciding which languages (and branches) to include and which not to include?

For spoken languages, I used language population. For ones that are not spoken anymore I based it on how much history the language has. As for the language families, I don't know if I will add or remove any, I'm just a bit confused on how i'll do the "Altaic" family of languages since it is not really an accepted theory.

Are you satisfied with my answer? Hope it helps.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-02-11, 15:27

luca_j2511 wrote:For spoken languages, I used language population.

What was your cutoff? That is, what was the minimum population of speakers a language needed to have to be included, and how did you determine that number?

luca_j2511 wrote:For ones that are not spoken anymore I based it on how much history the language has.

How do you measure such a thing?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

luca_j2511

Postby luca_j2511 » 2018-02-11, 15:53

linguoboy wrote:
luca_j2511 wrote:For spoken languages, I used language population.

What was your cutoff? That is, what was the minimum population of speakers a language needed to have to be included, and how did you determine that number?

I added the languages starting at about 1 million (+-). At first, I didn't have a reliable source but I am rechecking with Ethnologue, which as far as I know is a good source. Thanks to your question I realized I forgot to add the sources, thank you. I will add them soon.

linguoboy wrote:
luca_j2511 wrote:For ones that are not spoken anymore I based it on how much history the language has.

How do you measure such a thing?

How I measure it is, generally, if I have heard of the language (unless I heard of them specifically because it is a very unknown language, which it is not the point to put them in the tree) I think that it's history is known enough to put it there and have people know what it is, if that makes any sense. But actually, there are not many unspoken languages on the tree (other than language branches of course).

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-02-11, 16:18

luca_j2511 wrote:How I measure it is, generally, if I have heard of the language (unless I heard of them specifically because it is a very unknown language, which it is not the point to put them in the tree) I think that it's history is known enough to put it there and have people know what it is, if that makes any sense. But actually, there are not many unspoken languages on the tree (other than language branches of course).

You've never heard of Gothic?

luca_j2511

Postby luca_j2511 » 2018-02-11, 16:38

linguoboy wrote:You've never heard of Gothic?

I haven't heard of the language, but about the Goth people. Sorry for my ignorance. I appreciate your help for my project. I will make sure to add it.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-02-11, 16:39

luca_j2511 wrote:
linguoboy wrote:You've never heard of Gothic?

I haven't heard of the language, but about the Goth people. Sorry for my ignorance. I appreciate your help for my project. I will make sure to add it.

Maybe you need a different criterion for inclusion?

luca_j2511

Postby luca_j2511 » 2018-02-11, 16:42

linguoboy wrote:Maybe you need a different criterion for inclusion?

What would be yours?

Return to “General Language Forum”