First sounds and words

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk
First sounds and words

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2017-12-15, 19:45

What were the first sounds your child made, and what were the first words? Or from yourself if you happen to know?

I know that in a lot of languages mother and father is something with a m and p because those are the first sounds a child can say, I wonder if we'll find out that this is true on anecdotical evidence.

My child first sounds were baba and dede (I joked that she was speaking Turkish :wink:).

Her first words were mama, die (that) and nee (no).
She says papa a lot btw but as she doesn't have any those are just sounds, she also says a lot of nene nowadays which is also meaningless. She's 1 year old.
Native: Dutch
Learns: Latin and French
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

linguoboy

Re: First sounds and words

Postby linguoboy » 2017-12-15, 19:56

There's a definite sequence to the acquisition of speech sounds in English. It starts with vowels and voiced nasal stops and ends with unvoiced fricatives and affricates. So /ʤ/ is generally one of the very last phonemes mastered by children learning English, but reportedly, for the son of the well-known Indo-Europeanist Eric Hamp, it was the first consonant he learned.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-12-15, 20:44

The last sound I mastered as a child was [ʁ]. Up until I was 3 or 4 I used to pronounce it as [ʒ] for some reason... :P

In general laterals such as [l] and [ʎ] tend to be the last sounds a child masters in (European) Portuguese.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-02-05, 6:41

The thrilled [r] sound was the last voice I mastered as a child (I guess when I was around 6/7? I don't exactly remember :lol: ). Before I was around those ages, my "r" sounded like [ɾ], which was often mocked by my two older siblings back then.
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-05, 6:55

The first sentence I recall making, only because my parents and brother told me about this, was:

[əmˈma]...[ˈaːmbuki]...[nahˈnah].

Apparently, this meant 'Mom's eating a hamburger'.

The syntax seems to just be the same as in Malayalam. [əmˈma] is just what I call my mom (even now). [ˈaːmbuki] is apparently how I pronounced 'hamburger' at the time (I was probably like four?) but bears a striking resemblance to [ˈaːmbut͡ʃi], which was my mom's made-up nickname for me. (My mom liked making up nicknames for everyone in our family that had no resemblance whatsoever to our actual names, and preferably no resemblance to any actually existing names, either). I think [nahˈnah] for 'am/are/is eating' was probably inspired by the fact that my parents are always paranoid about us potentially getting sick from bacteria in food, so they heat everything up until it's way too hot to actually eat, which was frustrating when I was hungry and couldn't heat things up myself! So one coping mechanism I used to use was to sort of blow on the food while chewing it, which kind of sounded like [nahnahnah].

Return to “General Language Forum”