Pseudo-Anglicisms, adapted Anglicisms

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Varislintu
Re: Pseudo-Anglicisms, adapted Anglicisms

Postby Varislintu » 2016-08-04, 19:30

I've realised that the clothing item for babies that's known as a body in Finnish and Swedish isn't called anything remotely like that in English (?). I've come to understand that it's called a baby romper. This made me curious as to where body came from. Finnish probably took it from Swedish usage, but where did Swedish take it from?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2016-08-04, 19:42

Varislintu wrote:I've realised that the clothing item for babies that's known as a body in Finnish and Swedish isn't called anything remotely like that in English (?). I've come to understand that it's called a baby romper. This made me curious as to where body came from. Finnish probably took it from Swedish usage, but where did Swedish take it from?

I've never heard of a piece of clothing called a "romper", though Wikipedia tells me it's one-piece garment which combines shorts and a shirt. This is extremely similar to the garment I know as a "onesie". Again, Wikipedia tells me that the generic name for this is "infant bodysuit".

So, at a guess, "[infant] bodysuit" > "body".
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2016-08-04, 19:55

linguoboy wrote:
Varislintu wrote:I've realised that the clothing item for babies that's known as a body in Finnish and Swedish isn't called anything remotely like that in English (?). I've come to understand that it's called a baby romper. This made me curious as to where body came from. Finnish probably took it from Swedish usage, but where did Swedish take it from?

I've never heard of a piece of clothing called a "romper", though Wikipedia tells me it's one-piece garment which combines shorts and a shirt. This is extremely similar to the garment I know as a "onesie". Again, Wikipedia tells me that the generic name for this is "infant bodysuit".

So, at a guess, "[infant] bodysuit" > "body".

Really? :shock: Wow, I thought I had actually looked into this before bringing it up here, but I somehow missed all that. Thanks! That certainly makes sense. :yep:

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2016-08-04, 20:00

We use that in Portuguese as well.

I suppose it comes from (British) English body "woman’s close-fitting stretch garment for the upper body, fastening at the crotch."
Quite similar to those babies wear.

Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2016-08-04, 20:13

Luís wrote:I suppose it comes from (British) English body "woman’s close-fitting stretch garment for the upper body, fastening at the crotch."
Quite similar to those babies wear.

Oh, that can be called a body, too, in English? I only knew the words leotard and unitard (both of which are very funny sounding words :lol:).

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2016-08-05, 3:52

I've never heard that kind of clothing called a "body", only a leotard. There's also the word "bodysuit", which I thought covered the whole body but apparently can also mean something more like a leotard.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2016-08-05, 5:46

Yea, that's called body in a lot of European languages, but not in English. Maybe an abbreviation of bodysuit?

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2016-08-05, 7:32

Not unheard of. The French word (and a lot of other languages' words apparently) for "tuxedo" is smoking, shortened from "smoking jacket".
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2016-08-05, 20:00

Like Luís wrote, it's British English:
clothing
[countable] (British English) (North American English bodysuit) a piece of clothing which fits tightly over a woman’s upper body and bottom, usually fastening between the legs

http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.c ... glish/body
Please correct my mistakes!

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2016-08-05, 20:03

Never heard that usage of "body" before, but maybe I'm not watching the right programmes.

[flag=]es[/flag] ticket receipt
Last edited by linguoboy on 2016-08-05, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2016-08-05, 20:47

OldBoring wrote:school - 学院, department of a university, or college constituting a university.
college - 学院, either same as "school" above or a university institution with only one "college".

That use of "school" is common in Canadian English ("The Joseph L. Rotman School of Management", "Sauder School of Business", "UBC School of Music", "BCIT School of Computing and Academic Studies", etc.). Maybe you got it from us. :P Using the word "college" like this is also common in the US and the UK.

"College" is also used in Canada and the US for what are basically higher education institutions focused in an area, like liberal arts colleges such as Wheaton College. This use of "college" seems similar to the second use of "college" in the English produced in China that you mention.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2016-08-05, 20:59

My favourite pseudo-Anglicism in Salvadoran Spanish is mix y mix 'more or less' (the adverb, not the quantifying demonstrative).

—¿Cómo estuvo la fiesta?
    —Mix y mix.

"How was the party?"
    "More or less (good)." ~ "Was alright."

Ok, it's not quite a pseudo-anglicism as much as it is a term formed with an anglicism. The conjunction y in the middle is ostensibly not an English word.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2016-08-05, 21:08

linguoboy wrote:Never heard this usage before, but maybe I'm not watching the right programmes.

[flag=]es[/flag] ticket receipt

That's not a Pseudo-Anglicism, but rather French ;)

At least in Portuguese we even pronounce it /ti'ke/.

It seems French borrowed "ticket" from English back in the 18th century, which in turn came from French "estiquet". So yeah, that word kept going back and forth across the Channel.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2016-08-05, 21:22

Yeah, some speakers pronounce it [tiˈkete] in Spanish even.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-08-06, 6:39

Serafín wrote:That use of "school" is common in Canadian English ("The Joseph L. Rotman School of Management", "Sauder School of Business", "UBC School of Music", "BCIT School of Computing and Academic Studies", etc.). Maybe you got it from us. :P Using the word "college" like this is also common in the US and the UK.

All of those examples sound exactly like American usage to me, too.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2016-08-06, 9:51

Car wrote:Like Luís wrote, it's British English:
clothing
[countable] (British English) (North American English bodysuit) a piece of clothing which fits tightly over a woman’s upper body and bottom, usually fastening between the legs

http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.c ... glish/body

Thank you!

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2016-08-12, 6:45

[flag=]fr[/flag] stripteaseur (-euse) - stripper
English meaning: The equivalent formation "stripteaser" exists apparently, but it sounds odd to me. "Stripper" is a lot more common in my experience.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2016-08-12, 15:03

[flag=]it[/flag] ticket - prescription charge of the National Healthcare

Serafín wrote:—Mix y mix.

Reminds me of Argentinian Spanish maso maso.

Serafín wrote:That use of "school" is common in Canadian English ("The Joseph L. Rotman School of Management", "Sauder School of Business", "UBC School of Music", "BCIT School of Computing and Academic Studies", etc.). Maybe you got it from us. :P Using the word "college" like this is also common in the US and the UK.

"College" is also used in Canada and the US for what are basically higher education institutions focused in an area, like liberal arts colleges such as Wheaton College. This use of "college" seems similar to the second use of "college" in the English produced in China that you mention.

Nice eh.
I've found out that some "higher education institutions focused in an area" call themselves "university" in English, even when they are 学院 in Chinese. :shock: Translations into English are far from being consistent.

What seems unique in China is that international students are all grouped in their own classes, and are considered a separate "college", hence universities that accept international students have an "International School" or "International College".

vijayjohn wrote:All of those examples sound exactly like American usage to me, too.

On top of that, in China they use college the American way to mean "university" in general in daily life, like "going to college", "college student". The most widespread English textbook for universities is also called "College English" (Chinese: 大学英语). They also use the American words freshman, sophomore, junior, senior. And consider it wrong to say "first year student", "second year student", etc.

In Italy people also use college to mean "American university", because American movies dubbed into Italian use the word "college", they don't translate it. For us, "college" has become associated with university campuses with dorms and all the services cause students live inside. While Italian universities tend to have only classrooms and libraries, and very limited dorms available.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2016-08-12, 18:23

On top of that, in China they use college the American way to mean "university" in general in daily life, like "going to college", "college student". The most widespread English textbook for universities is also called "College English" (Chinese: 大学英语).

That's perfectly normal Canadian and American usage. It's a bit colloquial.
And consider it wrong to say "first year student", "second year student", etc.

I see. Yeah, in Canada we usually say "second year student", etc.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2016-08-12, 18:44

Serafín wrote:
And consider it wrong to say "first year student", "second year student", etc.

I see. Yeah, in Canada we usually say "second year student", etc.

At my university (Chicago), we used "first-year", "second-year", etc. (up to the tongue-in-cheek "nth-year student"), but we were exceptional in this respect. I don't think I know of another US university that prefers this scheme to "freshman", "sophomore", etc. and I ascribed it to the fact that many students at Chicago finished their undergraduate degrees in more or less than four years.

Return to “General Language Forum”