Please identify the language

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

languagepotato

Re: Please identify the language

Postby languagepotato » 2018-12-13, 18:35

My family and i can't figure out what language this song is in. my brother thinks it's Somali. I, think it's an afro-asiatic language too (mainly due to the voiced pharyngeal fricative i hear in the uncut version), but i can't place it, to me it sounds like Arabic gibberish.

song.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
native: (ar-MA) (nl)
very comfortable: (en-US)
somewhat comfortable: (de) (es) (af)
forgetting: (fr) (ar-arb)
touristy level: (ro) (sv)(ber)(pl)
someday hopefully: (ja) (sq) (cs) (tr) and many others

Vlürch

Postby Vlürch » 2018-12-17, 5:35

languagepotato wrote:My family and i can't figure out what language this song is in. my brother thinks it's Somali. I, think it's an afro-asiatic language too (mainly due to the voiced pharyngeal fricative i hear in the uncut version), but i can't place it, to me it sounds like Arabic gibberish.

Could it just be some variety of Arabic, or some Arabic-based creole like Juba Arabic or something? Just the fact that there's [æl] all over the place makes me think that, but of course I'm probably wrong since I don't actually speak Arabic and you do, so if you don't think it could be any kind of Arabic...

...but could the word that repeats a lot be جعل or something? I mean, the fourth [d͡ʒæʔæl] or whatever especially sounds more like [d͡ʒæʔˤæl~d͡ʒæʡ͡ʕæl] to my ears even if the first three times it sounds like it just has a glottal stop, not sure about the fifth and sixth. According to Wikipedia, the ayin in Hebrew and Aramaic can be pronounced [ʔˤ], but it doesn't sound like Hebrew and I'm not sure if it's possible that you wouldn't recognise and understand Aramaic if it was that...?

I found this video that's apparently in Juba Arabic, not sure if it sounds the same as the song though since the clip you posted is so short and repetitive. Obviously, since I'm not even able to tell apart different Arabic varieties/dialects, I couldn't really figure it out anyway. I think it sounds more "African" than Arabic usually does, but maybe I'm only imagining that and I'll get called racist again... :para:

Well, whatever it is, it's a real earworm. I'm sure I'll have it stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-12-18, 6:22

It's Somali. It's this Somali song called "Jaceyl u Kac" by Mursal Faladagan (AFAICT "jaceyl u kac" means 'rise to love'):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAIUkNeb30w
Jaceyl is pronounced something like [d͡ʒəˈʕejl] and means 'love' in Somali.
Hegetsu wrote:Hello,

Do you know what is this language and what does it mean?

Like Multiturquoise said, it's Arabic, but it doesn't make any sense at least without further context. My best attempt to translate it into English is: "...available on the wall. There are bottles in it and through it, you ladies can see from your pain whether he has my refrigerator." :?:
Saim wrote:I can't make head or tails of this. The person who asked thinks it's Arabic, but I'm honestly not sure. My best guess is d-m-r-w-sh-n but I could be wrong.

I see something like دراڨنا with the qaf written like in Tunisia. دراقنا in MSA I guess would mean 'our peach', but drague in French means something else entirely, so maybe it has something to do with that? Idk. :P

Return to “General Language Forum”