Random language thread 5

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Random language thread 5

Postby księżycowy » 2018-05-14, 20:52

喂!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-05-14, 23:18

księżycowy wrote:喂!

喂,你好吗?

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2018-05-14, 23:28

錯誤! :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-05-15, 0:19

什么错误?

:whistle:

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2018-05-15, 15:56

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
Spoiler Alert: Turkish | -30 Thai | Sink or Zapotec

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2018-05-15, 16:14

vijayjohn wrote:什么错误?

I totally forgot that we were doing this. :P

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2018-05-15, 16:47

vijayjohn wrote:什么错误?

简体字 残体字就是错误!可恶的中共支那猪!
台湾国万岁!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-05-17, 4:38

:lol:

Karavinka's video reminds me of a scene from my favorite Telugu movie (yes, the one with all the shitty songs whose lyrics are more than half in English). A Telugu teacher (and language purist) makes fun of the hero for using too many English words, and the heroine challenges the hero to speak for one full minute only in Telugu (he says, "Hey, come on. Telugu is my mother tongue. I know Telugu very well!" entirely in English :lol:). The hero gets a friend to lend him some DVDs of old Telugu movies so he can impress her by speaking pure Telugu, then later asks his friend, "Why did you get me foreign language DVDs? There aren't even any subs!" :P

atalarikt
Language Forum Moderator

Postby atalarikt » 2018-05-17, 6:44

vijayjohn wrote::lol:

Karavinka's video reminds me of a scene from my favorite Telugu movie (yes, the one with all the shitty songs whose lyrics are more than half in English). A Telugu teacher (and language purist) makes fun of the hero for using too many English words, and the heroine challenges the hero to speak for one full minute only in Telugu (he says, "Hey, come on. Telugu is my mother tongue. I know Telugu very well!" entirely in English :lol:). The hero gets a friend to lend him some DVDs of old Telugu movies so he can impress her by speaking pure Telugu, then later asks his friend, "Why did you get me foreign language DVDs? There aren't even any subs!" :P

This tickles my sense of curiosity, mind telling me the movie's title?
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

md0

Postby md0 » 2018-05-18, 17:58

It's been several years since last time, but I bought a new language learning book

Now I feel guilty for not pursuing Turkish more after the three-semester course at uni was completed, but I can't even explain how ubiquitous English is over here. There's just no external incentive to learn Turkish (or Greek, if you don't speak Greek).
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Cypriot Greek (el-cy) | ○Standard Modern Greek of Greece (el)Assorted Englishes (en) | ↓France French (fr) | ⊖Police Procedural J-Drama Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr) | ↑German Standard German (de)

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2018-05-18, 18:39

:bounce: :y:

If you need help, shout.
Please correct my mistakes!

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2018-05-19, 0:12

Ciarán12 wrote:I think it depends on the kind of Portuguese. PT-BR doesn't sound too out-of-the-ordinary for a romance language (well, the nasal vowels are kind of odd, but that's about it). PT-PT and Azorean especially are pretty crazy.

And depending how a person sees it, eh? :P

Basically, not only nasal vowels, but rich vowel inventory. And plus, their habit to affricate t and d before front vowels, which is a feature found in North American French.

They just suck at rounded vs unrounded just like the rest of the Romance speakers.

IpseDixit wrote:And if you look at the languages of Northern Italy, French will look even less of an oddball.

Hmmm, not too surprised? Considering they're part of the group that French is also part of, but not Italian, and plus influences from German (I think so, if not please correct me).

Again, just depending how a person sees it. Italian tends to be conservative in its evolution from Latin whereas French and Portuguese went pretty far from it.
Neferuj paħujkij!

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2018-05-19, 0:26

Car wrote:If you need help, shout.

AAAAAAAH!

Ciarán12

Postby Ciarán12 » 2018-05-19, 11:25

JackFrost wrote:Basically, not only nasal vowels, but rich vowel inventory.

Again, depends on the dialect. Most PT-BR varieties have the standard 5 vowels /a/, /o/, /u/, /e/, /i/ plus /ɛ/ and /ɔ/ and the nasal vowels. EP has schwas and Azorean has /y/ and /œ/ and sounds kind of French because of that.

JackFrost wrote:And plus, their habit to affricate t and d before front vowels, which is a feature found in North American French.

As far as I know, that doesn't happen in EP, and it's not even universal in PT-BR - dialects of the north-east of Brazil don't have that, for example. I didn't know it was a thing in North American French though. Now I'm curious. (You're making me wanderlust for Quebecois French!)

JackFrost wrote:They just suck at rounded vs unrounded just like the rest of the Romance speakers.

Except the Açoreanos ;)

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2018-05-20, 17:53

Ciarán12 wrote:Again, depends on the dialect. Most PT-BR varieties have the standard 5 vowels /a/, /o/, /u/, /e/, /i/ plus /ɛ/ and /ɔ/ and the nasal vowels. EP has schwas and Azorean has /y/ and /œ/ and sounds kind of French because of that.

Then nasal vowels, which are distinct from their non-nasal counterparts. Then diphthongs. That's a bit heavy for a Romance language that usually only know 4-5 vowels plus diphthongs.

JackFrost wrote:As far as I know, that doesn't happen in EP, and it's not even universal in PT-BR - dialects of the north-east of Brazil don't have that, for example. I didn't know it was a thing in North American French though. Now I'm curious. (You're making me wanderlust for Quebecois French!)

That's why I use "habit" because I fully know that not all variants do that. I guess I should've said "tendency". :wink:

Basic rule for French : /d/ and /t/ before /i/, /y/, and /u/ become [d͡z]/[t͡s] in Quebecois; become [d͡ʒ]/[t͡ʃ] in Acadian. Actually, Acadian goes further including /e/, /ø/, /ɛ/ and /œ/ (including their nasal counterparts) in the affrication process. :D

And it's one of a few best ways to spot a Quebecois. Affrication is so entrenched in the language that it's even part of our standard version of French.

JackFrost wrote:Except the Açoreanos ;)

Our little friend. :')
Neferuj paħujkij!

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2018-05-20, 18:58

księżycowy wrote:
Car wrote:If you need help, shout.

AAAAAAAH!

:lol: You're welcome, too, of course.
Please correct my mistakes!

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2018-05-20, 19:37

Dankeschön! :lol:

Saim

Postby Saim » 2018-05-21, 5:47

JackFrost wrote:Then diphthongs. That's a bit heavy for a Romance language that usually only know 4-5 vowels plus diphthongs.

I think most Romance languages would be closer to having 7 vowels given how common the e-ɛ and o-ɔ distincions are. Really Spanish (and Asturleonese, Aragonese) is the odd one out here. Romanian doesn't have /ɔ/ or /ɛ/ but it makes up for it by adding /ə/ and /ɨ/ (the latter is common in North Slavic, too).

IpseDixit
Language Forum Moderator

Postby IpseDixit » 2018-05-21, 8:48

Which Romance language has 4 vowels? :hmm:

atalarikt
Language Forum Moderator

Postby atalarikt » 2018-05-21, 15:33

Saim wrote:I think most Romance languages would be closer to having 7 vowels given how common the e-ɛ and o-ɔ distincions are. Really Spanish (and Asturleonese, Aragonese) is the odd one out here. Romanian doesn't have /ɔ/ or /ɛ/ but it makes up for it by adding /ə/ and /ɨ/ (the latter is common in North Slavic, too).

Wait, aren't there only three groups of Slavic languages (West, East and South)?
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

Return to “General Language Forum”