Please identify the language

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Osias
Re: Please identify the language

Postby Osias » 2018-03-28, 11:26

:shock: :shock: :congrats: :congrats:
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2018-03-28, 12:12

Thanks everyone! :)

Saim

Postby Saim » 2018-05-17, 20:37

Is this a language? The first two words seem Scandinavian but the last two don't really look like anything.

"Flåd entæ m'krë īfhandæ"

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-05-18, 2:40

I'm tempted to say either it isn't or it's Chamorro. :lol:

JackFrost

Postby JackFrost » 2018-05-18, 23:54

It's obviously Danish.
Neferuj paħujkij!

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-05-19, 0:54

GT agrees with you, but translates nothing. :hmm:
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-05-19, 1:44

That's not Danish.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-05-19, 5:01

vijayjohn wrote:I'm tempted to say either it isn't or it's Chamorro. :lol:

JackFrost wrote:It's obviously Danish.

LOL. Actually, I can't think of any language that has all four letters å, æ, ë, and ī. Chamorro has å and Danish has both å and æ (flåd is even a real Danish word), but Chamorro doesn't have æ and neither Chamorro nor Danish have ë or ī. It's definitely not either of those languages. My guess is it's either an invented/constructed language, an encoding error of some sort (i.e., the letters with diacritics are supposed to be totally different letters), or not any real language at all.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-05-19, 5:18

Chamorro certainly doesn't normally have any of those letters besides å, but I'm wondering whether it's possible that this is some sort of ad-hoc alternate Romanization of it or something. I'm pretty sure Danish with an ad-hoc alternate Romanization still wouldn't look like that, though.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-05-19, 5:31

vijayjohn wrote:Chamorro certainly doesn't normally have any of those letters besides å, but I'm wondering whether it's possible that this is some sort of ad-hoc alternate Romanization of it or something. I'm pretty sure Danish with an ad-hoc alternate Romanization still wouldn't look like that, though.

I would say the same of Chamorro; even with an ad-hoc spelling it still wouldn't look like that. There's nothing even close to those words in Chamorro as far as I know, even with nonconventional orthography. So we've ruled out 2 languages. :mrgreen:

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-05-19, 11:23

Where did you find that, Saim?

JackFrost

Postby JackFrost » 2018-05-20, 16:01

vijayjohn wrote:That's not Danish.

It's written sound by sound. Just to represent the normally unmarked stød.

Like, I can't believe you can't see the standard word "kamelåså" at the end of the sentence.

I am not really serious. I just don't know what language it is really.
Neferuj paħujkij!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-05-20, 16:03

I don't think it is one.

anglenora2022

Help with language

Postby anglenora2022 » 2018-05-22, 3:49

Click the link and listen to the female vocals at the very start. At first it sounded Russian to me, but now I'm not sure :? . Can anyone identify the language/tell me what she's saying?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG4vS5NvEvY

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Help with language

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-05-22, 4:54

Based on the comments and this version of that same part of the song, I think it's Hebrew being pronounced really, really atrociously. At the end of the second line in this version ("Martha's Lament"), I hear ha-olam ('the world' in Hebrew), but in the version at the beginning of the Neurosis song, it sounds like it somehow became "hi, Ron." :roll:

"Martha's Lament" is apparently also called "Hebrew Lament."

Vlürch

Postby Vlürch » 2018-05-24, 12:26

Saim wrote:"Flåd entæ m'krë īfhandæ"

Some kind of nonstandard transcription of some Afro-Asiatic language, maybe?
anglenora2022 wrote:Can anyone identify the language/tell me what she's saying?

Well, like Vijay said, it's apparently Hebrew according to some random Facebook poster as well.

Vlürch

Postby Vlürch » 2018-06-07, 11:44

What language sounds like Arabic and Italian in equal parts? My first impression was that it was Arabic because I heard [ʕ], but otherwise it sounded a lot like Italian in its "flow" or whatever; I'm pretty sure there were [d͡z] and [ɲ], too. It might have had [θ] and/or other sounds that Arabic has as well, since somehow the pseudo-Arabic vibe stuck.

The speakers were three (incredibly beautiful :oops: ) women who, based on appearance alone, I'd have guessed to be Kazakh or maybe Kyrgyz or Uzbek, but whatever they spoke was like 80% certainly not a Turkic language; there weren't any front rounded vowels AFAICT and it just generally didn't sound Turkic enough.

Even with the [ʕ], it ticked off the "cute language" box in my head, though, when usually languages I find cute are Japanese, Korean, Turkish, etc. and tbh Finnish; my dad actually thought they were Japanese, and it did have something in common with that as well... probably just the vowels and "basic" consonants in addition to [d͡z], but still worth noting. It might also be worth noting that I usually don't find Italian cute, so the cuteness wasn't derived from its similarity to Italian.

Probably not relevant beyond possibly some implications, but they were obviously tourists and were taking selfies with a selfie stick, basically hugging each other under a coat (because it was raining a little), laughing a lot; I don't know if that kind of chill touristy behaviour rules out them having been some kind of Caucasians, but I also didn't hear any ejectives or weird sounds that most of the region's languages have, and the vowels seemed to be [a e i o u] or something close to that. I guess them having been some Caucasians would be statistically more plausible than many other possibilities because it'd mean they were technically from Russia, but I don't know? :?

Do any languages with both [d͡z] and [ʕ] even exist...? I mean, according to Wikipedia, Najdi Arabic has both, but I really doubt it was that because A) it didn't sound like it had emphatic consonants, B) it sounded way too much like Italian somehow, C) I just don't think Arabic can sound so cute, and last and probably actually least D) they didn't look like Arabs.

D would definitely not be a valid point if it was Najdi Arabic, since apparently it's the dialect spoken in Riyadh and there are immigrants from all around the world in that city, but assuming that's what Saudi government officials and whatnot speak, it was 100% certainly not that.

I'd think it was probably Maltese if it wasn't for the clear presence of [ʕ], the fact that I couldn't pick up a single word, and the unlikelihood of there even being three Maltese women of any Asian origin, let alone them presumably being friends and coming to Finland as tourists.

I swear, if it was Brazilian Portuguese...

EDIT: It did have front vowels, obviously, just not front rounded vowels. Kinda wondering how I even managed to forget the key word, "rounded", lol.
Last edited by Vlürch on 2018-06-07, 12:33, edited 1 time in total.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-06-07, 12:27

Vlürch wrote:What language sounds like Arabic and Italian in equal parts?

Maltese :P
The speakers were three (incredibly beautiful :oops: ) women who, based on appearance alone, I'd have guessed to be Kazakh or maybe Kyrgyz or Uzbek, but whatever they spoke was like 80% certainly not a Turkic language; there weren't any front vowels AFAICT and it just generally didn't sound Turkic enough.

Uzbek doesn't sound particularly Turkic, though...even though it is.
I heard [ʕ]

Are you sure about that and it wasn't just Japanese? :P
I guess them having been some Caucasians would be statistically more plausible than many other possibilities because it'd mean they were technically from Russia, but I don't know? :?

Do any languages with both [d͡z] and [ʕ] even exist...?

Chechen has both /dz/ and /ʡ/.
I'd think it was probably Maltese if it wasn't for the clear presence of [ʕ]

Maltese does have [ˤː], though.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-07, 12:44

I thought Chechen also has ʕ too.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2018-06-07, 12:56

Osias wrote:Where did you find that, Saim?

A friend sent it to me, and her mum had sent it to her asking what language it is. When I asked where her mum got it from she said she didn't know. Probably not a language, I guess.

Return to “General Language Forum”