Wanderlust support group 4

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Wanderlust support group 4

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-18, 18:25

I have no idea whether one is more of a visible minority than the other or anything, but in the US in general (and I presume this is true of Hawaii as well), it can be pretty easy for minorities to be invisible.

Anyway, if at any time I start doing Polynesian languages, I think I'd start with Hawaiian. :)

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2017-03-19, 10:09

It certainly doesn't hurt either that the NZ national anthem is partly sung in Maori* and that the haka is so popular.

*This reminds me that my mother came into my room when they were playing the NZ national anthem before the Rugby World Cup final 2011 and asked, with panic in her voice, "Is that English?" :lol:
Please correct my mistakes!

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-19, 10:42

Car wrote:This reminds me that my mother came into my room when they were playing the NZ national anthem before the Rugby World Cup final 2011 and asked, with panic in her voice, "Is that English?" :lol:

Why the panic?
My TAC for 2017.

N:(en-CA) | B2:(fr) | A2:(es-CO)(pt-BR) | A1:(ja)(ko)(sv)(ta-LK) | A0:(de)(fy)(hi)(hu)(it)(pl)(ro)(tr)

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2017-03-19, 10:47

dEhiN wrote:
Car wrote:This reminds me that my mother came into my room when they were playing the NZ national anthem before the Rugby World Cup final 2011 and asked, with panic in her voice, "Is that English?" :lol:

Why the panic?

Because she thought it was English and didn't understand a thing. Not a nice feeling for a former English teacher.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-19, 11:02

Car wrote:
dEhiN wrote:

Why the panic?

Because she thought it was English and didn't understand a thing. Not a nice feeling for a former English teacher.

:rotfl: :rotfl: I can understand that! I didn't know your mom was a former English teacher. My aunt (who's from SL) has lived and taught English in Germany for probably at least 30 years. She lives in Cologne I believe.
My TAC for 2017.

N:(en-CA) | B2:(fr) | A2:(es-CO)(pt-BR) | A1:(ja)(ko)(sv)(ta-LK) | A0:(de)(fy)(hi)(hu)(it)(pl)(ro)(tr)

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2017-03-19, 13:05

dEhiN wrote:
Car wrote:
dEhiN wrote:

Why the panic?

:rotfl: :rotfl: I can understand that! I didn't know your mom was a former English teacher. My aunt (who's from SL) has lived and taught English in Germany for probably at least 30 years. She lives in Cologne I believe.

I had similar feelings when I first heard their anthem, although I at least suspected it might be Maori. Nice to hear that.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-19, 23:59

Some people on my mom's side of the family have/had taught English in NIgeria at some point in their lives, I think in Hausa-majority areas in the north.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-03-21, 11:55

I talked some Kurdish the other day with my friend and it made me wanderlust for ... Dari. :) Right now I'm listening to a free sample of Pimsleur's Dari lessons.

Michael

Postby Michael » 2017-03-23, 10:42

voron wrote:I talked some Kurdish the other day with my friend and it made me wanderlust for ... Dari. :) Right now I'm listening to a free sample of Pimsleur's Dari lessons.

And I'm wasterlusting for Tajik! In fact, not just wanderlusting for it; I'm earnestly considering a return to my Persian studies, taking advantage of this as an opportunity to branch out into Eastern Persian. Also (even though I'm 4 days late):

Sâl-i Nav-i 1396 [Hazâr-u-Sêsad-u-Navad-u-Şiş] Mubârak ba tû, yâ rafîq!
Meaning, in Tajik: "Happy New Year 1396 to you, my friend!"

In addition, since Nowruz has just been celebrated, here's a neat map I stumbled across while browsing headlines on BBC Persian which identifies all the countries that celebrate the holiday and measures the extent to which the various countries celebrate it.

Also, I love this Tajiki Nawrôz song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZvRuZJ3_Ng
Last edited by Michael on 2017-03-25, 4:38, edited 5 times in total.
American English (en-us) Pizzonese (nap) N Mexican Spanish (es-mx) Brazilian Portuguese (pt-br) Italian (it) [flag=]sq[/flag] B1 Greek (el) Persian (fa) A2 Turkish (tr) Azerbaijani (az) A1 Old English (en_old) A0
“Ic eom māra þonne þes middangeard; lǣssa þonne håndwyrm; leohtre þonne mōna; swiftre þonne sunne.”

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-03-23, 10:51

Newroza te ji pîroz be, Michael :)

Here is a Newroz message from the Turkish president Erdoğan in 7 languages, including three Kurdish varieties:
http://nerinaazad.net/tr/news/regions/t ... roz-mesaji

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-03-23, 21:08

Michael wrote:Sâl-i Nav-i 1396 [Hizâr-u-Sêsad-u-Navad-u-Şiş] Mubârak ba tû, yâ rafîq!

*Hazâr in Eastern Persian :wink: Bar şumâ ham mubârak bâd!
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-24, 0:15

That map is so weird. They correctly specify parts of Russia and China where Nowruz is celebrated but don't do the same for other countries for some reason. It's weird to me that they portray India (the whole country!) as celebrating Nowruz even though winter doesn't even exist south of Gujarat (and isn't even all that cold except up in the Himalayas, either) and Parsis in India are mainly concentrated in Gujarat and Mumbai AFAIK. There seem to be similar problems with claiming that Turkey, Syria, and Iraq celebrate it. I will concede that none of that is as weird as pretending all of Mongolia celebrates it, though, when apparently only one Kazakh-majority province bordering Kazakhstan does. :shock:

Vlürch

Postby Vlürch » 2017-03-24, 15:38

Now I'm starting to wanderlust some form of Persian but have no way to do it, since I have to use my mum's computer after mine broke (graphics card and power thingy, at least; nothing related to using XP), and I don't have any of the pdf dictionaries or shit (they're on an external hard drive, but I don't even dare try checking if my mum's laptop can handle it; it's 1TB, so...) and I don't have any physical dictionaries of Persian or anything. How did I not realise that coming to Unilang would do this to me... fuggg

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-24, 19:29

Well, there's always these:

www.easypersian.com
www.farsidic.com

That's what I used to use back when I was studying Persian in conjunction with LP and (before that) my brother's friend's first-grade textbook from Tehran. :P

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-03-24, 20:29

I'm wanderlusting for Persian again. Partly because I'm reading a novel translated from Kurdish and partly for other reasons.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-24, 23:31

vijayjohn wrote:http://www.farsidic.com

That site no longer seems to exist. :(
My TAC for 2017.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-03-24, 23:34

I'm going completely against the grain I guess. Chinese has been bugging me lately. I pulled out my Hakka textbook and was thumbing through it a bit.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-24, 23:40

Now I think I've started wanderlusting for like all the languages I said I was thinking of eventually beginning to study on my TAC. :lol: Damn Oirata having no resources for it and looking too familiar!
dEhiN wrote:

How doesn't it? It works for me.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-24, 23:59

vijayjohn wrote:
dEhiN wrote:

How doesn't it? It works for me.

Oh my apologies, it does work. I guess when I first clicked on it, it gave me a 403 error.
My TAC for 2017.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-03-25, 9:17

linguoboy wrote:I'm wanderlusting for Persian again. Partly because I'm reading a novel translated from Kurdish and partly for other reasons.

What is the novel?

Return to “General Language Forum”