Confusion Between Similar Languages

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Forum Administrators

User avatar
mikemike18
Posts: 214
Joined: 2010-12-30, 7:40
Real Name: Michael
Gender: male
Location: Honolulu
Country: US United States (United States)

Confusion Between Similar Languages

Postby mikemike18 » 2016-12-06, 13:31

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has the same problem I do, and if you do, how you deal with it. I am living in Brazil at the moment and my Portuguese has advanced a lot. However, nowadays, when I try to speak Spanish or Italian - I cannot. My mind thinks first in Portuguese and I end up mixing Portuguese and whatever language I am trying to speak. However, I speak Italian and Spanish both at advanced levels, it is just now that I am in Brazil, I physically cannot hold a full conversation on the spot.

Does anyone else have this problem with similar languages, or maybe even languages which are not similar? How have you solved this problem?

Thanks!

---
[flag=]pt-BR[/flag]Oi gente, tudo bem?

Quis saber se vocês têm o mesmo problema que eu, e se tiverem, como é que vocês lidam com ele? Estou morando no Brasil e meu português já melhorou muito. Contudo, hoje em dia, quando eu tento falar ou espanhol ou italiano, não consigo. Eu penso primeiro em português e acabo misturando o português com a outra língua que quero falar. Contudo, eu falo os dois idiomas (espanhol e italiano) a níveis avançados, é só porque estou aqui no Brasil que não consigo conversar.

Alguém tem este problema com línguas que se parecem, ou talvez línguas que têm menos em comum? Como é que vocês resolveram este problema?

Obrigado :D
Avançado: [flag=]en-US[/flag][flag=]pt-BR[/flag][flag=]it[/flag][flag=]es-ES[/flag]
Preciso melhorar: [flag=]ar-afb[/flag][flag=]fr[/flag]
Algum dia: [flag=]de[/flag][flag=]haw[/flag][flag=]hr[/flag]

User avatar
dEhiN
Posts: 4066
Joined: 2013-08-18, 2:51
Real Name: David
Gender: male
Location: Toronto
Country: CA Canada (Canada)
Contact:

Re: Confusion Between Similar Languages

Postby dEhiN » 2016-12-06, 14:00

I'm going to answer in English, as much as I'd like to answer in Portuguese since I don't know enough of it. :(

I think that's very normal: mixing up and also thinking first in Portuguese. The only thing I've done is keep practicing switching, either when I'm alone or with others. I personally think (or hope) that my brain will get better at switching and learning which contexts to use which language, the more I do it. It's like reinforcing a neural pathway.
My TAC for 2017.

N:(en-CA) | B2:(fr) | A2:(es-CO)(pt-BR) | A1:(ja)(ko)(sv)(ta-LK) | A0:(de)(fy)(hi)(hu)(it)(pl)(ro)(tr)

User avatar
IpseDixit
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 8935
Joined: 2013-05-06, 21:06
Gender: male
Location: Bologna / Milan / Florence
Country: IT Italy (Italia)

Re: Confusion Between Similar Languages

Postby IpseDixit » 2016-12-06, 14:58

IMO the only way to solve this problem is practice Italian and Spanish more.

User avatar
Osias
Posts: 6146
Joined: 2007-09-09, 17:38
Real Name: Osias Junior
Gender: male
Location: Vitória
Country: BR Brazil (Brasil)
Contact:

Re: Confusion Between Similar Languages

Postby Osias » 2016-12-10, 16:36

mikemike18 wrote:Queria saber se vocês têm o mesmo problema que eu, e se tiverem, como é que vocês lidam com ele? Estou morando no Brasil e meu português já melhorou muito. Contudo, hoje em dia, quando eu tento falar ou espanhol ou italiano, não consigo. Eu penso primeiro em português e acabo misturando o português com a outra língua que quero falar. Contudo, eu falo os dois idiomas (espanhol e italiano) a níveis avançados, e só porque estou aqui no Brasil que não consigo conversar.

Alguém tem este problema com línguas que se parecem, ou talvez línguas que têm menos em comum? Como é que vocês resolveram este problema?

Obrigado :D


Onde você está no Brasil? Desde quando? Com quem? Fale mais! :D

Sobre o assunto, acho que você está passando pela fase do pandemonium que estudei na faculdade num curso que abordou levemente teorias cognitivas, e depois que acostumar com o português vai voltar a diferenciar as outras línguas.
2017 est l'année du [flag=]fr[/flag] et de l'[flag=]de[/flag] pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

User avatar
Linguist
Posts: 216
Joined: 2014-06-17, 11:26
Gender: male
Location: A pretty big city.
Country: DE Germany (Deutschland)

Re: Confusion Between Similar Languages

Postby Linguist » 2016-12-10, 18:39

Happens to me all the time when I try to speak another Germanic language than my native one (except English). I learnt Dutch at school and everytime I try to refresh my Dutch skills I end up speaking half German and half Dutch. I also sometimes try to pick up some Icelandic or Swedish (as they are the most interesting Germanic languages to me) - but after only a few lessons I give up, because it’s so similiar to my mother tongue, I end up mixing everything up all the time (especially mixing them up with Dutch, again).

The only other experience I had with mixing languages up was when I dipped into Italian which at first had confusingly similiar vocabularies to Spanish. But when I got into it, the confusion was gone :)
[ownflag=]http://www.nationalflaggen.de/media/flags/flagge-heiliges-roemisches-reich-ab-1400.gif[/ownflag] Die anderen tugende sind einwiht, und ist dâ bî diu stæte niht.

User avatar
mikemike18
Posts: 214
Joined: 2010-12-30, 7:40
Real Name: Michael
Gender: male
Location: Honolulu
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Confusion Between Similar Languages

Postby mikemike18 » 2016-12-12, 19:45

Osias wrote:
mikemike18 wrote:Queria saber se vocês têm o mesmo problema que eu, e se tiverem, como é que vocês lidam com ele? Estou morando no Brasil e meu português já melhorou muito. Contudo, hoje em dia, quando eu tento falar ou espanhol ou italiano, não consigo. Eu penso primeiro em português e acabo misturando o português com a outra língua que quero falar. Contudo, eu falo os dois idiomas (espanhol e italiano) a níveis avançados, e só porque estou aqui no Brasil que não consigo conversar.

Alguém tem este problema com línguas que se parecem, ou talvez línguas que têm menos em comum? Como é que vocês resolveram este problema?

Obrigado :D


Onde você está no Brasil? Desde quando? Com quem? Fale mais! :D

Sobre o assunto, acho que você está passando pela fase do pandemonium que estudei na faculdade num curso que abordou levemente teorias cognitivas, e depois que acostumar com o português vai voltar a diferenciar as outras línguas.


Olá Osias! Obrigado pelas correções! Nossa.. eu nunca entendi 100% esse negócio com o pretérito/imperfeito kkk.

Tem 5 meses que moro em Belo Horizonte, mas infelizmente, eu vou embora amanhã. Eu sempre quis ir pra Vitória mas essa vez não deu tempo. Assim que eu voltar pro Brasil, vou ir pra aí! (Eu já tenho planos de voltar pro Brasil por mais um tempão depois de formar. Eu amei esse país!)

Vim pra cá (sozinho) porque minha faculdade tem parceria com a prefeitura, então eu fiz um tipo de "intercâmbio de trabalho" a fim de aprender mais sobre relações internacionais (e a língua portuguesa :P ).

Nunca ouvi falar desse conceito de pandemonium. Conhece um recurso que posso consultar para aprender mais sobre isso? Parece interessante! Quando eu falo português, não misturo nada. Para mim, as dificuldades só surgem quando eu preciso falar uma outra língua românica. É triste porque eu tenho amigas Colombianas aqui em BH e elas acham que eu não falo espanhol, quando na realidade, eu estudei por 7 anos na escola e falo mais ou menos fluente quando estou nos Estados Unidos. Vou voltar pra Itália em janeiro e já estou com medo que a mesma coisa vai acontecer lá com português.
Avançado: [flag=]en-US[/flag][flag=]pt-BR[/flag][flag=]it[/flag][flag=]es-ES[/flag]
Preciso melhorar: [flag=]ar-afb[/flag][flag=]fr[/flag]
Algum dia: [flag=]de[/flag][flag=]haw[/flag][flag=]hr[/flag]

User avatar
Osias
Posts: 6146
Joined: 2007-09-09, 17:38
Real Name: Osias Junior
Gender: male
Location: Vitória
Country: BR Brazil (Brasil)
Contact:

Re: Confusion Between Similar Languages

Postby Osias » 2016-12-13, 1:20

mikemike18 wrote:Olá Osias! Obrigado pelas correções!

De nada. :)

Eu amei esse país!

Eu não entendo quando vocês falam isso! E a violência, e o desemprego, e a feiúra das favelas? Da última vez que passei em BH, tava bastante favelizado. E nem tem mar nessa cidade! E a crise, a homofobia, o lixo nas ruas?!?


Vim pra cá (sozinho) porque minha faculdade tem parceria com a prefeitura
Com a prefeitura? :hmm: Achei que essas coisa era com o governo federal... Enfim.

Nunca ouvi falar desse conceito de pandemonium. Conhece um recurso que posso consultar para aprender mais sobre isso?

Eu vivo procurando e não achando nada decente. Jogando "pandemonium cognitive psychology" no google agora dá uns resultados que parecem restringir o significado à área da percepção visual/sensorial.

Mas eu me lembro do professor dando exemplos do judoca e do mestre do xadrez que quando estavam aprendendo técnicas novas para subir de nível perdiam lutas/partidas para principiantes porque se confundiam ainda. Era tipo um regresso, tinha um gráfico em forma de "U" tipo uncanney valley.

Quando eu falo português, não misturo nada. Para mim, as dificuldades só surgem quando eu preciso falar uma outra língua românica.


Isso é consistente com o que me lembro das aulas: você não está na fase do pandemonium para o português, mas para as outras línguas românicas, agora que tem um novo conhecimento delas, um boost dado pela imersão no pt-br.
2017 est l'année du [flag=]fr[/flag] et de l'[flag=]de[/flag] pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

User avatar
md0
Posts: 6897
Joined: 2010-08-08, 19:56
Country: CY Cyprus (Κύπρος / Kıbrıs)

Re: Confusion Between Similar Languages

Postby md0 » 2016-12-13, 7:47

Japanese constantly interferes with my Turkish, but I don't know if it's because there's typological similarities, or because they are the two languages I'm learning as an adult.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"

User avatar
Antea
Posts: 1577
Joined: 2015-08-23, 10:53
Real Name: c
Gender: female

Re: Confusion Between Similar Languages

Postby Antea » 2016-12-13, 9:13

It happened to me all the time when I was learning Italian. But it happened also to everybody in my class. We were constantly mixing Spanish and Catalan words (even Latin words) :roll: . I suppose you need more practise with the other languages.

The other day I was trying to speak Portuguese with a Brazilian friend, and it was pretty difficult for me. I felt like I was talking "Portuñol" :hmm: . But the fact it's that we understood each other without problems.

User avatar
mikemike18
Posts: 214
Joined: 2010-12-30, 7:40
Real Name: Michael
Gender: male
Location: Honolulu
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Confusion Between Similar Languages

Postby mikemike18 » 2016-12-13, 13:38

Osias wrote:
mikemike18 wrote:Olá Osias! Obrigado pelas correções!

De nada. :)

Eu amei esse país!

Eu não entendo quando vocês falam isso! E a violência, e o desemprego, e a feiúra das favelas? Da última vez que passei em BH, tava bastante favelizado. E nem tem mar nessa cidade! E a crise, a homofobia, o lixo nas ruas?!?


Vim pra cá (sozinho) porque minha faculdade tem parceria com a prefeitura
Com a prefeitura? :hmm: Achei que essas coisa era com o governo federal... Enfim.

Nunca ouvi falar desse conceito de pandemonium. Conhece um recurso que posso consultar para aprender mais sobre isso?

Eu vivo procurando e não achando nada decente. Jogando "pandemonium cognitive psychology" no google agora dá uns resultados que parecem restringir o significado à área da percepção visual/sensorial.

Mas eu me lembro do professor dando exemplos do judoca e do mestre do xadrez que quando estavam aprendendo técnicas novas para subir de nível perdiam lutas/partidas para principiantes porque se confundiam ainda. Era tipo um regresso, tinha um gráfico em forma de "U" tipo uncanney valley.

Quando eu falo português, não misturo nada. Para mim, as dificuldades só surgem quando eu preciso falar uma outra língua românica.


Isso é consistente com o que me lembro das aulas: você não está na fase do pandemonium para o português, mas para as outras línguas românicas, agora que tem um novo conhecimento delas, um boost dado pela imersão no pt-br.


Eu acho que como estrangeiro, eu penso mais nas coisas boas, sabe? Eu amo a comida e o povo daqui. Onde é que você pode achar a feijoada, o pão de queijo, e o açaí tão gostoso que tem aqui no Brasil? Além disso, em todo lugar onde eu vou (Carrefour, Subway, a lanchonete perto do meu trabalho, etc.) todo mundo sabe meu nome, minha história e mantém uma forma de intimidade comigo. Isso não acontece em Boston, onde fica minha faculdade. Sei lá, tem uma energia aqui no Brasil que não existe em nenhum outro lugar.

Quanto á prefeitura, ela tem um programa para estagiários internacionais. Alguns estudantes da minha faculdade já tinham feito antes que eu chegasse aqui, e depois, a prefeitura fez aquela parceria com minha faculdade para encorajar a participação de mais alunos.

Ah entendi! Obrigado pela explicação. É muito interessante.
Avançado: [flag=]en-US[/flag][flag=]pt-BR[/flag][flag=]it[/flag][flag=]es-ES[/flag]
Preciso melhorar: [flag=]ar-afb[/flag][flag=]fr[/flag]
Algum dia: [flag=]de[/flag][flag=]haw[/flag][flag=]hr[/flag]

User avatar
Osias
Posts: 6146
Joined: 2007-09-09, 17:38
Real Name: Osias Junior
Gender: male
Location: Vitória
Country: BR Brazil (Brasil)
Contact:

Re: Confusion Between Similar Languages

Postby Osias » 2016-12-13, 15:46

mikemike18 wrote:Onde é que você pode achar a feijoada, o pão de queijo, e o açaí tão gostoso que tem aqui no Brasil?


Mas então se no Brasil tem todos esses problemas e no resto mundo não tem nem pão de queijo e nem feijoada e açaí, nós estamos vivendo mesmo em um presente distópico! :D

Ah, sei lá... dizem a comida italiana é boa (feita literalmente lá na Itália), e eu estive 5 dias na Argentina e gostei do que comi, sei lá, de repente com o tempo teria saudade das outras coisas.


Além disso, em todo lugar onde eu vou (Carrefour, Subway, a lanchonete perto do meu trabalho, etc.) todo mundo sabe meu nome, minha história e mantém uma forma de intimidade comigo. Isso não acontece em Boston, onde fica minha faculdade. Sei lá, tem uma energia aqui no Brasil que não existe em nenhum outro lugar.


Já vi várias pessoas falarem isso. Isso me intriga, como o povo brasileiro consegue ao mesmo tempo ser tão legal e tão problemático. Explicações como a do Sérgio Buarque de Holanda me vem na cabeça, acho que eu devia ler o livro dele, não só resumos.

Quanto à prefeitura, ela tem um programa para estagiários internacionais.
Eu me sinto "o" chato corrigindo uma besteira dessas, mas se seu português é importante academicamente (em provas da faculdade ou proficiência para esse tipo de intercâmbio) é melhor dar atenção a tudo, né?
2017 est l'année du [flag=]fr[/flag] et de l'[flag=]de[/flag] pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

User avatar
mikemike18
Posts: 214
Joined: 2010-12-30, 7:40
Real Name: Michael
Gender: male
Location: Honolulu
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Confusion Between Similar Languages

Postby mikemike18 » 2016-12-19, 5:53

Linguist wrote:Happens to me all the time when I try to speak another Germanic language than my native one (except English). I learnt Dutch at school and everytime I try to refresh my Dutch skills I end up speaking half German and half Dutch. I also sometimes try to pick up some Icelandic or Swedish (as they are the most interesting Germanic languages to me) - but after only a few lessons I give up, because it’s so similiar to my mother tongue, I end up mixing everything up all the time (especially mixing them up with Dutch, again).

The only other experience I had with mixing languages up was when I dipped into Italian which at first had confusingly similiar vocabularies to Spanish. But when I got into it, the confusion was gone :)


I'm glad I'm not alone in this haha. It's interesting you say that you started mixing Swedish and Icelandic with your mother tongue. In my case, I only mix with other languages I learned after English. I could never even think of mixing another language with English haha.
Avançado: [flag=]en-US[/flag][flag=]pt-BR[/flag][flag=]it[/flag][flag=]es-ES[/flag]
Preciso melhorar: [flag=]ar-afb[/flag][flag=]fr[/flag]
Algum dia: [flag=]de[/flag][flag=]haw[/flag][flag=]hr[/flag]

User avatar
dEhiN
Posts: 4066
Joined: 2013-08-18, 2:51
Real Name: David
Gender: male
Location: Toronto
Country: CA Canada (Canada)
Contact:

Re: Confusion Between Similar Languages

Postby dEhiN » 2016-12-19, 20:16

mikemike18 wrote:
Linguist wrote:Happens to me all the time when I try to speak another Germanic language than my native one (except English). I learnt Dutch at school and everytime I try to refresh my Dutch skills I end up speaking half German and half Dutch. I also sometimes try to pick up some Icelandic or Swedish (as they are the most interesting Germanic languages to me) - but after only a few lessons I give up, because it’s so similiar to my mother tongue, I end up mixing everything up all the time (especially mixing them up with Dutch, again).

The only other experience I had with mixing languages up was when I dipped into Italian which at first had confusingly similiar vocabularies to Spanish. But when I got into it, the confusion was gone :)


I'm glad I'm not alone in this haha. It's interesting you say that you started mixing Swedish and Icelandic with your mother tongue. In my case, I only mix with other languages I learned after English. I could never even think of mixing another language with English haha.

But I think that's because English is so different from the languages it could be considered close to: genetically it's sufficiently different from other Germanic languages, including its closest living cousin - Frisian - that it's hard to mix them up. And even though English has many Romance words, because it's a Germanic language, there's really no chance of mixing up English with French.

Although I have had the experience several times of accidentally saying a French loanword with the French pronunciation. I remember once I ordered a grande at Starbucks using the French pronunciation, and the barista looked at me with a blank stare.
My TAC for 2017.

N:(en-CA) | B2:(fr) | A2:(es-CO)(pt-BR) | A1:(ja)(ko)(sv)(ta-LK) | A0:(de)(fy)(hi)(hu)(it)(pl)(ro)(tr)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 15805
Joined: 2013-01-10, 8:49
Real Name: Vijay John
Gender: male
Location: Austin
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Confusion Between Similar Languages

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-12-20, 7:59

dEhiN wrote:Although I have had the experience several times of accidentally saying a French loanword with the French pronunciation. I remember once I ordered a grande at Starbucks using the French pronunciation, and the barista looked at me with a blank stare.

Isn't that supposed to be an Italian word? I thought there was supposed to be grande vs. piccolo, or at least I recall seeing that distinction being made (I think at a non-Starbucks coffee shop at a mall here when I was a teenager?). EDIT: At Starbucks, they also have venti and trenta, which are definitely Italian.

User avatar
dEhiN
Posts: 4066
Joined: 2013-08-18, 2:51
Real Name: David
Gender: male
Location: Toronto
Country: CA Canada (Canada)
Contact:

Re: Confusion Between Similar Languages

Postby dEhiN » 2016-12-21, 6:44

vijayjohn wrote:
dEhiN wrote:Although I have had the experience several times of accidentally saying a French loanword with the French pronunciation. I remember once I ordered a grande at Starbucks using the French pronunciation, and the barista looked at me with a blank stare.

Isn't that supposed to be an Italian word? I thought there was supposed to be grande vs. piccolo, or at least I recall seeing that distinction being made (I think at a non-Starbucks coffee shop at a mall here when I was a teenager?). EDIT: At Starbucks, they also have venti and trenta, which are definitely Italian.

Yeah it is Italian. I actually didn't know they had trenta; I've only seen short, tall, grande, and venti. I also used to think venti meant something like extra-large, but then learned that it meant twenty and referred to the size of the cup: 20 oz. And even though grande as used by Starbucks is Italian, I said it with a French pronunciation because I know French, not Italian.
My TAC for 2017.

N:(en-CA) | B2:(fr) | A2:(es-CO)(pt-BR) | A1:(ja)(ko)(sv)(ta-LK) | A0:(de)(fy)(hi)(hu)(it)(pl)(ro)(tr)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 15805
Joined: 2013-01-10, 8:49
Real Name: Vijay John
Gender: male
Location: Austin
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Confusion Between Similar Languages

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-12-21, 13:07

dEhiN wrote:And even though grande as used by Starbucks is Italian, I said it with a French pronunciation because I know French, not Italian.

This is probably why English-speakers in general often Frenchify words in ways that don't make much sense. :lol: Sometimes, they even take actual French words and botch the pronunciation ([ˈlɑnʒəɹej]). :P

User avatar
Saim
Posts: 4228
Joined: 2011-01-22, 5:44
Location: QLD
Country: AU Australia (Australia)

Re: Confusion Between Similar Languages

Postby Saim » 2016-12-21, 15:34

vijayjohn wrote:
dEhiN wrote:And even though grande as used by Starbucks is Italian, I said it with a French pronunciation because I know French, not Italian.

This is probably why English-speakers in general often Frenchify words in ways that don't make much sense. :lol: Sometimes, they even take actual French words and botch the pronunciation ([ˈlɑnʒəɹej]). :P


Or [foɹtej]. I only recently made the connection between this word and the nearly identical Catalan fort.

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 19965
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Confusion Between Similar Languages

Postby linguoboy » 2016-12-21, 15:52

vijayjohn wrote:
dEhiN wrote:And even though grande as used by Starbucks is Italian, I said it with a French pronunciation because I know French, not Italian.

This is probably why English-speakers in general often Frenchify words in ways that don't make much sense. :lol: Sometimes, they even take actual French words and botch the pronunciation ([ˈlɑnʒəɹej]). :P

There was a good article I read years ago I dearly wish I could track down again which made the argument that French is the "default foreign" language for English-speakers. This helps explain why we so often substitute /ʒ/ for /ʤ/ in foreign names (e.g. Beijing, Taj Mahal) and pronounce ch as /ʃ/ (e.g. Chavez, Chandigarh, bruschetta) or give Germanic names like Mandel final stress.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

User avatar
dEhiN
Posts: 4066
Joined: 2013-08-18, 2:51
Real Name: David
Gender: male
Location: Toronto
Country: CA Canada (Canada)
Contact:

Re: Confusion Between Similar Languages

Postby dEhiN » 2016-12-21, 16:36

linguoboy wrote:There was a good article I read years ago I dearly wish I could track down again which made the argument that French is the "default foreign" language for English-speakers. This helps explain why we so often substitute /ʒ/ for /ʤ/ in foreign names (e.g. Beijing, Taj Mahal) and pronounce ch as /ʃ/ (e.g. Chavez, Chandigarh, bruschetta) or give Germanic names like Mandel final stress.

Interesting theory. I wonder if it's because of the Norman French rule and subsequent influence French had on Anglo-Saxon?
My TAC for 2017.

N:(en-CA) | B2:(fr) | A2:(es-CO)(pt-BR) | A1:(ja)(ko)(sv)(ta-LK) | A0:(de)(fy)(hi)(hu)(it)(pl)(ro)(tr)

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 19965
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Confusion Between Similar Languages

Postby linguoboy » 2016-12-21, 18:06

dEhiN wrote:
linguoboy wrote:There was a good article I read years ago I dearly wish I could track down again which made the argument that French is the "default foreign" language for English-speakers. This helps explain why we so often substitute /ʒ/ for /ʤ/ in foreign names (e.g. Beijing, Taj Mahal) and pronounce ch as /ʃ/ (e.g. Chavez, Chandigarh, bruschetta) or give Germanic names like Mandel final stress.

Interesting theory. I wonder if it's because of the Norman French rule and subsequent influence French had on Anglo-Saxon?

It's more because of the recent historical prestige of French. For most of the last two centuries, if an English-speaker was going to learn to speak a foreign language in order to travel abroad, French was easily the most likely choice.

The article ends by suggesting we may be in a period of transition with Spanish--now by far the most common second-language for native Anglophones--superseding French in this role. But I think the evidence for that is weak. (I've never heard anyone pronounce a non-Spanish name with /h/ for j or g, for example.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons


Return to “General Language Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests