Short scale vs long scale

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

הענט
Short scale vs long scale

Postby הענט » 2017-09-02, 10:55

So there are countries which use long scale (Czech Republic), short scale ( USA), short scale with milliard ( Russia, Turkey), myriad system (Japan, Korea), "crore crore" system (India) etc.

Which one do you prefer? There are many occasions where people translate these numbers the wrong way. For example one trillion dollars 10^12 is 10^18 if left like this in Czech. For me it gets harder with larger numbers. In Adventure Capitalist you can have vigintillions and I'm too lazy to translate to long scale in my mind.

Karavinka

Re: Short scale vs long scale

Postby Karavinka » 2017-09-02, 11:05

Short. When I see the word "billion", I assume it is 1,000 times one million. Likewise, a trillion is 1,000 times one billion. I will get sorely confused if the long scale was used w/o notice.

I occasionally deal with large numbers, and the system used in that context goes like: KT (1,000 x trillion), MT (million x trillion), BT (billion x trillion), TT (trillion x trillion) and back to KTT.

הענט

Re: Short scale vs long scale

Postby הענט » 2017-09-02, 11:24

Yeah I prefer the short scale too. I also don't like when they "translate" from wons to dollars on KBS World despite how rarely I watch it.

On a side note I don't like one face banknotes. Mao Zedong, Gandhi, Jinna, Ho Chi Minh. Can't they find someone else to print? I absolutely love SA Rand banknotes. :)

Return to “General Language Forum”