Pseudo-Anglicisms, adapted Anglicisms

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Pseudo-Anglicisms, adapted Anglicisms

Postby OldBoring » 2021-07-07, 9:46

...and coffee shop in the Netherlands... well everyone knows.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-07-31, 21:13

TIL that in addition to common meanings like "[camera] flash" or "[news] flash", Flash in German can also mean "the rush when a drug injection kicks in". Perhaps this usage also exists in Anglophone drug-user slang, but if so I've never come across it.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-09-24, 23:03

OldBoring wrote:...and coffee shop in the Netherlands... well everyone knows.

I didn't know that and had to look it up.

Indian English has the word paise from Hindi. One rupee = 100 paise. 1/100 of a rupee is one paisa.
However, it also has the word pice, which used to mean a unit of currency that was even smaller than a paisa.

It also has the word pie, from [paj] in Hindi meaning 'quarter'. Originally, it was equivalent to 1⁄192 of a rupee. The plural of pie is pies.

However, it seems to me that people later interpreted pies as an alternative spelling for paise.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-11-22, 1:37

languagepotato wrote:I don't know how widespread the words for fist bump are in the rest of the Netherlands but in my area they're quite common

(nl) power/box - fist bump

German (de) die Box - loudspeaker (box-like encasing with one or more loudspeaker devices in it), stable stall, pit in motor racing

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-11-22, 4:54

vijayjohn wrote:
languagepotato wrote:I don't know how widespread the words for fist bump are in the rest of the Netherlands but in my area they're quite common

(nl) power/box - fist bump

German (de) die Box - loudspeaker (box-like encasing with one or more loudspeaker devices in it), stable stall, pit in motor racing

(et) boks - storage compartment (individual compartment in a shared shed or garage, or individual shed in a row of sheds), stall (such as for selling items at a fair), pit (in motor racing)
Boksipeatus or "box stop" means a pit stop in motor racing and by extension it's also the name of a fast-food burger restaurant.

One of the things they serve at Boksipeatus is another adapted Anglicism:
(et) pihv (from "beef"): any ground meat patty or meat-like patty
(fi) pihvi any ground meat patty or meat-like patty or thick steak-like cut of meat or vegetable
so you can have a kanapihv/kanapihvi (chicken patty, which Boksipeatus amusingly translates as "chicken beef" on their English menu), köögiviljapihv/kasvispihvi ("vegetable beef" :mrgreen: ) for a vegetarian patty, etc.

Which reminds me of another:
(et) broiler chicken meat, chicken grown for food
(fi) broileri chicken meat, chicken grown for food

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-11-22, 17:40

So apparently, Dutch has boks, box, and box. :hmm:
Saim wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Urdu (ur) سلائس / Hindi (hi) सिलाइस [sɪˈlajs] - Western-style (sliced) bread

Also ڈبل روٹی / डबल रोटी [ɖəbəl ro:ʈi:], from "double", presumably from the fact that a sandwich is made up of two slices of bread ("double bread").

Idk why I never said this, but the proposed explanation I read for this is very different, namely that Western-style loaves of bread are so fat and yeasty compared to South Asian ones that astonished native speakers gave it this nickname.

cHr0mChIk

Postby cHr0mChIk » 2022-01-01, 17:56

Not sure if anyone mentioned
Serbian (sr)Bosnian (bs) ekstra "great, awesome"
English meaning: something additional.

Also theres
Serbian (sr)Bosnian (bs) golman "goalkeeper"

I've seen partibrejker has already been mentioned.

Another one which comes to my mind, which I've heard being used is erkondišn "air conditioning"
Speaks: English (en) Bosnian (bs) Serbian (sr) Romani (rom)

Learns: Arabic (ar) Urdu (ur) Pashto (ps)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-01-16, 16:11

cHr0mChIk wrote:Not sure if anyone mentioned
Serbian (sr)Bosnian (bs) ekstra "great, awesome"
English meaning: something additional.

Extra at least used to have the meaning of 'great, awesome' in English, too. Now, people seem to use it more in the sense of 'over-the-top'.

Indian tie - possibly outdated term in Indian English also used in other Indian languages meaning a small piece of cloth similar in function to a thong
blouser - gloves. I'm surprised I've never mentioned this one before. When my dad was in band, all the boys were embarrassed when told they were supposed to wear "gloves" [gɭaws] because to them, it sounded like "blouse" [bɭaws], so they tried to make them sound more masculine by calling them [ˈbɭawsər].

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-12-27, 6:28

(et) start takeoff, liftoff, blastoff. It can also be used for the start of a race.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2023-07-23, 9:18

German: Kicker table soccer

Funnily enough in English we also have the fake German word "foosball" for the same thing, coming from Fußball, which in German can only means soccer.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2023-07-28, 17:50

Saim wrote:German: Kicker table soccer

I know it's been mentioned already upthread, but I just love that the common French term for this is baby-foot or just baby. Apparently in Switzerland they also say foot-foot.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2024-02-24, 23:10

(et) avraal ad hoc or emergency work done together, especially by the whole crew of a ship; all-out effort to get a job done
(ru) аврал ad hoc or emergency work done together, especially by the whole crew of a ship; all-out effort to get a job done; all hands on deck

from English overall.

Return to “General Language Forum”