Please identify the language

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Please identify the language

Postby aaakknu » 2020-12-29, 19:44

vijayjohn wrote:Is there some particular reason why you're wondering? Did you hear these words in Indonesia at some point? :hmm:

I don't remember where I heard it anymore (
I think it was some kind of recording/video I found.
Trying to recall what it was, because I'm very curious now.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

oho

Postby oho » 2021-01-20, 20:01

Screenshot_20210120-204412~2.png

What does it say?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oho

Postby oho » 2021-01-28, 20:11

https://youtu.be/Qh7wkbt7YRU

What language is this?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-01-28, 21:28

oho wrote:What language is this?

Hindi/Hindustani. This is the Bollywood song it's sampled from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXZ_Cj-G2V4.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

oho

Postby oho » 2021-01-29, 14:00

Thanks!

becky.beck2005

Help please

Postby becky.beck2005 » 2021-04-17, 10:11

ok so I bought a book called The Story of Grettir The Strong translated by erik magnussen. There is writing on the inside and I dont know what it says. If anyone could help me that would be great. I'll type what is written. I'm not sure of some of the letters because of the calligraphy

Astkorum is I or irici

H.E. Helgesen

Fra

Ericki magnusfyni

Thats whats written in. Thank you

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-04-20, 7:10

I'm assuming this is Icelandic since it sounds like it.

Maybe the first word is Ástunum, literally meaning something like 'to the loves' or 'for the loves'?

The third line is presumably frá 'from', and the last one must be the translator's name.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2021-04-20, 23:47

Maybe old norse? I don't know how much they differ in spelling. Or at all.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-04-21, 1:19

Osias wrote:Maybe old norse? I don't know how much they differ in spelling. Or at all.

There are a number of differences. One of the most obvious is that the ON masculine nominative ending -r corresponds to Icelandic -ur, e.g. sonr vs sonur “son”.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-04-21, 1:41

Icelandic:
H.E. Helgesen = H.E. Helgesen (name)
frá = from
Eiríki Magnússyni = Eiríkur Magnússon (translator's name, in dative case because the preposition "frá" requires the dative case here). Perhaps he also used Ericki as a form of his name, or maybe it says Eiríki.
Áskorun means an appeal or challenge to do something. It seems the calligraphy style has made it difficult for Becky to reproduce the text here, so the first line is difficult to decipher.
In any case I would say this book once belonged to someone named H. E. Helgesen, who either received it as a gift from the translator or asked the translator to autograph it.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2021-04-21, 22:11

linguoboy wrote:
Osias wrote:Maybe old norse? I don't know how much they differ in spelling. Or at all.

There are a number of differences. One of the most obvious is that the ON masculine nominative ending -r corresponds to Icelandic -ur, e.g. sonr vs sonur “son”.

Obrigracias.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

StigOne

Postby StigOne » 2021-09-01, 19:42

hello everyone, I have a photo in which there is a word in an ancient language: can you understand what language it is and what is written? thanks

this pic: https://imgur.com/5lM1fnN

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-09-01, 20:53

StigOne wrote:hello everyone, I have a photo in which there is a word in an ancient language: can you understand what language it is and what is written? thanks

this pic: https://imgur.com/5lM1fnN

It looks like Tengwar, an invented writing system for the artificial languages used in Tolkien's works such as Lord of the Rings. So, it is not really an ancient language, but rather an artificial language designed to look like one. I'm not sure what it says (possibly it is the name Neal?).

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-09-01, 21:01

It's Tengwar, one of the scripts invented by J.R.R. Tolkien. The values of these characters varied according to which language they represented. (There are various different adaptations of it to writing English, for instance.) The first character, for instance, can be read /ŋ/ (like the ng in sing), /ɲ/ (like the ñ in año), or /n/. The second is a nonstandard way of writing /eː/ (normally you wouldn't use the stem and the vowel point would be doubled and placed over the preceding consonant), which--if the language depicted is meant to be English--might be pronounced [iː]. And the third character is /l/.

Given that there is no word *ngél, *nél, or *ñél in the extant corpus for Quenya and Sindarin, my best guess is that this meant to be read */niːl/, which would be a phonetic rendering of the personal name Neil/Neal. That seems plausible for a tattoo (which this is) in any case.

ETA: Looks like Linguaphile and I were composing our posts at the same time and both independently arrived at the same conclusion!
Linguaphile wrote:So, it is not really an ancient language, but rather an artificial language designed to look like one. I'm not sure what it says (possibly it is the name Neal?).

StigOne

Postby StigOne » 2021-09-02, 8:22

thank you for the your answer! But I'm still confuse.

See this pic:
1234.png

It's this the good "translation"? and does the word at the bottom, according to omniglot.com/conscripts/tengwar.htm, translatable into "nn" ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Moraczewski

Postby Moraczewski » 2021-11-26, 9:15

https://disk.yandex.com/d/7L8EgRWMlUqFyw
What language could this be? May be Gypsy?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-11-26, 23:59

Doesn't sound like Romani to me.

The title of the clip is apparently "катушка фируза 3 2 7.mp3." Фирүзә means 'turquoise' in Tatar. Could it possibly be in Tatar?

Tbh, though, my first thought was Serbian, though I don't think it sounds much like that, either. :hmm:

Moraczewski

Postby Moraczewski » 2021-11-27, 22:17

vijayjohn wrote:D
The title of the clip is apparently "катушка фируза 3 2 7.mp3." Фирүзә means 'turquoise' in Tatar. Could it possibly be in Tatar?

Nevermind the filename, I wrote it myself. Firooz is my friend's name and the track comes from his tape reel, that's what the title says. He knows nothing about the origins of the music on the tape, it was recorded by his grandparents long before he was born.

Desard

Postby Desard » 2021-11-28, 12:23

Hi guys,

i recently bought an old hand plane and i am currently trying to determine its age. There are 3 letters i can't identify (probably the initials of the owner).
I bought the plane in Austria.
It got other carvings on it which were found on similar dutch planes form the 18th century.

It looks a bit like bastarda to my noob eyes.

Unbenannt.JPG

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-11-29, 14:30

Looks like "SEE" to me.

Return to “General Language Forum”