"rocambolesque" expressions

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Osias
"rocambolesque" expressions

Postby Osias » 2017-10-18, 19:53

This is a thread for expressions that are quite straightforward in most languages but a little complex in some others, like "Go raibh maith agat" for "thank you" in Irish.

A rocambole is this:

If you don't like my coinage of "rocambolesque" suggest me a better term in English and I'll edit the title.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Osias

Re: "rocambolesque" expressions

Postby Osias » 2017-10-18, 20:00

Another example: the two first words of the preface of the novel Dom Quixote are "desocupado lector" in Spanish, something like "dear idle reader", but one Italian edition once used like 10 words to say the same.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-10-18, 21:11

Osias wrote:"Go raibh maith agat"

Do you realize that it has just one more syllable than obrigado? Or, according to Wikitionary, if we take Cois Fharraige dialect, it has exactly the same number of syllables as obrigado.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/go_raibh ... nunciation

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-10-18, 21:23

It's even less if we consider people say "muito obrigado". :D

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-10-18, 21:26

Osias wrote:It's even less if we consider people say "muito obrigado". :D

So what's "rocambolesque" about it?

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2017-10-18, 21:28

IpseDixit wrote:Do you realize that it has just one more syllable than obrigado? Or, according to Wikitionary, if we take Cois Fharraige dialect, it has exactly the same number of syllables as obrigado.

Will you count it as long enough if I answer his "go raibh maith agat" with "go ndeánaidh a mhaith duit"? ;)

I do think that Irish likes set phrases instead of single words much more than most popular languages. Even if in pronunciation it doesn't end up much longer, you can still see the literal meaning behind the phrases, which is kind of nice.

Osias wrote:It's even less if we consider people say "muito obrigado". :D

Well, I can do the same: "go raibh míle maith agat" ;)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-10-18, 21:31

So what's "rocambolesque" about it?

It seemed convoluted, unnecessarily :?: winding :?: for me at first.

It's all about first impressions. Once one gets used to a language, everything seems smooth.

This isn't a thread to prove Irish is complex, but to give interesting/funny examples you met in any language.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-10-18, 21:32

kevin wrote:
IpseDixit wrote:Do you realize that it has just one more syllable than obrigado? Or, according to Wikitionary, if we take Cois Fharraige dialect, it has exactly the same number of syllables as obrigado.

Will you count it as long enough if I answer his "go raibh maith agat" with "go ndeánaidh a mhaith duit"? ;)

No, because I have no idea how it's pronounced.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-10-18, 21:32

kevin wrote:Even if in pronunciation it doesn't end up much longer, you can still see the literal meaning behind the phrases, which is kind of nice.

But isn't that true of most languages that have an equivalent of "thank you"? Where can't you see that? French? (Well, and of course languages that borrowed it from French).

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2017-10-18, 21:38

vijayjohn wrote:But isn't that true of most languages that have a word for "thank you"? Where can't you see that? French? (Well, and of course languages that borrowed it from French).

What I mean is that the meaning of a simple word like "thanks" is kind of boring compared to a whole phrase that you probably wouldn't intuitively understand as anything related to thanking someone if you just looked it up word by word.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-10-18, 21:53

Anyways, something that has always struck me is that English has never felt the need to shorten the phrases "the day after tomorrow" and "the day before yesterday". I propose the coinage of the words "twice-tomorrow" and "twice-yesterday".

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2017-10-18, 22:04

I'll also nominate "s'il vous plaît", "alstublieft", "más é do thoil é" and similar things for "please".

IpseDixit wrote:No, because I have no idea how it's pronounced.

Like it's written, of course.

IpseDixit wrote:Anyways, something that has always struck me is that English has never felt the need to shorten the phrases "the day after tomorrow" and "the day before yesterday". I propose the coinage of the words "twice-tomorrow" and "twice-yesterday".

"overmorrow" and "ereyesterday"? Apparently they felt a need to lengthen the short words rather than never feeling a need to shorten.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-10-18, 22:13

Why not just "ereday"? :P

Also, how about "qu'est-ce que (c'est)" and other examples of enchaînement in French?

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2017-10-18, 22:20

vijayjohn wrote:Also, how about "qu'est-ce que (c'est)" and other examples of enchaînement in French?
Go big or go home! "Qu'est-ce que c'est que ça ?" for "What's that?"

In the Harry Potter books, Voldemort is occasionally referred to as He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. In French, that became Celui-Dont-On-Ne-Doit-Pas-Prononcer-Le-Nom, which means basically the same thing but has twice as many syllables.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-10-18, 23:57

kevin wrote:
IpseDixit wrote:No, because I have no idea how it's pronounced.

Like it's written, of course.

Let's see how close I come:
go ndeánaidh a mhaith duit
/gə n`ɑːni(g?) ə vɑː dɪt`/

Because of my keyboard, I can't mark the slender consonants like I normally would. I'm also not sure if the <dh> in <ndeánaidh> would be pronounced in this case.
I believe that <duit> has a bit of an offglide with the <u>.

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2017-10-19, 1:34

English: I think that ...
Japanese: ...という風な考え方もあろうかと思いますが toiu fuu-na kangaekata-mo arou-ka-to omoimasuga
(lit: although I think there might be a way of thinking in such a way that...)

English: We apologize for your inconvenience. (to a customer)
Japanese: この度はお客様に大変ご不便ご迷惑をおかけし、大変申し訳ありません。kono tabi-wa okyakusama-ni taihen gofuben gomeiwaku-wo okakesi, taihen mousiwake arimasen
(lit. we have caused such terrible inconvenience and trouble to the esteemed customer this time, we truly have no excuse to utter.)

English: Hello/Good afternoon. (welcoming a visitor to your office)
Japanese: お忙しい中おいでいただきありがとうございます。oisogasiinaka oideitadaki arigatougozaimasu
(lit. we consider it hard to happen that we receive your honorable visit in the midst of your busi-ness.)

As for the last one, こんにちは(konnichiwa) is not a proper greeting to use in business because you cannot add -ございます(gozaimasu) to make it formal Keigo. The visiting one may say something like this as a "hello":

いつもお世話になっております。itsumo osewani natte orimasu
(lit. we are always under your favor/assistance)

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2017-10-19, 8:16

księżycowy wrote:Let's see how close I come:
go ndeánaidh a mhaith duit
/gə n`ɑːni(g?) ə vɑː dɪt`/

Oh, sorry, didn't mean to confuse you. :oops:

So, well, yes and no. What you have looks like a proper Munster pronunciation of what I wrote. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense because what I wrote is dialectal Ulster Irish. I did this both because that's what I would say myself, and also because I think that in the South other responses such as "tá fáilte romhat" are preferred (which sounds awfully like Béarlachas to me, but it's probably just a question of what you're used to).

So my actual pronunciation would be like:
/gə 'n´ɑːniː (ə) wɑɪ dɪt´/

The standard form is "go ndéana a mhaith duit". I think, Munster is the same as the standard in this case, though I'm not completely sure whether the subjunctive form of "déan" would really be "go ndéana" there. But I couldn't find anything else that might be used there, so probably it is.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-10-19, 9:06

You tricked me with Ulster! :silly:

And here I thought you were learning CO.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-10-19, 14:44

From a post I wrote over two years ago:
The word for an (electric) switch in Malayalam (e.g. a light switch) is simply "switch," but apparently, there used to be a joke that if there was to be a "pure Malayalam" word for 'switch' (which effectively means a compound of Classical Sanskrit words/morphemes without any English ones), it would be:

വൈദ്യുതഗമനാഗമനനിയന്ത്രണയന്ത്രം [ʋəjd̪jʊd̪əgəməˈnaːgəmənən̪ijən̪d̪rəɳejən̪d̪rəm]

Literally 'device (/jant̪ram/) for controlling (/n̪ijant̪raɳa/) the coming (/aːgamanam/) and going (/gamanam/) of electricity (/ʋajd̪jut̪a/)' :lol:

Also, a Balinese colleague of mine in grad school used to joke with me about the Malay word for 'maternity ward': rumah sakit korban lelaki, literally 'hospital (rumah sakit, or even more literally 'sick (sakit) house (rumah)') for victims (korban) of man (lelaki)'.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2017-10-25, 21:49

Aujourd'hui. Like seriously? Why not simply hui?
And of course, if you want to stress the concept of today, you can say au jour d'aujourd'hui.

Return to “General Language Forum”